OT computers

Though I am not stupid I am not particularly smart either but I know that $220 is more than $180
On 3/30/2014 10:28 PM, philo wrote:

Don't sell yourself short there philo, you are one of the brightest folks posting here. You gladly share your experience and knowledge which makes you a great guy to know. ^_^
TDD

Thanks.
I've said this before:
We learn from our mistakes, therefore I have learned a lot.
On 3/31/2014 7:51 AM, philo wrote:

There are a very few sincere people on this list, and we are three of them.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

I still have 3 Thinkpads in the house, an old T42p. T61p and little newer SL500. My laptop is fully loaded ASUS ROG. Lenovo/IBM turned me off when they white listed WiFi cards. Trying to upgrade with non- compatible card I almost killed my T61p hacking it's BIOS. Lucky I managed to install the card I wanted to. still I carry it around. Having Titanium shell, few times I sat on it by accident and nothing broke.
On Sunday, March 30, 2014 6:41:05 PM UTC-4, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

I just had a friend complaining to me that he was trying to restore an XP system he has and he said he tried to download service pack 3 for XP and it's no longer available. Not sure that's true, but that's what he said. If so, that's a real bitch. I can understand not supporting it anymore, but you would think MSFT would still make available the existing last updates for it.
On 3/31/2014 8:46 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I had a rough time trying to find SP3, it's "for network professionals". From experience, don't go to the web for sp3, you'll get some thing that kills your computer. DAMHIKT.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, March 31, 2014 1:38:36 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Where did you find it? On MSFT website?
On 3/31/2014 12:38 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You can download XP SP3 directly from Microsoft right here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id%129
Sheesh.

I just did it and put it on cd the other day.
Greg
On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 1:38:22 AM UTC-4, Gz wrote:

Thanks for the info guys. I'll pass that along to my friend. IDK what he was looking at that lead him to believe it was no longer available from MSFT. It didn't sound quite right to me either, because usually they just discontinue updates, fixes, support, etc but leave whatever there is existing available for a long time.
On 4/1/2014 12:38 AM, gregz wrote:

Planning for the end, I got out my backup drive, and put XP on it, with help from my computer wizzard.
The Windows update page doesn't function with XP. I left the backup drive in last night, and there were 133 auto updates waiting for me in the morning.
Now I've got my next hard drive, for when this one grows old and fails.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Mayayana wrote:

If any one is upgrading their hardware, it'd be wise to have HD video/audio and HDMI connector plus USB3 port(s).

It all depends on how much money you want to spend and what you do with the computer.
If you are using a 12 year old computer and not needing anything much beter, I would get on ebay and look at some of the used ones. Mainly be Dell. Over the last several years I have bought a few. Just make sure they come with the COA tag on the box (that is sort of the Windows serial number). You can get just the computer for around $ 100 to $ 150 with windows XP installed on it.
One thing about the Dell computers is that they have a number on them and you can go to their web site and put in that number and get manuals and download the drivers for the sound card and video if you ever need to.
Win XP is almost as old as your compter and if the bugs are not worked out after over 10 years, they never will be. What makes anyone think the newer systems are any more bug free ?
New memory even if it is the old style can often be found inexpensive on ebay. Same for hard drives and other computer parts.

If your machine is working and you are happy with it, buy a new drive and clone yours onto it while it is still breathing. Rock on. Use Disk Wizard or one of the other free cloning programs. DW will work if there is a seagate or maxtor drive anywhere on your system, working or not. I keep an old one laying around in case I have all different brands on the machine I am playing with.
<stuff snipped>

Smellest thou a rat? Three posts from Jerry, all of them in one week, two of them way OT - recall the "are two 250mg pills = to a 500mg pill?" No valid return address and no follow-up on the OT pill question. I'll make a trollhunter of you yet, DerbyDad. (-:
If someone like you asked a PC question OT, it would be a different story because you know the posters here and their expertise. A newbie posting this would be akin to him posting a WD-40 thread or an "I hate HF" or one of the dozen perpetual topics that are favored by the resident trolls. <sigh>
It's sad that some people get their kicks wasting the time, goodwill and helpfulness of others but this has been going on for a long, long time. It used to be Mac v. IBM in the old, churlish days of modems and bodkins.
--
Bobby G.

On 3/30/2014 9:01 PM, Robert Green wrote:

When ever they don't come back and enter into discussion, I suspect troll.
At least it churns the ng up as usenet is dying.
On 3/30/2014 5:41 PM, Jerry wrote:

Best bet is to avoid the big mass market sellers. Go to a local shop that builds or customizes computers. The guy I use will transfer all you data.
Outlook Express is long gone, sad to say. As for your monitor, if it is anything less than a 19" flat screen, get a new one.
Windows 7 is a good system.
| If any one is upgrading their hardware, it'd be wise to have HD | video/audio and HDMI connector plus USB3 port(s).
As I understand it, the decision is between salvaging an older XP box and buying a new PC. To extend the life of the XP box, a new hard disk should do it. Maybe some more memory could be useful. Maybe not.
Getting HDMI or USB3 (neither of which seems terribly important to me) would mean putting in a new motherboard ....which then needs a new power supply ...and a new CPU ...and new RAM ...And then if he has OEM XP then that won't run on the updated box and can't be reactivated. I don't think the OP is interested in building a new PC for himself. If it comes to that he's just going to buy a new PC.