Anyone know optical sensors

Good afternoon.

102F with a heat index of 125F here in NJ today... Death Valley, eat your heart out...

I've got a customer who wants to drill longer pieces of lumber - 10' to 20'

He doesn't want to use TigerStop to automate the process because it is a bit slow and/or the holes are in different places from log to log. He was thinking of manually or automatically marking the logs with black paint to show where the holes had to be drilled. Then a photo eye or something similar would see the mark and trigger an alarm of some sort to the operator that they are in the right location to start the automatic drill I'm selling him.

Question... Anyone know of a product that would allow him to do something like this? Any other ideas?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill

SEE ANSWERS IN METAL WORKING NEWSGROUP

Reply to
HotRod

Sorry meant alt.Machines.cnc

Reply to
HotRod

Hot?

Sounds like you are well in to Fall in Houston.

Reply to
Leon

Always try Radio Shack they have a small circuit engineering book and the components enough to get you going..... It's simple enough in most home type environments, but in a shop with dust and dirt you'd need a blower to keep the lenses and the work piece clean and you'll also have variations on wood color and knots of such. As for black paint, I'd go with a black or colored sticker (it's consistent). You'd have to shield it somewhat from ambient light too. You could consider a barcode reader system that not only triggers the alarm but will also identify the work order/owner/piece and could be incorporated in your billing.

Reply to
199.45.49.11

Are you retarded? Must be, ya poor thing! Got nothing better to do then drool and type shit huh?

Reply to
199.45.49.11

RADIO SHACK!!!!!!!!!!

Are you retarded? Must be, ya poor thing! Got nothing better to do then drool and type shit huh?

Reply to
Leon

Contact a Banner representative, they are one of the better photo-eye companies. Their diffuse sensor p-eye has an automatic teach button built into the eye so you can teach the areas you want to sense and the areas you don't.

of ready-to-use automation technology out there but this will get you the results you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Reply to
maico

|| First you said lumber, then you said log - which is it? | | Lumber in the form of logs... Maybe. I'm taking an educated | guyess based on what I've been told. From what I understand, they | are logs for a log home with flats cut on both sides to make them | lay like lumber with a rod or some sort of holding stud between | them. Not 100% sure. | || If the material is marked automagically, then the equipment should || already know where the holes are supposed to be! Possibly you/your || customer are trying to solve the wrong problem... | | Manual measuring and marking application. Nothing automatic on | this job except my drills and I think the saw. | || If it's a log, does it need to be rotated before drilling, or are || all the holes located along a single line? | | No rotation. All holes on same plane. | | Big job - more like construction than actual woodworking alone.

Gotcha - but I think the difference is only of scale. The earlier Radio Shack suggestion is good if you're (even minimally) electronically literate. If not, you're invited to e-mail me directly to discuss specs, schedule, and budget. :-)

Morris Dovey

not many places where you can still buy leds and components to build "electronic" things you see, you ignorant shit.

you still get glued to your hand jerking yourself all the time!

Reply to
199.45.49.11

yeah that's why your so feeble minded, you've been eating the solder and lead based paint chips!

Reply to
199.45.49.11