Clutch bolts and locktite

Which is best for dropping the transmission?
Do you remove the crossmember, the bracket, or just the transmission mount? * Crossmember
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?fileb90082bracket03.jpg
* Bracket
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?fileB22146bracket02.jpg
* Mount
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?filea37530bracket01.jpg
Also, do you locktite the bolts when you re-install? (What color?) http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file 54142locktite01.jpg
On 7/22/18 4:10 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:

If you have to ask those questions, the job is above your pay grade...
--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

On Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 9:59:25 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:

Might also help to specify the make, model, year. When you know that, there are plenty of resources from Bentley and similar manuals that are typically available for purchase or at the library, to Youtube vidoes showing it being done. I'd bet "removing XXXX model YYYY transmission" would produce a lot of hits from people who have the vehicle and have done it.
Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

I believe this guy is the valve stem thread, harbor freight bead breaker, tire spec, brake lining spec Ultrec nym shifter. If he would just post under one name then I and more people would help him. Since I posted this the insults and diversions will now start.
--
Tekkie

On 7/23/18 2:40 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Yeah, he was offended by what I said and took a shot at me in another newsgroup over it. I was really just trying to help the guy out.
Asking those rookie questions before starting the major repair he was contemplating, I had visions of him mangling his hand, crushing his fingers, or a heavy overhead assembly slipping as he tried to remove it and dropping down onto him cracking his skull or crushing his chest.
When he sees this post- he'll probably go apoplectic!
--
If it is not right, do not do it; if it is not true, do not say it.
- Marcus Aurelius
On Monday, July 23, 2018 at 7:01:30 PM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:

mount?

r,

under

I didn't see any interest in my suggestion, which was one of the first, which was that there are repair manuals out there Haynes, Bentley, etc, probably available at the local library and even better, Youtube videos of guys doing the actual repair. The manuals generally have the steps, what needs to be removed, the order, whether the bolts need locktite or not, etc. The videos show guys doing it, shortcuts, possibly easier ways of doing it, what to watch out for, what tools to use, etc. Those manuals and videos have saved me countless hours on things like how to pull a door panel or how to change a chain in a transfer case on a particular vehicle. Seems a better idea than asking people here without even stating what vehicle it is, but to each his own.
On 23 Jul 2018 16:42:53 GMT, trader_4 wrote:

At this point, I don't remember your "suggestion" ... but ... bearing in mind very important facts: 1. I did the job so it's related to this newsgroup, and, 2. I have been posting to Usenet for decades, where 3. Cowardly bullies like Tekkie are a detriment to this newsgroup.
The facts are I clearly removed, and replaced that clutch, and I just as clearly wrote the extremely detailed DIY (and am still working on improving that DIY so as to give back to the team - which is because I'm purposefully helpful and a great Usenet citizen), snapping almost a thousand pictures, of each removal and replacement step and describing for the next person, how to do what I did (with the purposefully helpful & timely advice from many others here).
So it's eminently clear that I responded to everyone who had purposefully helpful intent and am only now getting to responding to the worthless trolls who wouldn't know a clutch plate from a dinner plate.
Given that a. I actually did the job, and, b. I am very smart and can handle complex details, and, c. I didn't have time to shut the bullying cowardly trolls up,
*I'm only now getting to your worthless posts*.
If you feel that I didn't have an "interest" in your suggestion, then you can rest assured, since I'm rather intelligent and logical, that I most likely thought your suggestions were worthless and not even worth at response at the time that I needed help.
If you feel otherwise, then you're welcome to make a technically on-topic and technically valid post. I challenge you to do so, in fact as I do believe that even you have some value to add to the technical topic.
On 29 Jul 2018 17:22:14 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:

OOops. Correction (since I care about my credibility)...
Cowardly bullies like Tekkie *and* Trader4, are a detriment to this newsgroup.
Note: Wade Garrett is just an annoyance, like an annoying gnat.
On 23 Jul 2018 11:40:10 GMT, Tekkie? wrote:

