OT Tire pressure sensors

Chevy...and yes, that is how you have to do it.

Toyota have always been ahead of everyone else (IMO).

My '88 Supra has standard features that still aren't standard features on most newer/modern cars.

Reply to
Ron

This isn't all SUVs, it was certain Ford Explorers with a SUV body on a passenger car suspension and the wrong tires spec'ed because Ford was in bed with Firestone.

They are hitting a fly with a huge government sledge hammer.

Reply to
gfretwell

Don't believe so but one went bad in wife's Subaru and it cost $200 to have replaced.

How did we survive all these years without these? Thank the bastards, you know where.

Reply to
Frank

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news7.newsguy.com:

All the sensor does is detect the absolute pressure inside the tire; it doesn't care about anything else.

Some types of sensors are unique to each tire, and communicate with a receiver mounted on the body near that tire, which then talks to the TPMS computer. Other types communicate directly with the TPMS computer, meaning the computer doesn't know which tire is low, and you need to check all four.

The "unique sensor" type seems to be found mostly on vehicles marketed as higher-end.

If the stem is metal, then you have a sensor screwed to the other end of the stem.

If the stem is rubber, then there is nothing attached to the stem; instead, TPMS uses the ABS to infer pressure differential from tire to tire: too great a difference in rotational speeds, then one tire is lower than the other.

Reply to
Tegger

No, I've done it by myself on two different Buick's (6 years apart)--same process.

Reply to
Bill

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not quite.

Ford was seeking a softer ride for the Explorer, so they specified a lower pressure than Firestone spec'ed for that tire. The problem was that by spec'ing such a low pressure they removed the safety factor, meaning that only a little pressure could be lost before the tire was in danger of overheating. Then one day an Explorer in Texas during a heat wave had a low-pressure situation, a tire blew, the vehicle rolled and somebody died. I can't quite remember now, but I believe the deceased was beltless.

Ford tried to blame Firestone, which did their own investigation, discovered the non-authorized pressure setting, and disclaimed responsibility. Then the lawyers and activists got involved and we now have mandated TPMS. Never mind that Texas-type incidents are vanishingly rare ("if it saves just one life!"; "it's for the Children!").

An expensive and troublesome government sledgehammer. I've noticed a surprising number of people just ignoring the light. They check the pressures and they're all apparently fine, so they give up.

Reply to
Tegger

Thank you for providing an explanation.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

What in the world vehicle is this on???? Some firmware engineer needs firing over that one...

GM vehicles are simply manually set pressure w/ tire gauge to desired and then hit a 'Reset' button on the monitor screen...there are very slight differences in where the function's hid but if you've done one you can figure out any other that I've seen w/ only a few tries...

Reply to
dpb

Well, DOH!, no, but it's far less of an occurrence other than perhaps after a flat repair or the like. Plus, in general most current passenger tires are rated for 40 or so psi as max and they'll actually run cooler (albeit harsher ride) at the higher pressures so it's pretty unlikely to ever have one high enough to actually be a real concern...

Possible, sure, but not very likely particularly in comparison to under-inflated which is both more likely from starting at low recommended pressures with any leakage and that low pressure equates to more sidewall flexure which is more heat which is the real culprit in causing failures at speed. There's secondary contributor to excessive/uneven treadwear of course.

Reply to
dpb

Not true... they last about 5 years as long as they aren't abused by an idiot that doesn't know how to mount and dismount tires.

But yes, they are expensive. about $50/wheel for my BMW (well, a lot more if you shop at the BMW dealership)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Typically you can also get temperature information from the sensors. However some (most) vehicles do not present the information to the driver. e.g. while the sensors are reasonably accurate my old company car (GM) would only display pressure information and my current BMW dumbs it down even more and just displays a green/yellow/red indication on a graphic.

They're not really unique, but when buying replacements there are different models that communicate at different frequencies.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

That right there is probably why some people recommend sensor replacement with tires, because labor is expensive. If you're paying to have the tire mounted and balanced anyway, $200 for four sensors is "insurance" because you'd lose if even one of the sensors went bad before you had to replace tires again.

I have to admit to having gambled and lost; I had the wheels refinished on my car last winter (I have a set of winter wheels and tires; powerful RWD cars, summer-only tires, and snow don't mix) and at the time the car was four years old (was a very early 2009 model year build.) The guy doing the wheels said my valve stems were unsalvageable, could I please find him new ones. I asked if I should get new sensors at the same time; he said "probably not."

I had a TPMS fault when I mounted the wheels in the spring :( Even more irritating, I couldn't fix it myself because my car doesn't display the measured pressure in each wheel or even tell me which sensor isn't communicating; I would have needed either a OBD2 scanner or the tool that the local tire shop uses that basically is a receiver for the signals that the TPMS sensors send out. And yes, I paid more than it would have cost to order the sensors from Tire Rack to get one from the dealership and have the tire shop install it. You live and learn.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I had a Volvo in which one of the sensors went bad. I'd get the warning on very hot days, temps over 90 F. The first time it went on, I pulled over an d checked the tires; all were OK. After a few times, I just started ignorin g it. I routinely check the tire pressure on both cars and the truck every month.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

I have a bad one on my Toyota truck. The tire place where I bought some tires wanted about $ 60 or $ 70 to replace one. Did not check with Toyota dealer. The truck will pass the state inspection (NC) without it, so I just ride around with the warning light on now. Before I got it in 2007, I did not have an air sensor and got along just fine checking the tires every month or so.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Take a look at the pictures at

Retired

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

What I meant was that each sensor on such a vehicle is unique to each /wheel/; IOW, you can't swap them around without doing a relearn.

Reply to
Tegger

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in news:vO2dnScTB61eqfTPnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

You and uncountable thousands.

These days all it takes is a few incidents (or just one) to cause major changes in policy covering millions of actions. Completely unrealistic, but that's government by activism.

Reply to
Tegger

Costco doesn't replace with new----they use a kit and rebuild (replace seals etc.) for about $8.00 ea (at least that's the amount I seem to recall--could be different but it wasn't expensive) MLD

Reply to
MLD

The only warnings I have ever received were while on a road trip and they were "tire pressure too high".

Reply to
Ron

True - I didn't consider that as it's cake easy on my car. Takes about

2 minutes whenever I swap wheels. Some other vehicles require a procedure with deflating and reinflating tires in sequence which is a pain unless you have a compressor.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel