OT - The harassing calls

Page 1 of 2
I know someone who's getting harassing calls and emails. The angry, mentally unstable harasser says "I'll call the police and have you arrested". Even though, there's no crime committed (by the victim). The calls are getting a bit tiring.
I'm thinking there's got to be some way to divert this unstable person's attention. Give him something more interesting to do. Judo move, back away and let the attacker hurt himself.
With the collective wisdom of this group, there has to be some creative answer. I thought of sending the angry harasser an email from a disposable account (Hotmail?) and provoke the person. Tempt him to make some angry phone calls (to the number in the signature box?). Number of what? Flower shop? Fire department? Gay bar?
Need some ideas, folks.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
✖
On Dec 11, 8:25 am, "Stormin Mormon"

So... what did the others do...? -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖
Good question, and I don't know.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

That seems odd. By what method did it become apparent...? -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖
If I don't know, how would I know?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 08:25:24 -0500
"The caller has aparently done this to others, also." http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/msg/df65439d51450ea6?hl=en&dmode=source
H o w d i d i t b e c o m e a p p a r e n t...? -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖
If you leave enough quoted text, maybe I'll know what you are asking. Now that you have done so, I can answer. The victim has heard from other people in the same social network, who have been harassed.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Try scrolling.

You could have answered before, if you could remember how many things in this thread you have recently declared apparent.

And they all exchanged that fact with one another and then went on to discuss things of greater import...? -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/11/2011 10:19 PM, gpsman wrote:

I had a friend tell me that she had a neighbor who was making harassing calls to her husband and other male neighbors. The guy was accusing these guys of molesting his wife, and threatening to call the police. She dealt with it by picking up the phone next time he called and telling him to leave hubby alone or she'd come over accompanied by all the other women in the neighborhood, plus the cops, and deal with him then and there. The calls stopped.
Seriously, tell your friend to file a police report. It won't necessarily do anything about stopping it, but oftentimes the police tend to give more credence to the party that complained first. So if this caller is threatening people with the police, call the cops first. For all you know, the cops will end up telling you this person has a history of doing this. Maybe they're looking for someone willing to file a complaint.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/11/2011 6:43 AM, bob haller wrote:

Some of us refuse to pay extra for caller ID, just like we refused to pay extra for touch-tone back in the day. Ma Bell has a lot of balls charging for a data stream that is in the switch anyway, and actually costs them more to NOT provide to the end of the local loop. We also decline to buy modern disposable phones.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖
On 12/10/2011 10:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The caller could be dangerous, so doing anything "in return" is stupid. I'd start with the phone co. to block the calls. Police should be informed.
Add pictures here
✖
Sounds reasonable, actually. Thanks.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
✖

I'd also save a good number of the harrasing messages. With caller ID, I assume the person is not receiving them directly, but instead they are left on an answering machine. Get a good number that show the scope of the messages and then take them to the police.
The person could also file for a restraining order. Then the harraser would either have to show up in court to defend themselves or they would most likely get one by default. At that point if there is proof of any further contact the police can just arrest them immediately
Add pictures here
✖

I agree with the others about police involvement. If the victim has nothing to hide, let the police handle it.
On a side note, when the harasser calls again, keep a nice loud airhorn next to the phone and put it to the mouthpiece when he calls. His ears will be ringing for a long time after that.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/10/2011 10:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've put on call block a few times. With Verizon, here, it costs an extra $5 per month and you can block up to 10 numbers. Had to do it to an annoying neighbor last summer but she was not threatening. Removed it in the fall and she has not called since. Guess she found others to annoy.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 08:38:20 -0500, Frank
-snip-

My $50[?]-for-4-handsets phones can block numbers. [10?-20?]
It works nicely for the idiotic sales-droids who don't notice that I'm on all the do-not-call lists. By the time I'm up to the limit they've probably already gotten a new number.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