OT -- slow post office

Page 2 of 4

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I'm expecting a check from a company in Rhode Island. I'm in NYS. They say it went out on the 15th, and it's not here as of the 20th.
And, I've had other moments where the mail just seems to take too long. Is the PO slowing down? I know we joke about it being the US Snail, but they were doing OK for a while.
--
.I lived in a small town in Colorado. Banked in another small town 25 miles
away. Would send my pay checks USPS to them. They received them next day.
On 11-21-2013, 07:45, Stormin Mormon wrote:

"Obama said if people are having trouble with the website, they can still apply by mail. Only the government could come up with a website slower than the Post Office." (Jay Leno)
--
Wes Groleau

Guidelines for judging others:
On 11/21/2013 12:45 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:

If you like your post office, you can keep your post office.
Nov 21, my check "mailed on the 15th" from Rhode Island to NYS, hasn't yet arrived.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I sent my sister a birthday card from AZ to VA a few weeks ago. Took a full week to get there. Used to take three or four days.

On 11/22/2013 1:08 PM, KenK wrote:

Nov 22, check still not arrived. I'm going to inquire about direct deposit, and avoid the PO altogether.
Orders arrive by email, invoice by fax, and payment by direct. No snail in that equation. And that will cause the price of stamps to go up again.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

St. Mormon, allow to express my confusion. Other's may or may not feel the same way.
At one point in this thread, you said: "I asked a question, I didn't blame the PO."
Here's how it looks from where we're sitting...
Your subject line didn't include a question mark, so it kind of reads like blame.
"OT -- slow post office" portrays a very different meaning than "OT -- slow post office?" The former could be considered blame at first read, the latter is obviously a question.
Now, in your OP you really did ask a question: "Is the the PO slowing down?" No direct indication of blame there.
However, in this latest post you said "... avoid the PO altogether" and "No snail in that equation." That sure sounds like blame. Have you determined that the PO is actually the problem or are you just performing an experiment by "avoiding the PO" altogether?
Keep in mind that by going to direct deposit you are eliminating more than just the PO. You are eliminating the entire check production process and going straight to a computer based transfer. You will certainly get it quicker, but it wouldn't be fair to then say "The PO was at fault" since more than just the PO is avoided when using direct deposit.
Not that _you_ would actually blame the PO when it all sped up after switching to direct deposit, I'm just saying that it wouldn't be fair if someone did. :-)
On 11/22/2013 4:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thank you for that detail. It's amazing, the difference in meaning that a punctuation mark makes.
I'm glad you took the time to discuss this, instead of the usual Usenet techniques.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?vkpIbdZhrzA

I'll take more care, to punctuate.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Four and a half minutes of some very funny stuff and not one second of vulgar language. Yep, those were the days...
On 11/22/2013 7:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You and me both. I really love some of the old comedians, who were funny but not vulgar. Not sure that anyone these days can match that skill.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

There's at least one that still can.
Bill Cosby is performing his first stand up performance in 3 decades on Comedy Central tomorrow night. (11/23)
You can be pretty sure it will be a clean show, unless you consider conphramadassle and ferkdingamaton to be vulgar.

Saw him live in performance during his prime. Very sad based humor, which humor often is. Especially his description of unnamed [but everyone knew it was Robert Culp's] descent into drug abuse. People laughed but the sad imagery still is in my head.

Can't view through dial up, anyway to get a copy for offline viewing?
PS: met Victor Borge after his performance years ago in Cupertino, CA. He was as nice and affable as he was on stage. We talked with him almost 45 minutes, [with his manager having sweat run down his face and stepping from foot to foot in the background doing a perfect R2D2 impersonation] He invited us to continue our conversation by going to dinner [I'm not certain, but at this point I think his manager went apoplectic]. Sadly, this area was a 'technology employee' town and nothing was really open worthwhile to go to for miles, so we had to decline.
On 12/07/2013 09:41 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
[snip]

I know someone who once did that (watch youtube video over dial-up). Pause it and wait until the buffer fills.
> anyway to get a copy for offline viewing?
There are various extensions for Firefox that add the ability to download youtube videos.
[snip]
--
18 days until The winter celebration (Wednesday December 25, 2013 12:00
AM for 1 day).
On 11-22-2013, 19:22, DerbyDad03 wrote:

]Although I am not fond of "vulgar language," what offends me even more is that some of these guys think a four-letter word can salvage a joke that is not funny either way.
--
Wes Groleau

Ostracism: A practice of sticking your head in the sand.
Per Wes Groleau:

Alcohol was thought to be involved: http://tinyurl.com/myy7muh
--
Pete Cresswell

On 11-21-2013, 07:45, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I mailed a large parcel post package from New York to my father in Oklahoma. Arrived in three days. The same day, he got a first-class letter postmarked in his own ZIP code ten days earlier.
The reason our stamps are 45 cents is because the first class mail pays for the advertisements you throw away. Stamps go up, more people go to e-mail, stamp revenues go down. To preserve the service to advertisers, price per stamp has to go up.
Typical management screw-up.
--
Wes Groleau

Guidelines for judging others:
On 11/21/2013 12:50 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:

Back when I started my part time consulting 20 years ago, I spent about $30/month for postage. Today, 45 cents a month as one client requires paper bill.
All the stuff I do now goes out in email.
Back when I worked in industry we called it the buggy whip syndrome. You can read about it at several site. Basically an industry that becomes antiquated with progress.
Don't expect government agencies to have any horse sense.

45 cents is the best bargain on the market, for delivery.

Nonsense. Zero is better.
On 11-21-2013, 17:35, George wrote:

Wrong. What the junk mailers pay is better.
--
Wes Groleau

It seems a pity that psychology should have