Woo hoo. Just got my first clutch kit - for replacing my first clutch. Wish me luck!

Woo hoo! The kit arrived today, so, I'm going to replace my first clutch ever!

Any advice is welcome on the R&R as this is my 1st transmission removal.

I think I have "most" of the normal tools (sockets, wrenches, pliers). I bought a new transmission jack & four 15-inch 6-ton jack stands. I bought 20 inches of half-inch and 3/8-inch socket extension bars too. I don't have a bearing puller but I saw the newspaper & grease trick.

I kind of wish I had thought to buy a fork and an oil seal (90311-38032), but I didn't think of the oil seal when I ordered the parts - but I'm thinking of it now as I run through a mental checklist of what I'm going to need. I will run to the local stealer and get that oil seal for sure.

The parts are for a 1998 Toyota Tacoma.

I have a shop lined up to resurface the flywheel if it's scored but they only work weekdays so resurfacing may be out of the question since it has to be back on the road by Monday.

Any useful advice is welcome as this is my first clutch job in my life.

Reply to
Arlen Holder

I think it comes out only at the bell housing to engine bolts anyway.

The spline tool (plastic) comes with the Aisen clutch kit.

I was going to reference the pics but I realized when I looked just now that the URL I gave you is all f***ed up. I never used that site before.

Let me try another but please ignore the previous URLs (I uploaded but didn't test them first!).

My bad.

Here is the Aisin clutch kit.

And here are the five parts of that kit, one of which is that tool.

Reply to
Arlen Holder

I'm hoping that I bought enough extension bars for the transmission length.

The clutch disk is marked DTX-137L & 6H26 but it doesn't say Aisin. It has a strange circular mark that I don't know if it'a a balance mark.

Since I'm discussing the marks, here are the rest of the markings.

The diaphragm is stamped Aisin 17.01.20 & CTX-106 whatever that tells me. The bearing is marked Koyo 6201 RS ROM 017 on one side and Koyo 6201 RS ROM

057 on the other side (where that's not a typo on the 0x7). The throwout is stamped KOYO JAPAN 49H & RCT356SA9. The plastic alignment tool is stamped USA 11, whatever that means.

That's all I know until I remove the transmission to look inside.

Reply to
Arlen Holder

I started late, and got the drive shaft out, all the electrical connections, and the wiring harness. I'm stuck on the second of two 14mm starter motor bolts, and I'm not sure if the cross frame has to be unbolted, but that's where I am tonight.

Reply to
Arlen Holder