How to inflate a wheelbarrow tire?

I went to use my wheelbarrel for the first time in a year or two and the tire was loose on the wheel.

Is this something that can be fixed? There doesn't seem to be anything, except air pressure, to hold the tire in place.

Reply to
Toller

Does it have a valve to allow you to add air ???

Reply to
news.individual.net

two and the

anything,

They call it a tubeless tire. Air does hold it in place.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

There is a valve in the wheel (not the tire), but the tire is loose on the wheel and all the air will just come out between the tire and the wheel.

All I have is one of those little 12v air compressors; but if no one has a better idea I will borrow a big compressor and see if the incoming air compresses the tire against the wheel well enough to seal it off. That seems unlikely, but I have no other ideas.

Reply to
Toller

you need to put some soap and water on the bead part of the tire then put some rope in the middle tighten the rope and it should force the bead to touch the sides you need lots of air coming out to catch it need to have a clip on chuck to hold the sir hose on!

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

i have or had the same problem..go to a lawnmower shop and buy a tube for the tire and put it in and then inflate and never have to add air again in two years.. before it was always using a piece of rope with a stick to squeeze the tire to seal up the rim so the tire would inflate, but now it is not any problem.... i think it cost me about $12 for a tire, the whole wheel barrow cost me $25.00 about 30 yrs ago........

Reply to
jim

Double check. Its probably a valve from an innertube inside the tire if its like most wheelbarrows

Reply to
Rudy

Tubeless tire.....

Easier to remove the tire and take it ( or the whole wheelbarrow ) to the bigger compressor--you need to find one that has a big tank....cause that 50 cent coin op jobby at the gas station probly wont do it either.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

That's how they work. I have seen a farmer wrap a cord around the tire tread to temporarily seal the rim while adding air. Look for a damaged tire, rim or valve.

Reply to
Phisherman

Run it over to the nearest place that 'does tires' and ask them to inflate it.

I had the same problem, and after a Net search and advice about using ropes, etc. it was easier to run it over to Belle Tire where they inflated it in a couple of minutes, no charge.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Do this at your own risk, but it works.

Spray a little starting fluid, and I mean a LITTLE into the tire, toss a match into it, POP, and the beads are against the rim and then fill it. Not responsible if you become a human candle.

Reply to
CBhVAC:)

That Starting fluid trick is what an Expedition of 2 Toyota Landcruisers showed on tv with large maybe 40" tires. They were running down around

5 lb. It worked. You might have a little water or beer nearby for safety though. Now of course some goof will try gasoline.
Reply to
m Ransley

Get a tool, and remove the stem from the air valve, and try again.

Opening up the valve allows enough air to get into the tire to inflate it so that it seats against the bead on the rim.

Once the tire is reseated on the bead, then re-install the valve stem, and pressurize the tire.

Reply to
John Hines

Clean it as good as you can, getting the dirt off the tire and rim. Wet it with a water solution containing a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid.

The next step can be a one man or a two man operation. Make a loop to go around the center of the rubber of the tire. Make it a little bigger so that you can insert a stick and turn it like a tourniquet. If you are a good rigger, you know how to do this with a rope and some loops. If you have one of those one inch ratcheting straps, that will work fine, too. If you have a chuck that will clamp on, that is good. Otherwise, you will have to hold the chuck on the stem. Get everything ready. Turn the tourniquet, or come down on whatever clamp you have. The beads of the tire will go out to the rim. You may have to push and pull a bit. Insert air into the stem, and keep it coming. Once all of the surfaces make contact at the same time, it will start to hold air.

I personally like the solid tires for wheelbarrows. In some cold places, they use starter or lighter fluid, and set the wheel on the ground. Some spray, and an ignition source, and there is a mini explosion inside the tire that forces the sides up onto the bead. I have seen it done, and it is pretty neat.

Good luck.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You left out one step. Take the core out of the valve stem so it can take a *lot* higher volume of air. Don't forget to put the valve core back when you get the tire bead seated. ;-)

You can also put a tube in a tubeless tire -- maybe not for highway speeds, but it's OK for a wheelbarrow.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I saw the same thing! I was going to respond, but you beat me to it. :-P

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Fritz

and if th erim has a slight defect, your local auto parts store should have a small can of rim sealer, or try your local tire emporium. An inner tube could work too.

Once the tire's seated it's easier to top off w/ a small compressor.

Reply to
The Masked Marvel

Well I ran into the same problem this spring. I finally managed to tie a strong cord around the tire,centered it and used a twist stick to tighten the cord enough to force the tire tight enough to the rim to seal it enough so that it would start to inflate using my electric tire inflator. Good luck!!

Reply to
Batman

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Not necessarily. He probably has a tubeless tire. The best solution to his problem is to put a tube in the tire. That's what I did to mine when it kept going flat and was difficult to get to seal when refilling.

Don

Reply to
Don