OT: Do You Put Grease On Your Brake Caliper Bracket?

Anything that you remove and replace where rust interferes should get cleaned and lubed. I use anti-seize. With brakes you just make sure it won't foul the pads/shoes. That means not using enough where heat will cause it to run to where it gets flung.

Reply to
Vic Smith

As a professional mechanic we always referred to that part as the "caliper frame" and often cursed when we had to use a file to remove the rust behind the clip before we could re-install the clip and the pads - when a bit of grease or anti-seize when it was assembled last time would have prevented the problem

Smart idea. Coastal california vehicles should be lubed too - as should anything that gets onto the dry lakebeds or salt-flats. Or any vehicle in Georgia , Florida, or Louisiana.

A little bit of grease/antiseize won't HURT, regardless where you are.

You don'tn thow on a fist-full - just a light swipe or smudge is all that is required.

Reply to
clare

As a mechanic i virtually never used copper grease(anti-seize) on the back of new pads - but I used the good pads thar come with anti-squeel shims - and sometimes even special silicone brake grease.

I prefer SilGlyde brake grease for rubber parts and squeel pads.

Reply to
clare

Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

If I search autozone.com, autoanything.com, advanceauto.com, etc. for caliper frame, I get "No results found".

If I search autozone.com, autoanything.com, advanceauto.com, etc. for caliper bracket, I get all sorts of hits for the part I have always known as the caliper bracket.

If I Google "caliper frame" with the quotes, I get hits for motorcycle brake mounting hardware.

If I Google caliper frame without the quotes, I get all kinds of hits for caliper *brackets* with a couple of hits related to bicycles where the word frame shows up because of the *bicycle* frame, not the caliper mounting hardware. Google may use "frame" for their search, but the hits all call it a bracket.

If I search Google Images for caliper frame I get a mixture of pictures of bicycle brake parts and automotive brake parts.

If I search Google Images for caliper bracket the image results are almost exclusively of the part I have always known as the caliper bracket.

I gotta admit, I've have never heard anyone (DIY'er, professional or auto-parts rep or website, etc.) refer to the part as a "frame".

I'm sure we'll hear from others. I'm certainly curious.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On my ranger I have both a "bracket" and a "frame". The "bracket" or "adapter" moves the caliper "frame" out about 7/8" to allow me to install 11 inch rotors in place of the original 10.25" rotors.

Reply to
clare

If I still lived in upstate NY, I'd buy Nevr-Seez by the case.

Reply to
rbowman

...snip...

You are calling an adapter a "bracket" and what (I think)the rest of the world calls a bracket a "frame".

Can you provide a link or a part number for these 2 parts? I searched a few different parts sites for Ranger parts that might be something like what you are talking about and all I find is the everyday part that I call the "caliper bracket".

What year Ranger? What would I search for to find this adapter/bracket? What would I search for to find a caliper frame for a Ranger? Trust me, I've tried. A link or a part number would sure clear this up for me.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

caliper frame, I get "No results found".

caliper bracket, I get all sorts of hits for the part I have always known as the

almost exclusively of the part I have always known as the caliper bracket.

I pasted this into google and got some dealing with cars & bikes....

+"caliper frame" brakes
Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Sure, but follow some of the links and see which ones refer to the bracket as a frame.

This one discusses a "floating caliper frame" of a dual piston caliper, but they also refer to the caliper bracket as a separate part.

This site does call the "bracket" a frame, but go search for a "caliper frame" for a 1993 Mazda Miata at a parts site. I found a caliper bracket at more than one site, but not caliper frame.

I've yet to see a part listed at a parts site for a caliper frame. Again, it could be a Canadian thing.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

calls the "bracket" a caliper frame. in step 4.
Caliper frame in step 10 - Mercedes calls it a frame.
Look at step2. and step 3 calls it a caliper frame on a Honda.

says "I was told that these Advics brake pads were the OEM type used on my 2008 RAV4. Since it was time to replace my front pads, and the OEM had lasted a long time without coating my alloy rims with ugly brake dust, I figured I would try the Advics pads even though I had never heard of them before. Well guess what? When I removed my factory Toyota pads and pried off the shims, there was the name Advics stamped on the pad. And the brake caliper frame had the Advics name cast into it as well. These pads are absolutely the same as the OEM pads the Toyota dealer would love to sell you for a lot more money. Also, the dealer charges extra for the anti-squeal shims which are included with these pads. So far after almost 2000 city miles, these pads are just as sure stopping and quiet as the factory pads were. I'm confident they will last just as long"

He calls it a "caliper frame" on a Toyota.

On an Olds Alero - Install the brake pads onto the caliper brackets. Apply silicone grease to the caliper bolts. Install the brake caliper onto the caliper frame. Install the bolts in the brake caliper and tighten them. Remove the wheel nuts from the brake rotor. Install the wheel and tire assembly using the reference mark to make certain that it is in the same position, and tighten the wheel nuts.

It refers to both bracket and frame.

So I'm not the only one - and it's not JUST Canadian.......

Reply to
clare

Just about every "how tro" about disk brakes refers to the "caliper frame"

?Using a 21mm wrench, loosen and remove the two 21mm bolts holding the brake caliper frame to the knuckle. With the bolts removed, slide the entire brake caliper/frame assembly aft off of the rotor. Use a bungee cord or spare wire to tire up the brake caliper out of the way. Be sure to not allow the caliper to drop and be held in place by the brake line as this could tear/rupture the brake line.

