OT Tire pressure sensors

Anyone think those are a money saving devices? I just learned that the sensors in tires should be replaced every time you buy tires and they are over 40 bucks per tire.

The cost would seem to outweigh any savings from preventing any improper tire wear.

Reply to
Metspitzer

I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be "reset"--not trivial, but takes less than 5 minutes after you spend 10 minutes reading the directions in your owners manual.

Reply to
Bill

It's more about safety than anything, and helped keep the SUV markets alive when roll overs were happening with them. Next time ur on the highway and a big arse SUV is running along side or coming at you, it would be best if it had enough air in it's tires.

Fat-Dumb and Happy

"Money saving?" for a passenger vehicle? No, not really unless one paid no attention otherwise it's possible. They are a safety feature that is worthwhile imo; again if paid attention to when indicate low pressure. For commercial I think there's no question of "yes" than can easily be cost effective...

Where did you hear they need to be replaced every tire change? I've vehicles well over 10 yo with them and have never replaced a single one and they still check out w/ a gauge.

The firmware has to be reset for a reference point after one has been off the rim but that's just mashing a couple of buttons on the control panel--just how depends on the vehicle, of course.

Reply to
dpb

Where is this "every time" idea documented ??

Depending on which style of sensor is used, only the rubber valve stem needs replaced with a repair/rebuild kit like this:

or

Do a little reading here:

Retired

Hi, IMO, that's a matter of personal opinion. Our cars came with it on both summer tires and winter tires which has Nitrogen gas inflated. I like it as a safety feature.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Metspitzer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

They're not meant to be money saving.

They're meant to satisfy an NHTSA safety regulation that all tires have their pressures monitored by an on-board computer.

The idea is that you'll thus be less likely to have a blowout that might cause the vehicle to crash and kill you. Not that that's particularly likely anyway, but once activists and bureaucrats get a bee in their bonnets, there's no stopping them.

Who told you that? It's wrong. The TMPS sensor should unscrew from the valve stem, allowing it to be transferred to the new valve stem that will come with the new tire.

Reply to
Tegger

Lemme guess...the tire store told you that.

Reply to
Ron

Not on my vehicle (the 5 minutes).

Reply to
Ron

So just ignore over inflated?

Reply to
Ron

That would make more sense.

Reply to
Metspitzer

This came as second hand info from my sister.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Snipped and hit send by mistake above......this is what I have to do....and it's a PITA.

There are two different ways to relearn your Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). One is with a TPMS scan tool (this is the preferred method) and the other is the manual method (pain in the "you-know what", but requires no special tools or equipment).

To use the manual method, set the parking brake. Enter into TPMS RELEARN using the Driver Information Center (DIC) controls. (SEE Owner's Manual)

When you have successfully entered TPMS RELEARN, the horn will chirp and the left front turn signal will illuminate. Increase or decrease the tire inflation pressure on the left front tire for 8 to 10 seconds. The horn will "chirp", indicating that the left front tire pressure sensor has been relearned and the turn signal at the right front will illuminate. Repeat the process for the right front tire. The horn will chirp and the right rear turn signal will illuminate indicating that the right front tire has been relearned and now you must now repeat the process at the right rear tire. Then you will have to repeat this a fourth time at the left rear. When the left rear tire has been relearned, the horn will sound a "double chirp" indicating that the relearn process has successfully completed.

Reply to
Ron

And the "tire store" told your sister this? I'm just guessing here, but I think it's a good guess.

Reply to
Ron

I remember while I was driving my full sized V8 powered Dodge van when something like a Toyota SUV pulled up next to me and the damned thing was bigger than my van. Geeez! o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yep, that's how I did it! I had to read it a couple of times before I believed it! LOL

Reply to
Bill

I was under the impression the sensor was viewing a profile of the tire. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is anything attached to the valve stem!

Reply to
Bill

And you need two people to do it.

Reply to
Ron

Are you serious about this ?

What kind of vehicle ?

My Toyota only requires a simple press of a button.

I have seen where you may have to do something like that to reset or use another of the door unlocks.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I'll just stick with my factory aluminum vale stems when I need a tire change.

Reply to
Ron