OT Tire pressure sensors

Good! Make a CCW permit a requirement for voting. It's a good ID, after all.

The economy will crash and they'll die off. ...too stupid to live.
On 10-24-2013, 01:56, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: > This isn't all SUVs, it was certain Ford Explorers with a SUV body on

And as usual, the politicians can't understand that the fly is faster than the sledgehammer.
--
Wes Groleau

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!
On 10/23/2013 6:48 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

"Money saving?" for a passenger vehicle? No, not really unless one paid no attention otherwise it's possible. They are a safety feature that is worthwhile imo; again if paid attention to when indicate low pressure. For commercial I think there's no question of "yes" than can easily be cost effective...
Where did you hear they need to be replaced every tire change? I've vehicles well over 10 yo with them and have never replaced a single one and they still check out w/ a gauge.
The firmware has to be reset for a reference point after one has been off the rim but that's just mashing a couple of buttons on the control panel--just how depends on the vehicle, of course.

On 10/23/2013 8:50 PM, dpb wrote:

So just ignore over inflated?
On 10/23/2013 9:38 PM, Ron wrote:

Well, DOH!, no, but it's far less of an occurrence other than perhaps after a flat repair or the like. Plus, in general most current passenger tires are rated for 40 or so psi as max and they'll actually run cooler (albeit harsher ride) at the higher pressures so it's pretty unlikely to ever have one high enough to actually be a real concern...
Possible, sure, but not very likely particularly in comparison to under-inflated which is both more likely from starting at low recommended pressures with any leakage and that low pressure equates to more sidewall flexure which is more heat which is the real culprit in causing failures at speed. There's secondary contributor to excessive/uneven treadwear of course.
On 10/24/2013 8:56 AM, dpb wrote:

The only warnings I have ever received were while on a road trip and they were "tire pressure too high".
On 10/24/2013 11:56 AM, Ron wrote: ...

On a half-dozen or so GM and Chrysler vehicles I have/had that's never happened -- the firmware seems to have sufficient leeway on high side to account for warmup. I tend to run to the higher range of rated pressures; 35-36 usually instead of the low 30's typical of the vehicle column stickers. Whether that has any bearing or not I've no data to refer to. I have had a time or two when did have a low warning the second morning out -- why that's a pretty common possibility for us will be seen from the next paragraph. :)
Since we're on several miles of gravel roads and there's always new junk turned over every time they're graded, punctures are a way of life, particularly on the passenger cars. Hence it's pretty common to get a 'low' indication the next time go get in the car from having acquired a new slow leak...that is actually a useful feature particularly for the wife to go by the tire shop when she gets to town if it's at, say, 20 or so so it'll make the 5-mi or so trip...or even if lower to add some air before she heads that way. So, overall, imo they're _a_good_thing_ (tm).

The pressure in tires rarely increases by itself. ;-)

Then how come in NASCAR they start out with really low tire pressures at the start of the race or after a pit stop to allow for the pressures to build up?

And it goes up more during the race, until you have to let some out?

Crew chiefs (some better than others) know how much pressure will build up during a run so they adjust accordingly. Some tires do gain too much pressure which makes the front end bounce. It has been described as driving with 2 basketballs on the front.
Check out what a team (RCR) did back in '06
http://www.sbnation.com/2006/09/rcr-caught-pushing-envelope.html

This came as second hand info from my sister.

On 10/23/2013 10:41 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

And the "tire store" told your sister this? I'm just guessing here, but I think it's a good guess.
On 10/23/2013 8:50 PM, dpb wrote:

Snipped and hit send by mistake above......this is what I have to do....and it's a PITA.
There are two different ways to relearn your Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). One is with a TPMS scan tool (this is the preferred method) and the other is the manual method (pain in the "you-know what", but requires no special tools or equipment).
To use the manual method, set the parking brake. Enter into TPMS RELEARN using the Driver Information Center (DIC) controls. (SEE Owner's Manual)
When you have successfully entered TPMS RELEARN, the horn will chirp and the left front turn signal will illuminate. Increase or decrease the tire inflation pressure on the left front tire for 8 to 10 seconds. The horn will "chirp", indicating that the left front tire pressure sensor has been relearned and the turn signal at the right front will illuminate. Repeat the process for the right front tire. The horn will chirp and the right rear turn signal will illuminate indicating that the right front tire has been relearned and now you must now repeat the process at the right rear tire. Then you will have to repeat this a fourth time at the left rear. When the left rear tire has been relearned, the horn will sound a "double chirp" indicating that the relearn process has successfully completed.
Ron wrote:

Yep, that's how I did it! I had to read it a couple of times before I believed it! LOL
On 10/23/2013 11:41 PM, Bill wrote:

And you need two people to do it.

Are you serious about this ?
What kind of vehicle ?
My Toyota only requires a simple press of a button.
I have seen where you may have to do something like that to reset or use another of the door unlocks.
On 10/24/2013 12:10 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Chevy...and yes, that is how you have to do it.
Toyota have always been ahead of everyone else (IMO).
My '88 Supra has standard features that still aren't standard features on most newer/modern cars.
On 10/23/2013 11:54 PM, Ron wrote:

No, I've done it by myself on two different Buick's (6 years apart)--same process.
On 10/24/2013 8:38 AM, Bill wrote:

If going by horn chirps...but you can't see the right rear tail light while putting air in the tires.