OT computers

Page 12 of 12
| Jerry wrote: | | >In other words, I need some words of wisdom regarding what information I | >should be looking for. And what should I steer clear of? | | Has anyone noticed the OP has only replied once in over 250 replies to | his queries?
He actually replied twice. The second time was to say he was going to check out cheap used PCs at Microcenter.
That kind of thing happens a lot. I chalk it up to inattentiveness and lack of courtesy. Many people just don't realize that they could help their own cause by providing information, and many people don't think to say thanks. For all we know Jerry might have bought a new PC last week and just couldn't be bothered to tell us. But that's OK. The OP provides a way for useful information to make it to people who need it -- whether he's listening or not. :)

Although with UEFI replacing BIOS booting, the legacy partition table is pretty much history, having been replaced by GPT (GUID partition table).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
| | Although with UEFI replacing BIOS booting, the legacy | partition table is pretty much history, having been | replaced by GPT (GUID partition table). | | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
I'm not entirely clear about that. My understanding is that UEFI supports standard MBR partitioning, and that GPT partitioning is not necessary except to access beyond 2 TB per partition.
I know that BootIt supports partitioning of GPT but not booting from it. XP, which I'm using, also does not support booting from it. What I'm not clear about are the longterm ramifications, but my impression is that I should be able to boot XP on future systems by using MBR partitioning.

program I use for imaging and cloning hard drives. It is a program called Easeus todo backup. It works better than HDClone, which works better than Norton Ghost. Their Partition Master is also an excellent product.
On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:05:51 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I used Easeus and liked it...but after finding it was Chinese I removed it. But that's just me...
On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 12:56:04 -0400, "Mayayana"

With ToDo bgackup you can image or clone the complete drive, or any combination of partitions. You can clone to a larger or smaller drive, as long as there is not more data than fits on the drive.
And no - I won't argue the point with YOU.
On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 18:13:00 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa

Chinese??? Virtually every tool or appliance, every Radio, TV, telephone, and even CAR has chinese parts in it.
On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:26:51 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Other than smart appliances...what would that have to do with my security? We're talking intrusive software here...bad or good!
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The 50th anniversity Buck 110 knives are brin and bred inIdaho afaik.
On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 03:50:00 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa

in Russia, India, China,Pakistan, and who-know-where-else. Absolutely NO guarantee it is not intrusive. And the vast majority of "security equipment" is also partly or wholly sourced from China. You just can't win.
On Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:20:33 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

No, but we can still make choices...
Mayayana wrote:

Oh well...
--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

any real difference, in so many cases.
On Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:34:43 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But not all cases! 8^p