Need Electrical Problem Advice Please

My Mom's Intermatic In-Wall Light Timer is not working properly. It is the type of unit that turns her outside lights automatically on and off.

The red indicator light does not always stay on. When it does, I can program the unit for her and it works until midnight or so and then the lights all go off.

I installed a new unit today, and the exact thing is happening.

Can someone please tell me what the problem might be?

All help is much appreciated, as always.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

It sounds like operator error.

Reply to
trader4

*Could you post the model number please. Intermatic has several models of timers.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Hi Kate,

I have not installed that type of timer in many years. I do remember needing the instructions in front of me as I did the programming to get it right. The problem that your mother is having could be a programming issue. I suggest that you call Intermatic tech support when you are in front of the timer so that they can walk you through the troubleshooting.

Intermatic technical support: 815-675-7000

Link to timer:

Easy Set instructions:

Detailed instructions:

John Grabowski

John Grabowski

it might be a intermittent filament in the bulb.

I dont know about this specific timer but some use a low current thru the lamps filament to run the timer.

I happened on to this issue when attempting to use a CF on one of these timers.

it worked intermittently.

you might try a different bulb, I solved the issue by putting a neon bulb on the timer in in parell with the lamp, but tired of the neighborhood power failed, timer lost its settings and swapped it out for a mechanical timer....

Reply to
bob haller

I have always found those to be a total PITA, even with instructions in hand (well, the models I have used). I would replace it with another brand out of spite. :-)

I had to install 8 of them one day, and quickly grew to hate the engineer(s) who designed such an ungainly piece of garbage. I prefer this model, but it is rather pricey.

Nightcrawler®

Kate-

John's suggestion to call customer service may be your best chance.

Your problem could be caused by power to the timer coming from a switched source instead of directly from a circuit breaker. If it was powered from a light switch that gets turned off occasionally and at night, Intermatic customer service might be stumped!

Rather than deal with a timer that needs to be reset when seasons change, I went with photocell controlled lights. Three outside lights each have their own photocell and on/off switch.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

I have a mechanical timer, so power outages at most move the time a bit. the electronic type is a PIA and doesnt play well with photocells

Power on at 6AM and off at midnite, but its fed to a photocell, so the light is only on during dark hours

i use CFL but plan on replacing the lamp with a LED bulb

Reply to
bob haller

Just to let everyone know that two electricians came out today. They simply removed the timer, and re-installed it.

Nothing has changed. The lights come on an hour later than they should, and then four hours later they turned completely off.

We will be calling them back, as they also were not sure that this would take care of the problem.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds like the wires may have a short in them?

I hope this does not take them all day to figure it out.

If we turn off the in-wall timer, the regular outdoor light works fine and stays on until we turn it off. But, we really would like to have the lights on a timer.

Thanks everyone.

Kate

11/21/2013 4:13 AM, John Grabowski wrote:
Reply to
Kate

Hi, I could be wrong but that timer I think is mechanical one. Maybe it is worn out. selsyn moter is in there I think which is too worn to work well. Easiest is to replace it with Solid state timer driven by battery, I have one I use during Christmas time to control outdoor light strings. It keeps time VERY accurate. I put in a pair of Lithium batteries 3 years ago and it is still working well.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Kate scrit:

I once bought a white electronic Intermatic timer, and swore to never buy one again.

Not only was it impossible to program without the manual, but it broke within six months.

Worse yet, Lowes wouldn't take it back because it was past the warranty period, and since they dropped it altogether, I couldn't even buy one to return it in the other package!

Moral of the story: Intermatic stinks!

Reply to
Harold W.

Kate-

That sounds more like an open circuit problem than a short circuit. An electrician could test the circuit using something like an electric heater. The heater would draw enough current to find a loose connection, but not so much as to blow the circuit breaker.

I like Tony's suggestion of the battery powered timer using lithium batteries. That would solve the problem of the timer resetting itself, but would not help if there was a loose connection or a forgotten switch in the circuit.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Or a second long-forgotten timer???