international calls in the UK

I am in a discussion in another ng about caller display and one poster says that she has an accounting client in Yorkshire that displays on her phones a being of international origin.

How does that come about?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

that she has an accounting client in Yorkshire that

If you have the technical knowhow you can 'transmit' whatever number you like. Not illegal providing you're not doing it to commit fraud. Many firms and organisations use a number which will display their help desk number, possibly an 0800 number. I had one such call the other day from an insurance company.

Reply to
fido

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

that she has an accounting client in Yorkshire that

or some other call provider.

Any UK telco which allows this is violating their licence conditions.

That's a presentation number, and using another number as a presentation number, providing it also belongs to you or you have a right to use it, is fine.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I had a phone call from B&Q a few weeks ago in response to a query which came up on Caller Display as an International Call - and their 'shed' is only around 8 miles from my house, very interesting to say the least.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I'm using VOIP on all my outgoings by and large., Its fractionally cheaper than my PAYG land line.

No idea what shows up on that - probably a locally assigned number.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , The Natural Philosopher wrote

It depends on how the call is routed over the Internet, the number of servers and through how many countries. A friend's VOIP calls sometimes displays his number (via BT caller display) but 90% of the call result in the only indication presented being 'International.'

Reply to
Alan

From what she wrote, it comes through with international on the phone's display. I don't know any more about it yet.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

wrote

than my PAYG land line.

and through how many countries. A friend's VOIP

call result in the only indication presented being

IP routing alone has no affect whatsoever on CLI.

Reply to
Graham.

wrote

than my PAYG land line.

and through how many countries. A friend's VOIP

call result in the only indication presented being

effect

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Not at all unusual though. Large companies may outsource their telephone call-centre and customers service operations to almost anywhere. Here in North America whoever/wherever answers (or calls) you may depend just as much on the time of day, whether it is a national/local holiday etc.

Located here in most eastern Canada (next stop Ireland) where our particular time zone is 3.5 hours behind Greenwich but 1.5 ahead of Norther American Eastern Time (Toronto etc.), If it is early in the day, one is likely to be answered from one of the Canadian Atlantic provinces, or one of the US eastern locations such as Boston/New England.

Later in the day or at night somewhere in western Canada is just as likely, because they are several time zones or some 3.5 to 4.5 hours behind us. Right now it's about 11.00PM (Half past two AM in the UK) but in western Canada, Seattle or Los Angeles it's about 7.30PM. And then occasionally one gets an answer from India. "Wishing you to today Mr Customer a most happy advantage to you if you buy our ............... 40% discount etc. etc.". {:-)

Someone we know works at a local centre and one of their accounts is to receive customer service calls from a big name distributor in the southern USA. Since our heritage is from typical, Irish, English, Scottish fishery settlers, originally from the 1500s there must be some interesting voice exchanges when someone (Y'all) from Tennessee comes on the line!

Cheers.

Reply to
terry

I use 18185, and have been told that a UK call I made presented as "international".

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I think the problem is in the caller display unit.

Some of them are programmed to shown all numbers arriving with the "unknown" flag as "international".

tim

Reply to
tim....

wrote

than my PAYG land line.

and through how many countries. A friend's VOIP

call result in the only indication presented being

IP routing != call routing. Affect!=effect.

affect is the verb effect is the noun, or a different verb meaning to make happen.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

More likely that the caller is using an indirect calling service - such as dialling a prefix before a number - the telco is then sending the calls abroad, (possibly via VoIP but this will be transparent to the users) then back into the UK again. Caller ID in these cases doesn't always work.

If the Yorkshire place is using VoIP, then it's mis-configured. All my VoIP customers get the correct caller ID - well, as correct as is presented to me, anyay.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

In message , Gordon Henderson wrote

I doubt if i is a user configuration. As I wrote earlier, a friend's VOIP often doesn't give a number - but sometimes it does. There is no change in configuration between calls.

Reply to
Alan

With a ISDN based PABX, you can usually set this yourself...

Not sure how they police the number you set it to present though...

Reply to
John Rumm

IIRC my voip number gets displayed as an 0845...

Reply to
John Rumm

In the case of my VoIP supplier (Betamax) I can present any number I wish providing I can verify I have access to the real line by receiving a call from an automated system that gives me a random 4 digit code.

Before that, I could present just about any UK number, for some time, just for fun, I presented 0161 000 0000

Reply to
Graham.

I tried this back in the days of MSN (or whatever it was called when you got 10 numbers each with a different last digit). If you presented a number which wasn't one of yours, it just got silently replaced with your base number. If you just presented the last digit, the correct number got filled in (but then there are no invalid numbers). I had access to two different lines, and they didn't behave quite the same way (but it's too long ago to remember what the difference was, although I vaguely recall it was something to do with presenting just one digit - might not have worked in one case).

The one I know details of keeps a list of presentation numbers you're allowed to use. You get numbers added to the list by providing some documentary proof you are the owner of them, or entitled to use them. They charge a one-off admin fee for checking the evidence for each number you add.

I think some providers used to be more trusting than they now are, possibly because someone started getting tough on this.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel