Anyone familiar with abs on a 2013 Hyundai i 20?

About two weeks ago the youngest daughter complained about a noise from the right front wheel. She engaged a local mechanic to investigate and he replaced the front brake pads which cured the noise. About a week later the ABS light came on. He reckons it will require a whole hub assembly which sounds odd to me. Sadly my creaky old knees don't let me do much of that sort of investigation any more. I'm wondering if the whole assembly story is actually true or if the sensor is available as a separate part. I'm familiar with discovery abs workings but not Hyundai but how different can the method of working be?'

Reply to
John J

The brake disturbance has caused an intermittent connection, should only be a check and reconnection on the ABS lead wiring.

Reply to
jon

It could be an issue with the sensor ring that is built into the hub. Had a similar problem with my VW years ago. Rusting of the ring messes with the optical sensor that monitors wheel rotation. Your mechanic could be spot on.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Weird. I'd have thought that they all used Hall-effect or Variable Reluctance sensors. Rust should have no serious effect on that.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Tim+ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

Not optical.

If it is like Daewoo, then (common) Fault Readers will not differentiate which wheel is at fault.

Reply to
JohnP

Not so long ago I changed a combined bearing / abs sensor assembly and got the same problem.

I hadn't latched the connector properly and they'd drifted apart. A firm shove cured the problem.

Reply to
Fredxx

AKA 'guitar pickups'

= moving metal and a wound magnet..my mate who is in the trade sez that giving them a damned good clean usually fixes it for a while at least

Rust CAN affect them if it gets embedded in mud.. Rust is maqnetic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They are magnetic, Hall Effect sensors.

Reply to