New cistern slow to fill

Hi all, I've just fitted a screwfix grove deluxe bathroom suite. All going OK so far apart from the toilet. It fills really really slowly and now it's not filling at all. This is the picture:

It's fed from the tank in the loft. If I take the top off the fill stack - which removes the float arm and a diaphragm with a 2mm plastic pole through it, and gently release the service valve I get a reasonable fountain of water. Suggesting that the flow up to this diaphragm is OK.

There doesn't seem to be an obvious mains vs. gravity fed switcheable part and it's not mentioned in the instructions. Is this a torbeck valve?

Also there is a small pipe connection (~4mm OD) at the top of this stack - what do you think it does this was supplied filled at the end. Err, I drilled it, thinking that if it has no effect then I could glue it over. Well it released a trickle but not the miracle cure I was after.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Ps Although it's not technically working, it isn't leaking either which was the problem I thought I'd have.

Reply to
Jon Telfer

It shouldn't be necessary to drill out the little nozzle, I would hsve thought, the valve should work out of the box.

The valve isn't a Torbeck branded one as far as I can see, but it is of the same principle - an equilibrium float valve.

If it has a flow restrictor for mains use, this is normally a spiral insert either behind the disphragm top or more likely in the inlet where the tap connector fitting is screwed on at the bottom.

This type of valve works by there being a small hole in the front cap through which a tiny amount of water is allowed to escape when filling is required. This causes the pressure to drop in the front part of the chamber behind and the incoming pressure will push the diaphragm forward releasing water into the cistern.

There should also be some kind of needle valve in the diaphragm. This is either formed with a needle mounted in the back of the valve and going through a tiny hard plastic grommet in the diaphragm, or sometimes with a little plastic peg in said hole

One likely reason for the problem is if the small hole at the front cap has become blocked, water can't escape. A second is if the needle valve is blocked.

During and immediately after installation, it is quite possible that a particle of crud has found its way to one or both of these valves.

Try taking the valve carefully apart, unclipping the front arm.

There should be a fine hole in the front. Push a *very* fine piece of wire through the hole in the front of the valve taking care not to enlarge the hole. Similarly check the needle valve and see if that has a problem.

If there is a flow restrictor, you can remove it although it will only make a difference to flow rate, not to whether or not the valve works. You've effectively flushed the valve so no need to do that again.

If you remove the valve completely to look for an insert in the bottom, then when refitting, don't do up the nut fixing the valve in the cistern first. Begin by getting the tap connector nut back on and done up loosely, then do up the retaining nut. Stripped threads on a cistern valve on a Sunday afternoon an hour before the sheds close is practically a blue light job.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks for that Andy. I've taken it apart and had a look at it. I don't think the fine hole that is plugged by the float arm was blocked. I found the diaphragm and I have a plastic pin through it - approx 1-2mm diameter. There's nothing finer than that though. I took the diaphragm out and flexed it a bit as it was a bit stiff. This has upped the flow rate a little but it's not great. I've emailled the manufacturer's (B&H ) so I'll see if they have anything usefull to add.

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Telfer

Hmm..... Not very conclusive. I'm wondering whether perhaps this valve is of a type normally used in the rest of Europe where cisterns etc. are mains fed. Possibly the diaphragm is a little thicker than one for a valve intended for the UK where the supply can be either mains or loft tank and a flow restrictor is used where there is mains pressure. That could be an explanation of what you are seeing, and it wouldn't be the first time that UK suppliers provide plumbing items sourced elsewhere in Europe that are only suitable for mains use - taps are another example.

To be honest if this becomes anything more than the supplier sending you a replacement diaphragm for the existing valve or a complete valve free of charge, then it really isn't worth pursuing.

You can buy a proper Torbeck valve for under £10 (e.g. 55211 from Screwfix) which will certainly work. From your photo, it doesn't appear that the float valve is in any way associated with the flush mechanism or that it is of any special type.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Some progress made at least, I contacted the valve manufacturer who replied with:

Hi Jon, Sorry to hear the problem - the ball valve you have is for H/P not L/P We are able to provide a L/P valve at cost price £10 + delivery. We would normally sell theses valves for £20 + delivery. If this is expectable to contact *******. Explain the situation - mention my name. Take care & good luck

Suggesting it's perhaps not an interchangeable part (or they're not set up to do that kind of thing). Not a particularly attractive offer but then again he's not the supplier so doesn't have to be that nice. I phoned screwfix and they are going to talk to their distributor to see what can be done. If that draws a blank then it'll be the Torbeck valve you suggest.

Thanks again for your help.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Telfer

You're very welcome. If you live near a shed, I think you should be able to get one for about a tenner anyway.

Reply to
Andy Hall