Unsolicited calls - fight back

I don't know if this idea might have any mileage, but....

Some of these callers leave a genuine number on caller ID. If they do, I always ring them back on the chance it might have been a genuine call from someone I might have needed to speak to anyway.

If it proves to be one of 'those' calls I always have something nasty to say to them, some don't answer and leave you listening to music. The point is, ringing them back I assume blocks lines up?

Might it be worth someone setting up a web site with these numbers and then we ring them, keep on ringing and block their lines as they do to us?

The telecom industry has done nothing, the UK government seems tooth-less to do anything, but the technology is there and able to do something given enough wish to do something about it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield scribbled...

Give over. That's what answer machines & 1571 are for. You can also put unknown numbers into goggle and see what that comes up with.

And whilst you're pissing around, how many calls are you missing?

Reply to
Jabba

None, we have several other phones.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

dere ain't nobody got no time for dat shit

Reply to
Anita Palley

Harry Bloomfield scribbled...

Just like the spammers !

Reply to
Jabba

Maybe, but do you have a number of lines, and call forwarding to others if your main line is in use?

Reply to
John Williamson

Unnecessary, those who need to know alternative numbers, know the numbers.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If you know the number to ring them back on, you know which number to report to TPS because you've registered with them already of course.

I mostly get calls trying to flog me some energy efficient something. I just say I rent, although this isn't so.

mark

Reply to
mark

mark submitted this idea :

We are registered on all mobiles and LL, but we all know the TPS is worse than useless.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

I've played a bit with tracking down these people. I think some of the "phone numbers" are faked somehow, and don't exist. Certainly, the same recorded messages have come from Manchester, Liverpool, Leicester and other places over a few days.

I suspect some of the genuine ones are actually one person, one line in temporary offices. I had 2 calls from the same woman (or 2 women with very similar voices and the same script) flogging something like "Call Prevention Service". I reported the first to the TPS and traced the company to a rented room in Bournemouth. A few weeks later she called again and this time the same company was trading from a different office, also in Bournemouth.

What I need is someone in Bournemouth with a 1MW amplifier and a Dire Straits CD to play outside her office.

Reply to
Bill

In message , Bill writes

What's wrong with Dire Straits??

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I've just had a call from an outfit who, for a consideration, claim to "Stop These Calls"

"... our service is so effective, because we contact data providers specifically and get them to stop selling your information ..." Good luck with that.

I was unconvinced. They were unable to see the irony in having cold-called me.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Am 21.07.2014 15:20, schrieb Anita Palley:

Excuse me for going OT and posting youtube-links, but your words reminded me of that clip:

I like it. YMMV.

Reply to
Matthias Czech

*laugh* Brilliant!
Reply to
Huge

I had one attempting to sound all official and government like this morning... basically trying to offer a "free survey" that would let me order a solar PV system from them... I had some time to spare so engaged her in some conversation - got them to clarify they are a private company. Was all going swimmingly until she tried to book the appointment with the "energy assessors" who just happened to be in my area tomorrow. "Would 10:30 be ok" "na, don't think so". She asked why, so I told her. Did not seem best pleased with the answer (which included a reference to wasting her time so she was not out scamming others!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Air source heat pumps are the next bit of nonsense that you can expect - seems there are some grants kicking about...

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Nothing.

Bill

Tim Lamb scribbled...

When the wind is in the right direction, I can hear their old drummer practicing.

Reply to
Jabba

Well I think a planned denial of telephone service might well be illegal.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Which is more or less how I've set up my gigaset. Plays standard ring for "unknown", plays a tune for any number in the memory

Reply to
bert