(OT) Increased Speed Limits on Highways

Page 2 of 6
On 10/7/2016 6:17 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

The next day there will be instructions to disable it on the internet. Not going to happen.
On 10/6/2016 8:27 PM, bob haller wrote:

Given proper conditions, I just like to drive fast. Nothing to do with time and don't care about fuel mileage enough to slow down. Safety is a concern though. I don't weave in traffic or foul weather.
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 8:42:25 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's why there are race tracks.
If your speeding only took you out, no problemo.
But it often takes out other innocent folks.
Andy
On 10/7/2016 5:26 PM, Andy wrote:

Race tracks are fun for a lap or two. Driving fast under proper conditions does not cause accident. Differential of speeds will even at speeds below the limit. If the speed limit is 45 and one idiot drives at 30, he is a danger. As is the guy driving at 65. Go with the flow for maximum safety.
On 10/07/2016 03:26 PM, Andy wrote:

I worry about soccer moms with cellphones more than speeders. They're distracted and they're Democrats.
On 10/6/2016 10:14 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

If you say that in public you may get lynched. I have no problem at 70 to 75 depending on conditions. There is one stretch that I often do 90 to 100 for a short distance.

Best to get off the highway or at least stick to the right..

I often go through Worcester MA where the speed limit is 50. If you cannot drive at 70, you may get run over.
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 1:32:27 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Same for 91 near Springfield.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

One of my favorite songs of all time is " I can't drive 55 " by Sammy Hagar!

> > I don't know if you Americans know, but the UK motorway speed limit is 70mph. There's talk of increasing it to 80.
On 10/07/2016 02:05 AM, Bod wrote:

There's no talk about it in this state; it's already 80, 70 on most two lanes. We didn't have a daytime speed limit but the Feds twisted our arm until we put some signs up.
On 07/10/2016 14:43, rbowman wrote:

> > Ok. The general rule here (UK), is that you can get nicked for doing 10% + 2mph over the limit. So on a 70 limit it would be 79mph. 30 would be 35 etc. So a fair amount of leeway. I don't know if it's the same in the US...?

I've never known any police force use that (and I know quite a few of them). They book you for 10mph over. If it's a built up area, they may occasionally caution people approaching it, but without giving them a ticket. But the real limit is 30mph over, that's when they give you a driving ban, everything else is just a warning.
--
Kangaroos cannot fart.

But you live in Scotland. England seems to stick to that rule.

I don't think our cops can do percentages.
--
Windows 95: n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

says...

There is no any general rule in the US. Some places (South Carolina) is one that I know of that have the 'speed traps' that will give you a ticket for even 2 miles over the speed limit. That is just a cash cow for the officers and towns. I don't know about now, but at one time you just paid the officer the fine. I bet most of that went into his pocket. Especially for the ones from out of state.
Usually anything under 10 mph over the limit and you are safe. I was in Charlestown SC one year and in heavy traffic. It was moving along about 15 mph over the limit. A police man got behind me and followed me about half a mile. I started to slow down,but decided to just stay with the traffic flow. He passed me as soon as there was a gap in the line of traffic.
I remember when I was a young boy riding with my parents and an uncle driving. He got pulled over. He asked the cop why him as others were passing him. The cop said because he could not catch the others. My uncle started the car and drove off. While leaving he said 'you can't catch me either', and left teh cop standing on the side of the road.
On 07/10/2016 16:24, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Ha!...but wouldn't the cop have written down the number plate of the car?

Sounds like a joke to me. Cops take catching fast cars as a game and they live for a high speed chase. We equip them with pretty fast cars so these chases can get deadly, usually for innocent 3d parties.
On 07/10/2016 16:53, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I tend to agree.
On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 11:59:33 -0400, burfordTjustice

It will not take long on a google search to find stories about high speed chases going wrong. A lot of them may not even make the news because they are usually late at night and the cops have no reason to make them news.

That is correct. Cars do not get bought or put on the road unless they are pursuit rated. The cars get beat and yet really sustain. Suppose a call comes in of hit/run w/ injuries. They flog the car for the time to get on scene; say 10 minutes, car idles while on scene; say 20 minutes, cop spots actor driving by scene-many do-gives chase; say 20 minutes, actor is caught and transported to the pokey. Rinse and repeat. Ever notice on the cop shows the actors vehicles are smoking from engine or brakes and the cop cars get slammed into park and sit and idle?
--
Tekkie