OT - camping lantern choices

Page 3 of 4
On 1/18/2016 9:02 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'll mention that idea. The one LED lantern I had put out light in a bad pattern (flat like a pizza pie) and not enough light to be useful. New Cree emitters might be different story.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I looked up lumen output a while ago when I was contemplating getting an LED lantern to replace my Propane Coleman. I don't recall the exact numbers now but in broad terms the LEDs put out a few hundred lumens and the Propane lanterns put out 1000 or more. I did buy an LED lantern but it puts out nowhere near the light of the propane. For lighting the inside or a tent it's fine but for lighting up the whole of a campground the Propane is what does the job. I have two propane, one a Coleman and the other some off brand. The Coleman is about twice as bright.

Given the choice between only those two, propane wins hands down. It's safer to use and transport, you don't have to worry about spilling anything, and it's easier to find.
But the choice isn't limited to only those two: like Ed said, check out the LED lanterns.
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 20:58:53 -0500, Stormin Mormon

no filter funnel required.
For power cuts a duel fuel liquid fueled lantern is ideal - you can run it on leadfree motor fuel.
My choice for power interuuptrion though is neither. A good LED battery operated lantern is much safer and works very well.
On 1/18/2016 9:17 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The one time I tried a liquid fuel lantern, too much work and bother. Propane runs till it's dry, and never needs pumping.
Two votes for LED battery, now.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, January 18, 2016 at 8:58:52 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I prefer propane because I don't like storing or transporting liquid fuel. I also use the small propane tanks for my portable stove and grill for short camping trips and picnics. Therefore, one fuel for all purposes.
For longer camping trips, I have a Y connector and long hoses so I can use my portable stove and grill with a single 20 lb tank. I can also refill the 2 lb tanks for the lantern from the 20 lb tank.
However, on my last camping trip I left the lantern home and threaded a 5 meter string of LED's through the framework of my pop-up canopy. It was powered by a jump start battery pack and hooked up through an LED dimmer control. It was sweet. Full bright for meal prep and low, mellow light for most other activities. SWMBO absolutely loved the convenience.
On 1/18/2016 9:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm seeing a trend toward LED. Might mention that to my friend. As to house lighting, i've heard of folks using strings of Christmas lights up and down the hall. Car battery and small inverter.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/19/2016 07:41 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[snip]

I have a string of red LED Christmas lights in my hall. These are called "Lilly's lights" since I originally put them there to avoid stepping on the little cat who often slept in the hall.
I also have an old UPS that won't put out enough power for a PC, but it will operate those LEDs. It's nice to have some light during a power outage, such as after the tornado last May. BTW, I was in the hall when it went out.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

L E D would be the choice of most people today.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?pf741&cat=2,40725,45454,66741
just one example.
--- ---
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 22:54:55 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote:

You better hurry and get a LED lantern. The world is running out of LEDs. The LED mines are all running out, and soon there will be no more of them. The miners keep digging deeper trying to locate more LEDs, but it appears there are no more anywhere in the world. So, when our present supply of them runs out, LEDs will no longer be available anywhere in the world. Thats when beeswax candles will become popular again!
gaterbarrow@example.000 wrote:

On 1/19/2016 12:41 AM, gaterbarrow@example.000 wrote:

A Russian mine in Siberia just hit a huge vein of Cree Emitters, which should keep the world supplied for a while, unless Iran floods the market with a glut of Cree Emitters from under the sands.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/18/2016 11:41 PM, gaterbarrow@example.000 wrote:

And the motto of that is "the more there is of mine, the less there is of yours" :-)
--
"The computer programmer's national anthem is 'AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!'"

On 1/18/2016 8:58 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

For light output, I like my fueled Coleman best. Liquid fuel probably preferable to gas as its cheaper and you could also use gasoline. My Coleman is over 30 years old, moderate use, and only a couple of new mantles needed. I used to take it to my friends hunting camp and it was great for tracking blood trails at night.
I've been disappointed with all the LED lanterns I've bought. Have not seen one that put out enough light to read by.
On 1/19/2016 6:37 AM, Frank wrote:

We use this: <
http://r1.coleman.com/ProductImages/Regular/5324-700_500.jpg
it has an 11W CFL powered by 8 D cells and throws a pretty bright beam a considerable distance.
Set it FACE DOWN (!) and "stretch" the body: <
http://content.backcountry.com/images/items/900/CMN/CMN0108/ONCO.jpg
to expose the SIDES of the bulb as an "area lamp" -- more than adequate to read by, light a large tent, etc.
OTOH, spare bulbs are $5...
On 1/19/2016 8:51 AM, Don Y wrote:

I like it. being Coleman, it's probably fifty bucks?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 8:35:09 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Fluorescent's/batteries= bad performance and old technology...been there with a hand-me-down. Coleman twin-mantel and Coleman fuel...it's like smelling napalm in the morning!
On 1/19/2016 9:42 AM, bob_villain wrote:

Missed the cfl part until I read your reply. Looks good but I have to agree with you. All the led lanterns I have are the multiple bulb types that are maybe only good in finding your way to the bathroom.
On 1/19/2016 12:46 PM, Frank wrote:

LED lamps tend to be good at throwing light in *one* direction. When you want to light an area "from within" (as opposed to "from above" or "from the side"), you need a light source that emits light in all directions.
You can buy "corn-cob LED arrays that try to do this. Or, other configurations with various types of diffusers.
When the CFL dies in this lantern, I'll gut the electronics and retrofit a corn-cob emitter array in its place -- forfeiting the "beam" capability in favor of the "lantern" capability.
If I get ambitious, I'll see if I can find a gelled electrolyte battery to cram in it in place of the 8xD cells (which are not rechargeable).
But, I can afford to wait and see what newer lighting technologies and packages come along before undertaking those modifications...
On 1/19/2016 3:22 PM, Don Y wrote:

Looking at Coleman lanterns on Amazon, I see my classical unit is about 100 bucks and all others, gas or battery are cheaper. You can also get the lumen output of some of them and mantles are 2-3X that of batteries. I believe the classic puts out 1,400 lumens which is close to that of 2 15 watt cfl's. I just skimmed the field and may not be exactly accurate but like to see lumens posted for any light I buy. Also read Amazon reviews where some customers say some units are nowhere near as bright as advertised.
I buy nothing but LED flashlights these days and sorry I have several as they just keep getting stronger and cheaper.