OT -- slow post office

Not so. The "standard" mail class, as advertsing mail is now called, is in effect heavily subsidized and does not pay its own way. The major mailers, unlike residential customers, pay lobbyists and make campaign contributions to congressmen and senators with oversight of Postal matters. Their interests are put above those of the general public when it comes to delivery rates. And the biggest reason that service from USPS has declined in recent times is the congressionally imposed mandate on the postal service to essentially transfer $5.5 billion from their income each year to the federal treasury, artificially lowering the deficit at the expense of postal customers.

Reply to
Larry W

There's at least one that still can.

Bill Cosby is performing his first stand up performance in 3 decades on Comedy Central tomorrow night. (11/23)

You can be pretty sure it will be a clean show, unless you consider conphramadassle and ferkdingamaton to be vulgar.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

]Although I am not fond of "vulgar language," what offends me even more is that some of these guys think a four-letter word can salvage a joke that is not funny either way.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

You quoted the fact at this beginning of your post.

Care to offer evidence to the contrary?

Reply to
Wes Groleau

All the postcards I mailed to USA from Europe arrived after I did.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Saw him live in performance during his prime. Very sad based humor, which humor often is. Especially his description of unnamed [but everyone knew it was Robert Culp's] descent into drug abuse. People laughed but the sad imagery still is in my head.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Email may be cheaper for the senders, but that's because a significant portion of the distribution costs are paid by the network providers and the recipients. The USPS doesn't charge a recurring fee to send and receive unlimited amounts of mail, so it's not a good analogy.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Good point, Moe. With stamps, I only have to inventory a 45¢ stamp. With email, I have to maintain a $45 per month infrastructure whether I use it or not. .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Oh, good grief. It's cheaper for EVERYONE. I certainly don't spend 2 x $.45 x Num_Emails for my entire Internet account and I use it for many applications other than email.

Reply to
krw

Yet you post here more than 100x per month alone so your email is free; point dulled.

Reply to
krw

Posting on newsgroups is not email. The original comment was a generality, nothing to do with my personal use. Not everyone would benefit having an email account as a money saver compared to the USPS.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So you not use your Internet connection for both?

That makes no sense.

Reply to
krw

Hmmm, One step up, there is Skype.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Can't view through dial up, anyway to get a copy for offline viewing?

PS: met Victor Borge after his performance years ago in Cupertino, CA. He was as nice and affable as he was on stage. We talked with him almost 45 minutes, [with his manager having sweat run down his face and stepping from foot to foot in the background doing a perfect R2D2 impersonation] He invited us to continue our conversation by going to dinner [I'm not certain, but at this point I think his manager went apoplectic]. Sadly, this area was a 'technology employee' town and nothing was really open worthwhile to go to for miles, so we had to decline.

Reply to
RobertMacy
[snip]

I know someone who once did that (watch youtube video over dial-up). Pause it and wait until the buffer fills.

There are various extensions for Firefox that add the ability to download youtube videos.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd