Tire pressure

On Sat 07 Jul 2018 06:37:09a, dpb told us...

I once hd a '65 Chevy Impala that had A/C and I was very happy!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I once had a '51 Chevy that did not have A/C, AT, PS, FI, air bags, keyless ignition, an ECU, seat belts, cruise control, backup monitors or any of the other necessary stuff. Hell, one fine day it didn't even have brakes; no dual braking system there. It cost me $35 and I was very happy.

Reply to
rbowman

You overpaid. My '64 Karmen Ghia convertible was equally equipped and it had no working heat. Paid $15. Did not run at the time though, bought it sitting on the side of the road.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yeah, but did it have those great vacuum wipers like my '51Pontiac?

Reply to
Gil

Factory says 35> run the fronts at 38 - doesn't hurt to run the rears there too - and rotate front to back ever5000 miles. Don't cross rotate. Make sure the alignment is right.

When you replace the tires put on an SUV tire instead of a passenger car tire n. The tires are too light for the vehicle IMHO.

I'd put on a set of Nokian WRG SUV tires. They are 102H 600AA XL 50000 mile rated tires

Part#t428831

Or the equivalent from the manufacturer of your choice. NOT a passenger tire.

Michelin doesn't make a 102H 600aa XL rated tire in your size (assuming you are on 16s). Not too many do. The Nokians are a bit pricy, but in my opinion worth it.

They will ride a bit harsher but they are up to the task.

Going +1 on the size - either 225 65 or 215/70 isn't going to hurt either.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Nah, for the extra $20 I got a car i could drive home and it had a working heater. When you live in upstate NY heat is essential. iirc Volkswagen owners tended to build campfires on the passenger side floorboards.

Somehow I made it through my youth without ever owning a VW. I rode in one once and drove one about 100' to get it away from a loading dock. The concept from its inception fascinated me but the closest I ever got was an Audi. Unfortunately that was in the early years when Volkswagen was still figuring out how to build a car with the engine and drivetrain in the front.

Reply to
rbowman

Damn straight. Ferry St. in Troy climbs up about 350' from the river and I went up blind more than once. None of the other streets were any kinder. Snow storms were a real adventure.

Reply to
rbowman

I put AC in my 1957 (Dodge) Fargo pickup before heading to the street rod nats in Tulsa in '76 - and I was VERY happy

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Didn't need heat in Zambia when I owned my only (1949) Beetle

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I think I have been through all the screens on my Subaru but do recall seeing one for tire pressure. I had to change dates for service and oil changes as the dealer sets them for half the time the manual mandates.

With complex manuals I've known people make an appointment with the dealer to learn how to use the electronics. Even the salesman that sold my brother a Subaru identical to mine did not know how to use them. I went back once when I needed to Bluetooth in a new cell phone and sitting in a car with a salesman on a cold day with engine and heater running he could not set it. Next day when I started the car I heard a ding indicating my cell phone was set. Apparently you have to reboot the computer in the car.

Guy who is retired and teaches part time told me that a lot of the younger crowd will trade in their car for a new one, not because the car is getting old but because the electronics are getting old. Also if out of warranty they can be a costly repair. One of our sons had a BMW where electronis failed under warranty and was told if not for the warranty it would have cost him $3,000 to repair. He sold that car and bought another brand new car and paid for an extended 10 year/100,000 mile warranty.

Reply to
Frank

When I bought the last Toyota it came with a radio. It didn't work so I called the salesman to make sure I wasn't missing anything. After being assured there was no secret ritual I investigated further and found that dealer prep did not include putting in the fuse for the radio.

With the one before that the salesman did volunteer the information on how to start the car after it thinks it's been in a wreck. This county has more miles of unpaved roads than paved and the accelerometers apparently were triggering on what was just a normal day on a rough mountain road.

Reply to
rbowman

I read that some dealers will send someone to your home of office and spend an hour with you to go over the electronics. It is overwhelming with everything going on when you pick up the car and the salesman give you an overview. A couple of days later is would be be easier.

I'm pretty good with that stuff but there are a few little used functions I stumble on even after having the car a long time. I also found it easier to download the manual and search for info as needed instead of sitting down with a few hundred pages of printed manual.

Yes, does not matter how much they otherwise like a car, if it does not have Android Auto or Apple Car Play it is not a contender for some.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Sun 08 Jul 2018 09:42:10a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

We were ready to buy a car regardless, but I made a point of buying one that had both Android Auto, Apple Car Play, and Bluetooth. I definitely wanted to be able to interface our cell phones with the car's electronics. Another feature (not so new) is having several programmable buttons that remotely operate garage or gate openers, house lights, etc. We bought this car last August and I'm still working through a few features I have yet to program. They're not neceesarily essential, but nice to have.

A week after we picked up the car I made an appointment with one of their technicians to walk through all of the programmable features. He was quite knowledgable and helpful.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright