Redneck Lantern

Hi All,

Since my wife saw this, we have used it in several power outages. Just shine a flashlight at a clear jug of water. Presto! A lantern:

-T

Reply to
Todd

Ive pointed flashlights at the ceiling before.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I guess it helps, but I have a couple of LED lanterns that are bright and last a very long time on a set of batteries.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I prefer the ceiling thing. More light into the room.

The jug thing is fun for Christmas, some friends had a string of milk jugs out, with a string of old style Christmas bulbs into the jugs (over the water line). Made a string of milk jugs, each lit with a separate color.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've got a couple of LED lanterns too and they are OK to find your way around or have comforting light but even with a couple of dozen LED's, there is not enough light to read by. Like my old Coleman gasoline lantern but only if weather is cool as heat can be a problem indoors during the summer if power fails.

Reply to
Frank

I like that it gets rid of the dark or glare problem associated with a direct flashlight beam. It is a very gentle, non-blinding light

Reply to
Todd

The LED lantern I have is at leas 300 lumens and you can easily read.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've heard of using jugs with sunlight also.

I forget the details

Reply to
cycjec

Remember, the moon is really a lot more important than the sun, because the moon gives us light at night when we really need it.

Reply to
TimR

Not to mention keep us from having constant 200 mile and hour winds!

Reply to
Todd

Frank wrote in news:lsd238$190$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I got a 12VDC flourescent lantern somewhere. I also have a 12 V little car fan and a deep-cycle 12 V battery kept on a charger. I use these when the power goes out. Doesn't happen that often but it is very handy when it does. Light is bright enough to read by.

Reply to
KenK

I've got one with 20 focused LED's and can get by with it to read. I have a generator for longer power failures but only fire it up as needed, usually for longer outages.

Lot of these older LED lanterns and flashlights were quite wimpy and might advertise multiple LED's but not lumens. Most of us have those free HF 9 LED flashlights that don't put out a tenth the illumination of newer single LED lights.

Reply to
Frank

A clear bottle of water fitted into a hole in the roof acts as a very effective "solar light" - or skylight. Quite commonly used in the slums of central Africa, South America, and the Philipines, among other places. Brings the sunlight into dark windowless hovels during the day.

Reply to
clare

There is a lot to be said for free, or free with any purchase. I give them away for Christmas.

I can leave one on at night for pee light, and not be upset when the batteries corrode.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've had everything, including harbor freight flourescents. Nothing works anymore. Sometimes replacing batteries gets tiring.

I just bought a automatic hall light operating off 4 AA for a house. Kinda neat. Has on or auto. Would be a good multipurpose light for things. $15 walmart.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Fascinating video!

Reply to
Todd

cycjec posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I like to shine flashlights at jugs! It makes them appear bigger!

Reply to
Tekkie®