OT: Do You Put Grease On Your Brake Caliper Bracket?

Let's see if we can keep this simple and to the point. This really should need nothing more than a Yes or No answer.

To those of you that work on your own brakes or work on brakes for a living:

Do you put grease behind the pad clips in order to prevent rust build up on the caliber mounting bracket?

I am specifically (and only) asking about greasing the area that is pointed out in the following image:

Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Only where the pad slides on the clip. Often new pads come with new clips STG

Reply to
Shade Tree Guy

+1 What he said
Reply to
gfretwell

DerbyDad03 was thinking very hard :

No, I don't put grease on the caliber mounting bracket. I do sometimes use copper grease on the pads though.

Reply to
Eagle

No.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I suggest you also ask what the respondant's location, and if road salt is an issue. Mechanics in Arizona probably answer no, and salt and rust areas of the country answer yes.

Me: Yes. In NYS, where road salt is a major problem.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I put grease there so that the parts can move freely as they are supposed to.

makolber

Generally yes.

Reply to
clare

I follow the repair manual for the vehicle. Only one I've worked on in quite awhile is BMW X5. It calls for brake lube, ie special grease, to be put where you showed, plus a couple other spots.

Reply to
trader_4

No.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Yes I will!!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I'm getting confused. Which one of us is advocating what?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

No.

Reply to
rbowman

Nothing moves in the area I am asking about.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It appears that the correct answer for my area is "Yes".

Caliper brackets in the rust belt can experience "rust-jacking" which can bind up the pad. This is the exact situation I had on a 2007 Honda Civic. I had to bang the pads out with a rubber mallet and then grind the rust of off the bracket in the area behind the pad clips. Once I cleaned up the brackets, the pads slid right in.

Eric O discusses the issue a few times in this video and is seen applying the crease at ~23:00. He does brake jobs in the rust belt section of NY.

DerbyDad03

Liked the swivel head on the airline (surprised his impact wouldn't take on that second caliber bolt) STG

Reply to
Shade Tree Guy

Actually, the pads do move against the frame a small amount and the inability to move causes noise and uneven wear. They would not provide sprinfs or slider plates if some movement was not required. Often the simple solution to a noisy disk brake is tro lube those little insignificant points where the pads neet the caliper frame.

Reply to
clare

Once again, I am not talking about the pads. The pads move against the

*clip* in my application. Now, some may say that the clips also move against the bracket (is that what you [and only you] call the "frame"?) so there may be a need to lube between the clip and bracket.

However, the opinions on lube points vary, not just amongst DIY'ers and mechanics, but also amongst suppliers.

Some say you do not need to lubricate the pad tabs and that all it does is attract dirt.

Some say you only need to lube between the bracket and clip in geographical locations where rust is an issue. The manufacturer/refurbisher of the loaded calipers I bought (Centric) told me that lubrication is *not* required between the bracket and the clip. They ship their parts "Plug and Play" and there is no lubrication between the bracket and clip. Guess where Centric is located? California. Guess where I am located? In the rust belt. Guess what I am going to do?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's not an area where one needs to use copper grease (lube) to eliminate brake noise (squeal). The copper grease needs to be placed on the back (non-rotor side) of the pad.

That's why I said "No" to his original question. So there! >:p

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

This isn't the first time, by your own admission, you've voted wrong. I'm keeping my eye on you. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon Shumway