cleaning cloth seats in vehicle

Borrowed a car for a the weekend as mine went in the shop on friday.

Mine are all leather seats but this is a cloth seat. I just want to clean it for my friend before I return it. What do you use at home to clean such things?

Reply to
June Bug

There are spot carpet cleaners that I have used in the past. 409 comes to mind.

Reply to
badgolferman

The date is 24/09/2017 15:09

How do you clean with a can mechanically?

Never used a carpet cleaner except the hundred-pound weight rental kind which will tear up a cloth seat like there is no tomorrow.

How do you use the 409 spray mechanically? What's the chemical in a 409 carpet cleaner that's different than soap & water?

The real issue I ask is mechanical since I already have soap and water.

What do you use mechanically once you spray the soap and water?

Do you just spray the soap and water (or 409 but I doubt it is any different than just soap and water in a can) and then brush wet with a hair brush and let dry?

Only someone who done it will have the experience of what works and I haven't done it.

Reply to
June Bug

You've not done it, yes you question help. 409 is a good cleaner for the grime. Various ways to apply and clean it off the seats. Brush and sponge works.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you plan to do the whole interior - take it to a professional detailer and cough-up some cash. If you simply plan to do the grubby portion of the drivers seat - try scrubbing with a damp cloth and a bit of dish detergent. Don't soak it - dampen it. Keep renewing the cloth as you go - rinsing the cloth and wringing out. Finish with clean damp cloth and no soap. You won't get it to look new again - but you'd be surprised what some elbow grease will do. It might take a day to dry - put a fan on it to speed it up a little. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Sounds like you don't know much/anything about automotive upholstery cleaning. Think of how bad you're going to feel- and how mad your friend will be- if your well meaning gesture ends up doing more harm than good!

Not to mention some of the dirt spots might have sentimental value to your friend.;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

My wife has a container of carpet cleaner with a brush dispenser that you use to rub the foam in and then vacuum when dry. She says it works well. You could try it on the seat.

Reply to
Frank

Are genuine Toyota duplicate keys so expensive you need to F around with aftermarket junk?

Reply to
Tex

Have you replaced some of the keys from the past 15 or so years? They can be from $50 to $500. Yes, it can pay for F around and not all of it is junk.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I recently had good luck with Tuff Stuff multipurpose foam cleaner. I'd dripped some olive oil on the driver's seat (long story) and two applications of the foam removed the oil and six years of general grime.

Reply to
rbowman

First, I would look to yer local auto parts store and ask them. Meguiar's® makes a lotta that kinda stuff fer cars.

Second, I'd ask a "detailer" what (s)he uses. They are professionals and you can usually find one at most any car lot, new or used. Phone around. Meguiar's® has a pro detailer line, too, but you gotta buy a lrgr qnty (gallon sizes).

I've used Meguiar's® brand stuff fer a lotta things. A good product. In fact, I recently discovered Meguiar's® Hot Rims Wheel and Tire Cleaner is the only thing that will remove old kitchen grease from my late mom's everything. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Not sure how this will work, so ask a "detailer". ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

rbowman posted for all of us...

Hoagie mania?

Reply to
Tekkie®

+1

If the seats are a mess, I guess cleaning them on a car you borrowed may be OK. But there is some risk as to how it comes out. Any auto parts store, Walmart, etc has products for cleaning auto seats. Typically it sprays on and you can rub as much or as little with a brush if necessary.

Reply to
trader_4

No. I've got a hatchback and the rear seat was folded down right after I took delivery and stays that way. To protect it somewhat I have a plastic tarp spread over the area. That's the setting.

So I bought some stuff from CostCo including a 1 liter glass bottle of super deluxe olive oil squeezed by Italian virgins or something. Got home, took everything into the house but forgot the bottle of oil. Later I remembered it but since I usually ride one of the bikes in the summer and don't drive the car I figured it could stay there until the next time I used the car.

Summer. Sun. Big glass window in the hatchback. Hot. The dark bottle the oil was in probably didn't help. When I went to retrieve it I found a shattered bottle and a liter of olive oil on the tarp. In trying to sop it up with paper towels I managed to drip some on the seat.

Moral: just buy the cheaper olive oil in the plastic jug.

Reply to
rbowman

On Mon 25 Sep 2017 07:01:47p, rbowman told us...

Or maybe just remember to take the bottle in the house in the first place. Olive oil degrades in both heat and light.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

+1

Extra virgin olive oil is one of the decadent pleasures in life. A little EVOO mixed with a splash of balsamic vinegar and used as a dip for fresh, high quality Italian bread is something that I can't resist. I can make an entire meal of that combination.

The hard part here is finding good Italian bread. My wife will occasionally bake some from scratch in our outdoor pizza oven.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Easy for you to say... I treat a hatchback as a very small pickup truck and it's easy to lose a 1 liter bottle amongst the bicycle, camping gear, packs, spare boots, trekking poles, range bags, targets, archery supplies, water bottles, and other random gear.

Reply to
rbowman

rbowman posted for all of us...

Does this carry thru to wine?

Reply to
Tekkie®

On Tue 26 Sep 2017 07:25:41a, rbowman told us...

Having just returned from the market, I have never left a food item in the car regardless of what else was in there. I guess you just need to pay attention to what you're doing. :-)

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright