Odd PIR lantern

Fixed up a PIR controlled external lantern style fitting today for a friend, and all worked as you would expect apart from one detail: With a

60W bulb in it, we were getting less light than expected (in fact a slightly "golden" effect to the light), and looking closely there was some flicker on the bulb. Hence I get the impression that it was running the bulb on half wave rectified mains. This was obviously not a fault since the second one I put up was the same. Anyone else noticed this with lantern style PIR fittings?
Reply to
John Rumm

Well mine flickers like crazy when it first switches on - the effect isn't at all subtle - but settles down after about 20 secs. Haven't even investigated yet whether a new bulb would help, but I suspect not.

David

Reply to
Lobster

mine works fine with a 7 watt low energy bulb.

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

This was very subtle - similar flicker to what you would see on a neon I suppose (i.e. invisible to a good proportion of the population it seems!).

Reply to
John Rumm

We used to have a pir coach lantern, (similar to

- although it was already fitted when we moved in, so might not be the same make). It was dim when on and then lit to full brightness when the PIR was activated. It couldn't be that this is what you are witnessing could it?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Pepper

from the bottom spike (so you can twiddle and point it)

No, this is off completely unless activated, then half on it seems.

Reply to
John Rumm