Notice that the guys who are the dumbest on this newsgroup, always find something that is completely unrelated to the clutch job, which is teh topic here, to "complain" about.
*This post by Tekkie proves, yet again, that he's an utter moron.*
The point here is that Tekkie has *never* once in his entire life added on-topic technical value to *any* thread. He's _that_ stupid, that he can't possibly add on-topic technical value.
Why do I say this now, after the clutch job is done?
Because Tekkie is a cowardly bully troll. a. He is a coward. b. He is a bully. c. And, worse, Tekkie proves how utterly _stupid_ he is in every post.
I confront cowardly bullies - in threads I care about - because I want those threads to come to a technical resolution.
Tekkie can be a cowardly bully on any thread that he wants to bully people on, and I let him be (yes, I read his idiotic posts all the time).
But that doesn't change the fact that Tekkie is a worthless cowardly bully. That fact is proven every time he posts - as he did here.
Meanwhile: a. I post a valid question, and I respond to all valid inquiries. b. Usually I have time to confront cowardly bullies - but not this time c. Yes, I care about my privacy - which is the only thing Tekkie sees.
Tekkie never once saw a 'clutch job' in this thread. Not once.
He's _that_ stupid (and it irks me that people are really as stupid as Tekkie proves he is every single time he posts).
Two related things irk me: 1. Cowardly bullies like Tekkie who have zero helpful intent, and, 2. Outfits like Sears/Midas/AAMCO who screw their trusting customers
On 22 Jul 2018 08:10:10 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:

SOLVED!
It's done. I am gonna take it for a smoke test.
The new tools I'm glad I obtained were the transmission jack (thank God), and the alignment tool that came with the clutch kit, and the assortment of extension bars, and the two M12x1.25 3-inch threaded dowels.
In the end, I removed more than is necessary, but I'm glad I did remove the front wheels (particularly the driver side), the front sway bar, the entire harness (every bolt and every sensor), and the cross member.
The bitch was the starter motor, both getting out and even worse getting back in, which is the only job that really required two people. I did everything else alone. The second hardest task was lining up the transmission to go in because you're staring at a hunk of aluminum not knowing why it won't move forward.
The top two 17mm bell housing bolts were not easy, but not all that difficult with 30 inches of extensions and swivels.
Pouring the new Redline MT-90 into the conning tower turns out to be the *easiest* way to refill a transmission, bar none.
Having four 15-inch jack stands was instrumental, as I needed at least 23 inches of clearance from the frame to get the transmission in and out.
The actual transmission work was easy, including the diaphragm, the pilot bearing, the throwout bearing, and the fork, but I would have liked thicker grease on the fork (but I only had Mobil 1 bearing grease).
I wrote up a detailed DIY so that others could benefit from all the work, and I took hundreds of pictures. I don't know if I'll ever associate the pictures with each task, but I'll try to help others.
Thanks for all your advice and help. If there is a bedding procedure, now is the time to let me know! Pictures later.
I very much appreciate you help, because it's my first clutch job ever and I have nobody around me who knows anything about cars - so your advice was instrumental!
Arlen Holder wrote:

Break it in just like you would do with new brake shoes or pads. Easy for a while before you lean hard on it.
On 27 Jul 2018 17:20:42 GMT, Hank Rogers wrote:

Thanks for that advice. I took it on a flat road and up a hill but not yet on the highway as it's kind of far so I'll let the driver do that.
I did stall it a couple of times when I was doing a first and reverse K turn, which is strange but that's because it used to grab almost at the top of the clutch pedal return, and even then, it had grabbed smoothly (since it was super worn).
Now it grabs much earlier and very firmly on the pedal uplift. Much earlier than it did before. But that old clutch had something like 90K miles on it, and about 10 years of driving, so a difference in feel is to be expected.
It's a self-adjusting (so to speak, but really that just means it's hydraulic) so there's nothing to adjust but pedal play to the master cylinder.
I'll deal with that adjustment later, as I've done it before and it's really not a hard science it seems, as there's nothing but a bit of free play to measure (you can't really measure it ... you just feel for it).
BTW, it's a stock 1:1 replacement for the 900 foot pound original clutch, where the Marlin Crawler outfit sells a 1200 pound clutch that they 'say' is better but I can't imagine what more foot pounds will do for a clutch since the engine only develops something like 250 foot pounds (which may not be the same type since one is angular and the other maybe not).
Anyway, everything is working - where I appreciate the help because it was my first clutch, which took more than twice as long as I had thought it would take and where, with your help, I did everything alone except for the starter motor replacement - where a friend helped me.
It feels good to finally know what a pilot bearing is, and where it goes, and how it goes in, and how it comes out. Likewise with the throwout bearing.
I did test Clare's suggestion on the old clutch plate and diaphragm where I can see now that gravity will pull it down off center which will then be bolted off center if I don't use the alignment tool. With the alignment tool, there was no alignment problem (other than having to jiggle the bejesus out of the transmission to get the splines to line up).
Another thing Clare and others suggested was to spin the transmission through the driveshaft, which turned out to be very easy when I tried it.
Overall, I'm glad I did it, as there are some jobs that are too big to do at home, where lots of people consider this one of them. I feel like I graduated, a bit, into an elite group, who has done a clutch at least once.
On 07/27/2018 06:20 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:

