Japanese Stone Garden Lantern

Hi from Canada,

My mother has had a Japanese Stone Lantern in her backyard for years. Only the two top pieces, exposed the most to the elements, have discolored to an ugly dark grey. The base pieces are still their original light grey. Does anyone know how I can clean the stone myself? She's moving to a condo and is planning to leave it behind but I'd like to try to sell it for her as she's a senior on a fixed income.

Thanks so much.

Reply to
J'sGirl

I'd not sell it, it can be decorative indoors too. Unless it's truly hand carved stone but instead a casting it probably won't bring much... but in either case it will bring more as is... do not attempt to clean it. It will clean up all on it's own placed outdoors in a sunny spot for a few years, but someone would very likely pay more with it having the weathered patina you describe.

Reply to
brooklyn1

I will add that a Japanese gardener said to use a mix of peanut butter & Milk spread on it to help it grow moss which makes it even more valuable. The more aged it looks the more desireable it is. Nan in DE

Reply to
nanzi