(OT) Increased Speed Limits on Highways

Perfectly safe on the interstates with light traffic.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Things like that have been discussed and shot down. Same with taxing electric cars based on miles. Speed cameras have been shot down in most states to Americans don't like that crap.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They would have to find me and make me replace that fuse. ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

bob haller posted for all of us...

What does the gov't do correctly now? Name it specifically. What else do you want them to do to you? Tell you what to eat and when? Tell you when to wake up, go bathroom, go to work, how much to pay you, monitor your other activities... Where do they stop Bob? How much you willing to pay? Just send all your money and the gov't will determine how much, if any, to return. I presume you want a nanny state. I don't. I think with the GPS tracking you your visits to the places "on the list" will be limited.

Actually Bob, speeding is not the main cause of accidents. It gets listed as that when a catch-all is needed because a limited amount of time is spent investigating.

Reply to
Tekkie®

spoken like a true democrat

Reply to
ChairMan

TimR posted for all of us...

+1
Reply to
Tekkie®

rbowman posted for all of us...

That is wrong-on both levels-you speeding and their revenue enhancement.

Reply to
Tekkie®

If a driver is the far right lane, he is NOT dangerous.

He is a careful driver and probably wants to save gas and reduce pollution.

It is NOT acceptable to exceed the speed limit. (Look up definition of limit)

It is behaviors like yours that spike up the fatality rates.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

That's why there are race tracks.

If your speeding only took you out, no problemo.

But it often takes out other innocent folks.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

You are so right. :-)

Andy

Maybe what we need is a separate lane with no speed limit.

It would have high walls on each side to protect the law abiding good drivers.

Let those drivers lower the gene pool and that would benefit society.

Reply to
Andy
[snip]

It's like that on I20 here. They were already dong 80 before the speed limit went to 75.

I don't find the speed to be as big a problem as the increasing number of big trucks (I20 is a common route for Mexican trucks going east). It's not a good feeling, going 75 and not able to see much because there's multiple trucks on 3 sides.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Even when the posted limit is as fast as you'd go if there was no limit.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I know Texas used to have that (as well as 5MPH lower at night). Both have been eliminated. Now it's 70 all the time.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I'd have the vehicle limit it's speed. There'd be an override button, and use of it would be reported.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

There are minimum speeds on some highways because too slow can be a danger. As DD points out, 15 mph slower can cause serious problems as traffic tries to move around it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Race tracks are fun for a lap or two. Driving fast under proper conditions does not cause accident. Differential of speeds will even at speeds below the limit. If the speed limit is 45 and one idiot drives at 30, he is a danger. As is the guy driving at 65. Go with the flow for maximum safety.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Mark Lloyd"

Reply to
Phil Kangas

The next day there will be instructions to disable it on the internet. Not going to happen.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

the biggest hazard is probably drivers who are texting

Reply to
bob haller

I rarely go over the speed limit, I rarely go under the speed limit, and I get to the limit as fast as I can. With the V-Strom that's about 3 seconds from a standing start.

Reply to
rbowman