wavy glass

I was at a friend's new used house today, and he has kitchen cabinets, maybe made by a carpenter he hired, and maybe purchased in one piece with several matching cabinets, and a guy who was mooching off of him is staying there and one pane of glass in one cabinet is cracked. In place fwiw but cracked from side to side.

It's going to be easy to take it out and replace it, but the glass is not perfectly flat like I'm used to. Neither is it as wavy as the glass you'd see original to a 1700's building. This stuff has only a few slight ripples, and maybe a bubble or two in the whole 2 square feet.

Do they sell stuff like that now? Is it expensive? Is it hard to find?

Reply to
Micky

The glass is fairly cheap but the shipping will kill you. Look for "art glass" or something similar. I bought some for the cabinet we put in the living room and shipping was more than the glass. This is the guy we bought it from

gfretwell

Another way it wasn't wavy like really old glass is that the waves are not concentric, they weren't even curved. They were straight verticle lines running 8", maybe the whole 2 feet to the top of the glass. Have you ever heard of this before?

The owner wasnt' there and won't be there soon, and I don't want to tell him about the cracked glass until I learn a little about what it takes to replace it with matching glass.

Reply to
Micky

Other then the fact that the glass is cracked, what does any of the other stuff have to do with the situation, especially the stuff about the moocher?

A picture would really, really help.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A picture would really, really help.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I couldn't even get a picture of the crack, let alone the waves.

The moocher is on my mind. I was venting. Everything else IMO related to the kind of glass used.

Reply to
Micky

Thanks. I"m about to look at it. Wow, there sure are a lot of kinds. Amazing. I don't think I could tell what matches, even if I had the current piece in my hand. I called a place in Baltimore, which referred me to a place I can't find online! But she also said she had hundreds of kinds of glass and we could come and look. My friend was in a very bad mood today because of all this, but if he gets an order of eviction in court on Wednesday, he'll be in a better mood and ready to handle the glass. Or it may be postponed another

60 days. Even that woudn't be so bad if the marshalls throw him out then. He's been living there for 2.5 years for free, and now he move when he's asked to, then told to. What an ingrate.

The place gave directions from all over Ohio, so they must be the place to go.

I found a page by an artist, who makes etched and stained glass and one line on the page is

"Specializing in architectural glass panels for large applications, he mainly works in zinc came."

He works in zinc came??? What is that? Never mind: "came: a slender, grooved bar of lead for holding together the pieces of glass in windows of latticework or stained glass. " So zinc came must be made of zinc.

Reply to
Micky