In order to remove the hub nut, you will need to either have someone apply the brakes or do as I did and jam a socket extension into the rotor vents and let it jam against the caliper frame to keep the axle from turning while you remove the hub nut. This 1-11/16? (corrected) nut is torqued on at 175 lb-ft so it will take a bit to get it off. I had to buy a 3/4? drive socket set ($42 from Harbor Freight? hey I only need it a few times) in order to remove it.

. Remove the two bolts holding the brake caliper frame on, not the caliper pins, but the bolts holding the caliper frame. They are 15mm bolts that are access on the back side of the caliper frame

I pulled into a parking lot, lifted the car, and removed the tire. What I found was a scored brake rotor and a little stamped metal clip that was getting pinched between the brake caliper frame and the rotor. This is, as you can expect, not supposed to happen. So I limped out of there, picked up a new pair of clips, installed them at home, and took another test drive. It was still grinding, so the new clips got damaged as well. Something was drastically wrong with the wheel.

Volvo refers to "Brake Caliper Frame-To-Wheel Spindle Bolt" in the mitchell repair manual for Volvo V70 XC 1999-2000 front suspension repair section

clare

te:

ring-replacement/

re: Just about every "how tro" about disk brakes refers to the "caliper frame"

Granted, just about every how-to *you* posted referred to them as a "calipe r frame", but I'm pretty sure that I could find just as many, and probably more, that call it a bracket. OK, it has 2 names, I'll give you that.

I still find it interesting that I have been unable to find a "frame" on an y of the 4 or 5 different parts sites that I looked at. Were you about to fin d a part number or part description for the "frame" on your Ranger? Or a part number for a "frame" for any other model car?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Putting oversized Wilwoods on a BMW E36 - Step 5 says "remove the main part of the caliper from the caliper frame" and "Remove the 2 16mm bolts that hold the caliper frame to the hub" in the book "BMW

3-Series (E36) 1992-1999: How to Build and Modify" By Jeffrey Zurschmeide. on page 111.

The you-tube at

also refers to removing the slider bolts from the caliper frame.

Land rover calls it a caliper carrier. On a Ford Aspire it's called a "torque member" ` On a Toyota Celica the part is called the "torque plate" Mazda calls it a "caliper mount"

Reply to
clare

I jsut happen to have the service manual for a V-Strom up -- they refer to it as a 'caliper holder'.

Reply to
rbowman

I've just posted half a dozen different names for the part from different manufacturer's sites. and NONE of them called it a "bracket". There are likely some that do.

Just saying, inalmost 30 years doing it for a living, and another 20 doing it as a hobby "I" have referred to it as a caliper frame, and so have the parts men and other mechanics I've had to deal with.

When I asked my Toyota parts man for a caliper frame, he gave me a "torque plate" and if I needed a caliper frame for a Mazda, I'd get a "caliper mount", and for a Land Rover I'd get a "caliper carrier".

On many disc brake systems it is quite a bit more than a "bracket".

Reply to
clare

e:

bearing-replacement/

iper frame", but I'm pretty sure that I could find just as many, and probab ly

I believe that I have already agreed with you that it is known as a "frame" in certain circles. I got it. I bow to your internet search abilities in finding numerous sources where the term "frame", as well as many others, is used to describe the part.

However, I still go back to the fact I can't find a parts web site where I can find a caliper frame. It must be me. My search abilities must suck. I a sked if you could supply a site where I could order a caliper frame. I even aske d for a part number for a caliper frame for your own vehicle. I guess you don 't want to help me out in that regard. OK, we'll move on.

I Googled Toyota torque plate and got this:

and this

449163474

And many more similar hits. If you asked your Toyota parts man for a caliper frame, why would he give you a "torque plate"?

And once again, while I hate to keep going back to this, I'm sincerely aski ng for an explanation. I'm not arguing with you, I'm trying to learn something . Why can I find internet sites that use terms like "Land Rover caliper carri er" but the only thing I can find at sites like AdvanceAuto, AutoEverything , etc. is Land Rover caliper *bracket*. It's not just for the Land Rover caliper carrier, or the Toyota caliper frame, it's for every vehicle I checked at numerous sites. All they sell are caliper brackets, even for the vehicles o n which you say (and have proven) that they are called something else.

If all the other terms are fairly common, why can't you find the parts at auto parts sites using those terms?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

So what would you know?

Reply to
Tekkie®

So what would you know?

Reply to
Tony944

What would a person be able to grease such that the "centrifugal force of Rotation" would throw grease on the rotor, except perhaps the wheel itself?

What other part of a disk brake system is "rotating" other than the wheel and the rotor?

Are you talking about using so much grease on a stationary part of the brak e system that it *drips* onto the wheel then gets thrown onto the rotor?

Please explain.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The caliper frame/bracket/torque plate / whatreveryouwanttocallit doesn't rotate unless you flip the car end over end, and it would be a spectacular flip to produce enough centr force to fling the grease - and it would throw it AWAY from the rotor.

The bif thing is not to use enough grease for it to run off and get onto the pads. Like the old Brylkreme ? commercial - "a little dab'll do ya"

More than a smudge is a waste.

Reply to
clare