The PURPOSE of alt.home.repair

It seems that alt.home.repair has become a newsgroup to discuss everything EXCEPT home repair topics.

Alt.home.repair *IS NOT* the place to post politics, gun control, current events in the news, sexual preference issues, religion, terrorism, personal attacks on others, and so on.....

There are newsgroups specific to these topics. for example, try alt.politics.xxxxx alt.religion.xxxxx and so on. A good catchall group for all of these topics is: alt.current-events.usa

Reply to
Notice

Yeah, wander in here and talk to people that have been around here literally for years how they should change their ways to suit you. THAT's not gonna happen. Especially to the pussy that won't sign his or her own name.

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

If you don't like it here get the hell out. I used a slightly kinder four letter word because you haven't REALLY pissed me off... yet.

But you're workin' on it.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I've been "around here literally for years", actually "literally for decades".

I think you'd agree that the percentage of on-topic vs. off-topic threads has seen a major reversal, especially most recently. I actually remember a time when the off-topic stuff was few and far between the home repair posts and not vice-versa like it is now.

I was extremely liberal in counting off-topic discussions in a.h.r, even allowing automotive repair, cell phone backup programs, etc. to be considered

*on*-topic since they at least have something to do with "repair" - if you really stretch the definition. A full 50% of the most recent 60 threads are 100% non-repair related.

You people who have been "around here literally for years": Think back, is that what a.h.r looked like back in 80's and 90's? Not to my recollection.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The people who've been around here for decades are now getting up there agewise. What we're seeing is the typical behavior of cranky old farts who won't shut up and won't change the subject.

Tl;dr: "Grandpa's yelling again."

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Exactly.

Reply to
Vic Smith

When I think back our country isn't what it was 30 or 40 years ago either. That is truly a shame. This group, not so much.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

My democracy is broken, does anyone have any handy tips for me to repair or replace it - it an old model from the late 1700's. TIA

Okay, I get it, I'll stop.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

I'm sure you can provide a link to a charter that supports your claims. I'll wait

Reply to
ChairMan

You were way too kind.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Kurt V. Ullman posted for all of us...

I resemble that remark. I have never denied it but my opinion is as valid as yours.

Reply to
Tekkie®

How old is "up there agewise"? I think I might be one of them.

Reply to
My 2 Cents

Moe DeLoughan posted for all of us...

That is correct, but we shared our knowledge freely. Now posters need a porthole to go through. They want information handed on a silver platter to them without doing any kind of basic research; which is MUCH easier today. We had to crawl through and around the web to find answers which were usually hosted at educational institutions at blazing speeds. If one needed drivers, instructions you had to find a site that would host them. Present posters don't even bother to look at the item packaging for the site. How many times has "How do I mount an electrical outlet; ground up or down?" "I only have two wires how do I get a ground?" on and on... I could do without the politics and other distractions. Sometimes it's the only thread worth following. I only come here when able usually not every day. I will then try to read the original post and then the voluminous off-topic replies. If I do reply then I am criticized for not keeping up. Users used to be lucky if the hosts allowed six simultaneous connections. Busy signals and failed connections were common.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Aw shucks, I was just asking for the facts, sir. Something these whiney bastids can never do, as you have documented : ) I can still hear the crickets

Reply to
ChairMan

+1
Reply to
Dot

| It seems that alt.home.repair has become a newsgroup to discuss | everything EXCEPT home repair topics. |

Thank you for your efforts, but as you can see from the responses, there's little civility or even common sense to be found. And it's getting worse. Old men, acting like children who need a diaper. But there's no one in charge and they seem to have not been raised with the basic ideas of courtesy and consideration for others. So it's a case of pearls before swine.

I regularly consider just dropping this group altogether. As it is I'm blocking a number of regular posters. (Not even "trolls". Regulars!) Yet I still see more nonsense than discussion. I stick around only because I might be able to offer useful help to the occasional person who happens by with a real question.

Reply to
Mayayana

I gave up. Have you found a good alternative?

Reply to
bud--

...and gals.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

That is an apt description of our idiot-in-chief.

You're breaking my heart.

Don't flatter yourself.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway