TV wall bracket on chimney breast.

Not a great picture, sorry. The fireplace that my son in law is obscuring has a gas coal effect fire. Plan is to mount a 32" LCD above the mantelpiece. Can anyone see any problem in doing this?

Reply to
Graham.

Dunno about the telly but black wallpaper, glass topped tables, ugh....

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

People will get a crick in their neck watching a TV placed above normal height.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , Graham. writes

Fixings wise, not a problem, there should be 4" of brick at the level you are talking about. Use an 80 to 100mm fixing (lose 20mm in the plaster then 60 - 80mm in brick.

Aesthetically though it will look like shit, tellys over the fireplace are sooo yesterday, were only for chavs in the first place and needed something a lot bigger than a 32" to balance the size against the scale of the fireplace.

Not too clever ergonomically either due to the neck position on looking upwards.

A 32" flatscreen is quite a discrete size so on a stand just to the left of the fireplace would be my choice but I can see the potential for kiddy related damage at that height.

When I re-do the lounge here the gas fire will go, the telly will prob go in the gap and I'll close the flue to save the perpetual 1kW loss that the open one creates.

Reply to
fred

Depends on the furniture you'll be sitting on when watching it, but quite likely it's too high - you'll all get a crik in your neck watching it. Ideally, it wants to be no higher than your eye level when seated, and lower is usually more comfortable.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm watching one now and I'm far more comfortable than when when the TV was at "normal" height. The current position is only temporary whilst the lounge is in pieces, but the new permanent position will definitely be close to the top of the chimney breast.

Of course it depends what you sit on but it's easy enough to find a comfortable position and see which way your head ends up pointing. For me, on a pretty standard sofa, that seems to be at the coving on the opposite side of the room.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Mine is going on the chimney breast, regardless of what any fashion victims might think about that. I'll have it where it works best rather than where it looks prettiest any day. It'll be fully visible from right up the street too :o)

The opposite is true in my case, and I'm willing to bet I'm fairly typical in that respect.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

If you want to chase in the cables, you'll probably find the chimney breast is brick even if the rest of the interior walls are soft concrete blocks, so it'll need a bit more welly. On mine the render turned out to be pretty thin too, so most of the thickness had to come out of the brick. 25mm seemed to work fine without any sign of breaking through though, and nothing untoward fell into the fireplace.

Time, and the first smoky fire, will tell if I've compromised the flue...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

I do have one near the ceiling, but that's in the bedroom for watching when laying in bed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Is the correct answer...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hide the cables in "D Line" trunking instead.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Now I fitted a TV on the wall in a bedroom on Monday. She had no idea of where she wanted it and I had to hold the large TV against that wall as she laid in bed saying higher and lower:-)

Reply to
ARW

We used to have a 42" plasma on the chimney brest (blocked in, no mantle piece) mounted with the top edge at about 1.8m. Never appeared to be a problem to us. Seemed to make the screen look bigger as well. This was an very early plasma and was f*ck heavy, needed substantial fixings.

We now have a 46" LCD on there with the top edge at 1.3m and it does feel more comfortable though. Also it's so light it's on a single fixing, like a picture ;)

Reply to
Lee