Tire pressure

I don't remember if my car at home has tire-pressure monitoring but the rental car does and of course the rental company gave me no information about how to use it.
It seems to me that when the light goes on, and I add some air to one or two tires that accept the air, even if I don't add enough, or maybe I add too much, then I hold the button in until the light goes off, and even if I have low pressure in a couple tires, even if the tires are uneven, the light will go off and will stay off because I said that that was okay. Is that right?
It seems very unreliable, especially since I didn't bring a tire pressure gauge, and though you can set the pumps here to the desired pressure, they don't seem to make any noise when filling or done filling.
On 4/14/19 10:32 PM, micky wrote:

Call the 800 number on your rental your contract.
Or stop by a tie center and ask them
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 14 Apr 2019 23:04:59 -0700, T

The rental contract doesn't say anything about tires. They rent more than one make and model of car, so if they are all similar, I'm asking here. If they are all different, I doubt customer service will know about my specific car. It's a Mazda 2.
I'm not in the US and there is no 800 number, but there is customer service. Still I doubt they'll know about something as small as the tire pressure, .
Also, I'm interested in how these things work in general, not just this particular car

I've been here for weeks and haven't noticed any tire centers. There are auto repair shops, but a good chance the mechanic won't speak English, or if he does, not well enough to explain details of tire pressure. He'll just say "Push the button.".
On 4/15/19 10:10 PM, micky wrote:

Where?
T posted for all of us...

Hopefully, far away...
--
Tekkie

On 4/18/19 1:07 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

How does the saying go? Be careful how you treat your children. They will be the ones choosing your rest home. Think of a facility thousands of miles away AND YOU WILL GET YOUR OWN ROOM!
Be fun to know where he is residing.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca says...

Don't forget about the spare tire either.
On 4/15/19 1:32 AM, micky wrote:

I'm told that you'll get better gas mileage if you air the tires up to 200 psi or so but never had a rental car to test that hypothesis on.

At 200psi you definitely won't burn much gas - but you won't go very far either.
On 4/15/2019 1:32 AM, micky wrote:

No, does not seem right. Mine goes on if a tire is low. Only way to get it off is to add air to the tire. Pretty simple system and shows which tire is low. In my case, it alarms at 28 psi.
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 15 Apr 2019 09:42:55 -0400, Ed Pawlowski

I'm sure at least one tire was low, and that the same tire was low the second time.

But you also have to push a button on the dash, right?

Mine doesn't show which tire.

Okay, I got the manual for a 2017 Mazda2 and it says '' To allow the system to operate correctly, the system needs to be initialized with the specifed tyre pressure (value on the tyre pressure label). Follow the procedure and perform the initialization.
Each tyre, including the spare (if provided), should be checked monthly when cold and inÀ ated to the inÀ ation pressure recommended by the vehicle manufacturer on the vehicle placard or tyre inÀ ation pressure label. (If your vehicle has tyres of a different size than the size indicated on the vehicle placard or tyre inÀ ation pressure label, you should determine the proper tyre inÀ ation pressure for those tyres.)
As an added safety feature, your vehicle has been equipped with a tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) that illuminates a low tyre pressure telltale when one or more of your tyres is signi¿ cantly under-inÀ ated. Accordingly, when the low tyre pressure telltale illuminates, you should stop and check your tyres as soon as possible, and inÀ ate them to the proper pressure.
Etc."
So, IMO, I'm right, the system is of no value for me because I don't know when a tire is correctly inflated.
I will add an undertermined amount of air every time the light goes on and when I return the car, I will tell them that the light went on 2 (or more maybe by then) times.
On 4/15/2019 2:36 PM, micky wrote:

No, just add air and the light will go off once above minimum pressure. No resets, no buttons.

As we used to say back when Usenet and AFU were a thing, "the world is a very big place".
Just because that's the way the TPMS on your car works doesn't mean that's the way it works on his.
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 15 Apr 2019 16:44:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski

That would be nice.
I guess I have the cheap model.
But that's why it would be in their interest to explain what I'm supposed to do. Another reason I'm not going to bother to ask them is that I don't mind driving on a tire that is slightly low. The car still handles the same. They are the ones suffering a little extra tire wear, and I'm not going to chase them to find out how to fill the tires.
Actually, I reserved a the cheapest AT model they had, but they didnt' have it when I landed, so they gave me the Mazda2, one or 1.5 levels better, and said they'd call me in about a week to trade it in for the really cheap one. They didn't so I wrote them and reminded them that I was ready to go back to cheaper. I hope they remember that when I return the car.
This car is supposed to carry 5 people. (The really cheap one carried four, or course.) That means there is a head restraint in the middle of the back seat, and at least once it kept me from seeing what was going on in the car behind me. Plus I presume the car is a bit wider than the really cheap car, and there are narrow streets clogged with cars and it might be better to thave a narrower car.
Maybe by now all the cars have bluetooth** but that wasn't true last year. The rental companies here keep cars for several years.
**I've gotten more calls while driving in the last 6 weeks, 5 or 6, than in a whole year or two at home.

The button is to CALIBRATE the system (to reset the preferred pressure). Of coarse Micky will screw with it and then complain the TPMS system doesn't work properly
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 15 Apr 2019 20:44:41 -0400, Clare Snyder

You're so full of baloney.

OK - I was wrong on one point. The "brain dead" Mazda system needs to have the button pushed to shut off the light - but I WAS RIGHT in that the button also RECALIBRATES the system to whatever pressure the tires are at when the button is pushed. I have just posted in a previous post links to the information supporting my statement - and I am also 100% positive of my assessment of your part in the whole saga.
Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

He will calibrate himself into stratosphere.
--
Tekkie

micky wrote:

IMO, cars should never have had computer nonsense added. Wouldn't a very basic, no computer new car be nice to buy...for so less price too. People are way too spoiled these days.
On 4/15/2019 10:19 AM, Gary wrote:

You don't need much for a quick trip to the store. On a long trip, I really like the goodies. I listen to satellite radio with no commercials, the temperature is where I want it without touching a control, the navigation even shows me what lane to be in at the exit ramp.
Yeah, I'm spoiled, but I'm worth it.