(OT) Increased Speed Limits on Highways

when I lived in Troy the city solved that problem. The cops got slant six Valiants. No Crown Vics with the interceptor package for those boys, just a nice, dependable ride.
After serious thinking Uncle Monster wrote :

That 225 Slant-Six was a good engine.

I got fined 700 Euros in France for using a radar detector.

If a cop breaks the speed limit here without good reason, he gets fired. I got let off once because I told one off for not using his blue lights when he was going about 110.

Illiterate cop was he?
--
Scientists recently conducted a marijuana taste test.
Nobody seems to be able to remember the results.

You should have told them you were an imam afraid of getting droned by the Americans.
Ralph Mowery wrote: " There is no any general rule in the US. Some places (South Carolina) is one that I know of that have the 'speed traps' that will give you a ticket for even 2 miles over the speed limit. That is just a cash cow for the officers and towns. I don't know about now, but at one time you just paid the officer the fine. I bet most of that went into his pocket. Especially for the ones from out of state"
No general rule in the U.S.
Explains it all.
"I remember when I was a young boy riding with my parents and an uncle driving. He got pulled over. He asked the cop why him as others were passing him. The cop said because he could not catch the others. My uncle started the car and drove off. While leaving he said 'you can't catch me either', and left teh cop standing on the side of the road. "
Classic American ATTITUDE. Absolute disdain for authority.
On 10/07/2016 04:36 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Er, have you noticed our 'authorities'?
On 10/07/2016 08:18 AM, Bod wrote:

Very much depends on where you are. In this state I've had cops flash their lights at me to suggest I should cool it for a while. The Highway Patrol in particular is spread thin and writing speeding tickets isn't a high priority.

I don't call 9mph a fair amount.

It is here, it's a good way for them to make money.
--
When a woman wears leather clothing, a man's heart beats quicker, his throat gets dry, he goes weak in the knees, and he begins to think irrationally.
Ever wonder why?

That's what happens, the feds withhold money until the states knuckle under.
--
Tekkie

Maybe some states should try to go independant, like Scotland almost did?
-- Q: What's the difference between an Irish funeral and an Irish wedding? A: One less drunk.

We're working on it:
http://vermontrepublic.org/home/
The first Vermont Republic was from 1777 to 1791 when they joined the original 13 states. It must have seemed like a good idea at the time.

Cool. Although this made me laugh, they're a bit fussy: "other small, democratic, nonviolent, affluent, socially responsible, cooperative, egalitarian, sustainable, ecofriendly nations"
--
Murphy says to Paddy, "What ya talkin into an envelope for?" "I'm sending a voicemail ya thick sod!"

Don't forget Bernie Sanders is from Vermont. He made a lot of people laugh too. In the '60s, many of the back to earth types migrated to Vermont and stayed -- including Sanders.
Scott Nearing led the way
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Nearing
He and Helen wrote "Living the Good Life: How to Live Simply and Sanely in a Troubled World" which was required reading for the generation and many made the pilgrimage to visit the guru. They moved to Vermont in 1932 and then on to Maine in 1954 when the ski industry started building slopes in their backyard.
For a different take, you can try William Lind's novel 'Victoria:
https://www.traditionalright.com/victoria/
That's set in Maine and definitely isn't of a pacifist bent. It is, however, heavily Christian.
Then there's Carolyn Chute, also from Maine:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolyn_Chute
Her latest novel is 'Treat Us like Dogs and We Will Become Wolves'.
The pot is simmering. Of course the US, like the USSR, could never dissolve.
On Fri, 07 Oct 2016 21:19:11 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"

The problem is you would still have to pay your federal taxes without getting anything back.

Not if you're a properly independant country.
--
The three types of marriage: Polygamy, bigamy, and monotony.

On 10/07/2016 12:46 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

New Hampshire never ratified the national 55 mph speed limit back in the day. Reportedly when the Feds threatened to cut off highway funding the reply was "We've got enough roads already."
I enjoyed living there before they got an influx of Assachusetts liberals. The state had no reciprocity. You could get tickets in the other 49 states and it was their problem; no points on your license. Of course, Maine could and would suspend your right to drive in Maine but that was as far as they could go.
On 10/07/2016 08:43 AM, rbowman wrote:
[snip]

My mother is from Montana. She would talk about places where the speed limit is "reasonable and proper".
--
79 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 10/07/2016 04:19 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Yup. The 'reasonable and prudent' went from 1995 to 2000. When the Feds mandated a 55 mph limit in '74, they invented a new ticket, 'unnecessary waste of a resource'. It was a flat $5 and didn't count as a moving violation.

Who cares what the signs say? I go as fast as the engine allows. Whenever someone tells me off for driving too fast, I say "I wasn't driving fast, it just appears that way as you have a slow brain."
--
Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.

I thought y'all had gone metric -- except for pints.