Tire pressure

I have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra for which I had to replace a damaged tire a few months ago. I just noticed that the max press on the new tire if 55psi while the max pressure on the other three tires is

45psi.

I inflate them all to 44psi. Does anyone see a problem with that? Thanks

Reply to
CRNG

Only problem is that 44 is too high, especially in summer. I usually go about 2 to 3 psi more than indicated on the door frame sticker for proper pressure.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Check the sticker on the driver's door frame or look in the owner's manual for the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure. Use whatever it says there.

44 psi sounds too high. If you inflate to 44 then run on the highway for a while, the heat buildup will raise the pressure above the recommended max. Remember what happened to those balloons at your eight birthday party when your friends blew too much air into them? ;-)

The reason the max pressures are different is that your new tire doesn't match the other three on your car. It has higher specs. Probably not a real big problem unless you moonlight as a NASCAR or Indy car driver.

BTW, the new tire has more tread that your old ones and that can affect handling. Though it may seem counter-intuitive, put the new tire on the rear.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

The recommended tire pressures are usually on a sticker on the drivers door-post. Not the maximum psi as stated on the tire ... I know this does not address your question - but might be useful information .. in general. My Kia has 33 psi as recommended cold tire pressure for front & rear - but the tires have a max. load at max pressure of 44 psi - big difference !

John T.

Reply to
hubops

The tire pressure should be what is on the sticker or manual or tire company recommends. Not the max presssure on the side of the tire. Too much pressure and you wear the tread in the middle of the tire and the outside part looks good. Too little and the outside tred wears out and the middle looks good in most cases.

If you have some extra heavy load or other unusual circumstance, the pressure can vary , but not in most cases.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Simple Google search for your year and model car says:

Hyundai Elantra: If properly inflated, the Hyundai Elantra's front and rear tires will read 33 psi as well.

Our Subaru dealer just told my wife that when she had her tires rotated they were inflated to 36 psi whereas door says correct setting is 29. They do this to make sure those damn low pressure warning lights don't come on.

Pressures do run one or two psi higher in the heat of the summer and are lower in the winter. Gas laws are nice to know:

Temperature is measured in degrees Kelvin.

Reply to
Frank

On Fri 06 Jul 2018 06:40:32a, Wade Garrett told us...

We have always inflated all tires on our cars to the pressure recommended by the car's manufacturer. Why tempt fate? Our newest car has tire pressure sensors and can notify us if any tire's presure has fallen below the recommended level. This has proved invaluable, as we currently have to drive through a construction zone and have picked up a nail on one occasion and several power staples on a second occasion. The sensors immediately notified us of pressure problems.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

My 2017 Elantra calls for 35. I do all four at 36 and they go up to

39/40 during a summer trip. Works great, and gas mileage has been great too.
Reply to
jtees4

Those sensors in the tire can go bad as could the detector in the car. Our Subaru's have only one warning light so once all the tires looked OK on my wife's car when the light came on so I inflated them all a few pounds above the called for pressure and the light stayed on. She did not want to drive just ignoring it and it cost $200 to replace at the dealer. I had to get a Toyota loaner once that had pressure for each tire. One got low but the screen did not say which one so I had to check them all to add air. As a rental nobody paid attention to the pressures and when I brought that screen up when the light came on the pressures varied over a 15 psi range.

Years ago a woman totaled my Subaru and I needed a new one as I was going on a thousand mile trip in a month. Car got great mileage and months later I discovered all the tires were over 10 psi above the recommended pressure. Dealer told me they were shipped to him that way as they might be stored for months on his lot.

Reply to
Frank

On 7/6/2018 5:56 PM, Frank wrote: ...

Been over 10 yr now since any new vehicle I've had hasn't had readout of actual pressure for each wheel independently.

While I don't deny it can and does happen, I've never had either a sensor nor readout fail and the sensors are within a pound of the manual gauge. I think they're quite reliable and a real treat...one of the relatively few added gew-gaws that actually is worth something...there are any number of other additional functions I've never used and don't even know what other things there might be--but they have no bearing on getting from point A to point B.

Reply to
dpb

CRNG wrote: "I have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra for which I had to replace a damaged tire a few months ago. I just noticed that the max press on the new tire if 55psi while the max pressure on the other three tires is 45psi.

I inflate them all to 44psi. Does anyone see a problem with that? Thanks "

Yes: The problem is a public misinformed as to such basic things as how much to inflate their tires to. Even ASE CERTIFIED MECHANICS inflate to a couple PSI below what is on the tire instead of taking 2.5 extra seconds to open the customer's vehicle door and read what is on the placard affixed there.

By instinct, the first place anyone looks to determine how much to set their tires to is the tire itself.

This is just one example of how misinformed the American people have become over succeeding decades, the other more recent example being who they elected to run their country. smh...

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I rented a Malibu from Enterprise in 2004 for a Florida trip. It had about 3000 miles on the odo. When I got on the interstate it was all over the road, had to constantly adjust to stay in my lane. Figured there goes my vacation, because I was going to turn around and take it back. As a last resort I stopped at a gas station and bought a tire gage and found the left front had 11 psi. Put 35 psi all around and it handled like a dream for the next

3000 miles. I had eyeballed the low profile tires and couldn't spot the low tire.
Reply to
Vic Smith

I park on / at the edge of the grass on my gravel driveway - and after almost 3 years with this Kia - when I eye-ball the tires - right-front looks soft - and when I check it - - nope - just me .. the little elevation change - on these low profile tires is tricky. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Yes. The `recommended`pressure for the tire on the car is something like 28 psi Best pressure is likely about 35

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On Fri, 06 Jul 2018 08:20:10 -0500, CRNG wrote in

Thanks to all for the comments.

Reply to
CRNG

Don't know when they got mandated. Wife's car is 10 years old and has them but I did not have them on car that would be 15 now. Don't think my 2 year old car has an individual pressure screen but I will have to look. Cars are better these days but all the gadgets can be a pain. First time I had to change the car clock to daylight savings time it took me a half hour to figure out how to do it.

My nephew who owns an auto body shop tells me they add to cost of repairs. I had a 5 year old car totaled 20 years ago. Air bags and seat belts kept me from getting injured by woman that hit me head on but car was totaled probably in part because both air bags went off.

Reply to
Frank

Good discussion of topic.

Reply to
Frank

Hadn't realized actually were mandated; Gargle says anything sold after fall, 2007...given the penchant of most folk to pay no attention at all, probably has prevented a number of blowout fatalities that otherwise might have occurred. Of course, there's no way in the world to know altho I suppose somebody has tried to do comparative statistics...

Indeed everything has gotten much more complicated and therefore, expensive...even farm tractor now has so much electronics that a power surge on a neighbor's cost over $10,000 in parts to replace various modules--fortunately for him, much was managed to be covered as warranty work by the local dealer--one not so willing to fight Deere corporate might have been different story.

Give me a '63 Chebby w/ just a modern suspension system and disc brakes, A/C and a few amenities and I'd be more than happy... :)

Reply to
dpb

On 7/7/2018 7:40 AM, Frank wrote: ...

GM of mid-2000s until at least whenever they introduced actual LCD screen interfaces just rotates the displayed info onto the one-line display with the 'road info' selector button; rotates thru mileage, tire pressure front, then rear, various other stuff...the '99 Chrysler 300M was similar. Don't have anything newer than '10 at the moment...

Reply to
dpb

I don't want to start a discussion about whether you should or shouldn't but one of the traditional little adders when you bought new tires was new stems. I was wondering how that would be treated with the new sensors. Ah, the TPMS rebuild kit! Can't let that cash cow die.

Reply to
rbowman