Reading between the lines he is not the principal driver. Maybe take it for a long, gentle road trip before handing it over...
Or there is the other school of break-in -- drive it like you stole it.
On 27 Jul 2018 18:10:52 GMT, rbowman wrote:

She drove it today on the highway and said it didn't vibrate, which is good because I had mounted and balanced her tires and replaced her rear drums where I made a rookie mistake by not putting the drum linkages back right.
This time, I rotated the tires again (she eats them up where I wish there was a way to cash in on the warranty since the car is aligned professionally and the tires are rotated five times a year in the X and then H pattern repeatedly (X then H then X then H, etc.).
I wonder if there is a way to "prove" you rotated tires when you do them at home? I never cashed in on a tire warranty in my life so I don't know how it works (do you ship them back the four tires, for example?).
I learned a lot I hadn't expected to learn, by the way, such as this is what the reverse sensor looks like apparently: <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file )72461reverse_switch.jpg>
And this is apparently the speedometer sensor: <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file 25189speedometer.jpg>
And that the clutch disc is asymmetric so it has to go in only this way: <
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?fileB93915clutch_disc.jpg
Filling the transmission with the Red Line MT-90 was a breeze from the top: <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file `63171trans_fliud.jpg>
But I wonder what this strange-looking "K" means on the conning tower? <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file 01901tower_k.jpg>
Arlen Holder wrote:

You should record all this long saga to a dvd, and give it to your great grandchildren.
They will sit around campfires in 2060 and show the videos while roasting marshmallows.
Maybe in 2160, they will still recollect old gram pa's heroic efforts in the olden days.
Maybe a statue in the town square.
On 28 Jul 2018 16:08:57 GMT, Hank Rogers wrote:

What I really love to do, for posterity, is write tutorials. I just posted the nascent tutorial to one of your other posts. Take a look at it, and note two things: a. I don't skip a single step (not a single bolt) b. I have pictures of everything
What I'd *love* to do is rip apart an old car and write the "hanes" manual where I'd do so much better than does Chilton or the FSM that it wouldn't be funny.
Of course, my method works for a "specific" car, so that would be my angle. A specific model, year, and engine and transmission.
Do you think there would be a market for such a car-specific (completely unlike Hanes/Chilton/FSM) perfect no-step-missed DIY as I write?

Nah, no market for it. The manufacturer has shop manuals for sale. I've had them for my last 4 cars. They can be costly, but I've managed to buy used ones on Ebay. I think the most expensive was about 45 bucks, but my cars were 10 years old when I bought them. But they can lead you down the wrong road. For instance, the procedure to replace the motor mounts on my '97 Lumina looked way too complicated and costly. I found a simple procedure on Youtube, and did it that way.
On 07/28/2018 11:04 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Yup. I've got the shop manuals for everything but the pickup. Some parts are good, some not so good. Then there are the five pages of specialized tools that you absolutely need which somehow I've never needed.
On 28 Jul 2018 23:50:18 GMT, rbowman wrote:

Hehheh ... that's a good point. The Bentleys are filled with that crap.
On 07/29/2018 02:33 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:

Fortunately, Bentleys have never been on my menu. My fling with British sports cars was enough. Damn Whitworth and all his descendants.