Can you return a tire you don't like for full refund?

Can you return a tire you don't like for full refund?

I was recently advising a neighbor to buy a tire at Costco, TireRack, or SimpleTire, when she asked if she can return for a full refund a tire she doesn't like, after it's mounted and used for a period of time (let's say a few weeks).

I didn't know the answer. I still don't know the answer after googling a bit.

Here's what I found at Costco: I don't see anything in a quick pass that gives you the ability to return a tire for free yet.

Here's what I found at TireRack: You have "about a month" (it depends) to get the tires replaced where "in some cases" you can get "most" of your money back, but in most cases you have to pick another tire by the same manufacturer.

Here's what I found at SimpleTire: I don't see anything in a quick pass, other than the original manufacturer warranty.

We've all had tires that made too much noise or that wobbled on rain grooves or that were slippery under certain conditions, which is why I hope to ask you for your experience in RETURNING a tire you didn't like (within let's say the first month of use).

Can you return a tire you don't like for full refund?

Reply to
Arlen Holder

This is what it actually says at TireRack:

"Manufacturer Special Warranty - Test Drives/Satisfaction Trials

If a retail customer who purchased eligible tires is not completely satisfi ed, they can return the tires to the location from which the tires were pur chased within the specified period (usually 30-, 45- or 60-days) for exchan ge for another tire model made by the same manufacturer or, in a few cases, a full refund (freight not included). Original proof of purchase is requir ed."

My reading of that is it only applies to certain tire manufacturers and probably only to some of their tires, where they offer that special return option. I'd be surprised if it covered many tires that TireRack actually sells. And then consider if you buy a $150 tire from TireRack, you have it shipped, let's say that costs $20, you have it mounted, that's another $20. Now you decide you don't like the ride. Are you going to pay the cost to dismount it, ship it back, probably pay the shipping for the replacement, then pay to have it mounted again? Most people will do the math and figure out that while the ride may not be ideal, the whole return process and cost is worse. So, I would take that guarantee at TR with a grain of salt and I bet it's rarely actually used.

If a particular manufacturer offers it on a tire avaialable at a local deal er, then I guess the options and math could be better, but I would read their fine print too. If this was commonly available and used with little real cost to those using it, I could see it being abused by finicky customers and then the rest of us wind up paying for it.

I've never needed to do it, never had new tires that were anywhere near that unacceptable, nor do I know anyone who ever returned new tires after they were used because they did not like them. Before I buy tires I do my research both on the tires and I try to find as many reviews as possible from people who have them on the same or similar vehicles as mine. The internet has made that a lot easier.

Reply to
trader_4

That's a good point that even the TireRack ability to return a tire is likely only for certain brands.

The calculation is accurate where the shipping, lately, for TireRack, is free because, I think, they're competing with SimpleTire which seems to almost always (if not always) ship for free.

But when you ship it back to them, it's going to cost you something like $15 to $20 per tire for shipping, plus another $15 to $20 perhaps in shipping on the return tire, plus another $15 to $25 for mounting and balancing of the replacement tire.

That's a $45 to $65 per tire loss on each tire, which I would think you wouldn't incur unless the tire tread really annoyed you somehow.

If Costco offers that option, I would think you'd save most (or all) of that cost, but does Costco offer that option?

Reply to
Arlen Holder

Why not just call Costco and ask them?

Reply to
trader_4

I am betting if you had the tires off the rim and took them up to the service desk, they would refund your money with a receipt. No matter what you are going to eat the mounting and balancing.

Reply to
gfretwell

Thanks for finding that on the Costco tires and batteries. It only makes sense, since they are wearable items, where I would think they can't sell either one used like Fryes does.

I think electronics at Costco are only 90 days also, whereas everything else I think is forever.

So only TireRack, so far, will, under unknown but certainly limited circumstances, take back a tire that has been mounted.

Reply to
Arlen Holder

You just moved the goal posts, probably without realizing it. Whatever Tire Rack and any manufacturer have that they are talking about is mounting and using the tires for 30, 60 even 90 days. That's different than just mounting them. I would expect that if you bought a tire and just mounted it, many places would swap it for another tire. Some places you might even be able to drive around 10 miles, realize the tire is too wide for the suspension and they'd probably swap it. That's different than driving on them for 1000 miles for a month, and then coming back and saying I don't like the ride or handling, etc, which is what it appeared you were asking about.

Reply to
trader_4

trader_4 posted for all of us...

Bingo!

Reply to
Tekkie®

Arlen Holder posted for all of us...

Depends on where you get it. What is *she* not going to like? I didn't like a set of Hankooks the place recommended, vibration problems. Replaced with Yokohama and pleased. Not only is this place the cheapest around but mount and balance for free. Rotate and rebalanced for free. One guy runs around with a Snap-on torque wrench doing all the lugs.

Are you the same guy with a different nym that has harbor freight stuff and posts pictures?

Reply to
Tekkie®