LED 60w equivalent bulbs really are getting cheaper

I bought a 5-pack yesterday from Screwfix for £9.99.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-gls-led-lamps-warm-white-bc-8-7w-pack-of-5/2330j
I've just replaced one of the spiral ones with one of the LED bulbs and the difference is amazing. First, it comes on instantly with maximum brightness, and second, the bulb is way brighter than the spiral. I reckon those spirals are gonna get scrapped throughout my house.
MM

Yes I saw those in their email yesterday then went to the web-site and found:-     NEW!     Out of Stock for Delivery
    and at my nearest 5 stores...
Brilliant marketing.

A quid in Poundland. Lovely quality of light too. I got several of the small globe bulbs and the clear candles.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

They seem to be reserved for the Screwfix *light and power* outlets.

--
Tim Lamb

Well, they've probably got a run on them at that price. Yesterday morning Spalding Screwfix had 4 in stock, but when I got there a couple of hours later they only had 2.
I first compared the price at Wilko. The cheapest equivalent I could find was £7 each!
MM
On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 08:59:11 +0000, Geo wrote:

HotUKDeals are to blame I think, posted on there a while back, I got 1 pack, been OOS since.
I concur on the Poundland ones, excellent, who knows how long they will last, I got the 5w GU10s for the kitchen, brighter than the 50w Halogens.

There's a Toolstation offer flyer at the moment: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/d220/LED+GLS+Lamps/sd3382 http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/d220/LED+Candle+Lamps/sd3380 http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/d220/LED+Ball+%26+Globe+Lamps/sd3379 http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/d220/LED+GU10+Lamps/sd2681 The 3- and 5-packs are decent value.
Says prices are valid until 29th Feb.
I'm curious how well the 'filament' LEDs work - are they good enough to replace clear incandescents in fittings where the exposed filament is a feature?
Theo
Theo wrote:

The 'filaments' are an array of 24 LEDs in series in a COB arrangement, seem to be 1W per filament.
Chris K

COB? Ah, chip on board. I wonder how the cooling for these works - given presumably the glass envelope is sealed it can't vent to the outside?
Some of the others seem to have some kind of optics - big LED in the base, light pipe up to plastic/glass lump that's vaguely shaped like a filament with stand.
Are they fussy about orientation?
Theo

Yes, absolutely. Some of the ones I have seen have been stunning. I was in a pub recently which had a line of retro fittings with exposed bulbs over the bar. I had to look closely before I realised they were LED.
People may also be interested in this very unusual new style of LED lamp. It's the same size and shape as a normal incandescent bulb but the 'bulb' is ventilated plastic and light is provided by a glass plate with LED strips mounted within the plastic 'bulb'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nme8T2yLhL0

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
On 12/01/16 22:35, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Interesting to look how 3M were proposing these should be manufactured 4 years ago.
"New 3M LED Advanced Light Bulb Illuminates the Future"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-84Hq-NsYsQ

--
Adrian C

Thanks, that's useful to know. Looks like the high voltage strings of many tiny LEDs solve several problems - (preventing) directionality, cooling and simplify the power supply too.
The teardowns on Youtube are very interesting. In particular the ones pointing out where half the LEDs in a package don't actually light (eg 100W ebay 'floodlights' which are probably rejects being resold)

I'm interested in the glass substrate, but a pity about the tacky 'milk carton' plastic surrounding it. I'm sure the glass could be better mounted.
Theo

Ah yes, you've been watching Big Clive too. Love his teardowns. The electrocute-o-daptor of death was a scream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvOTiQKkQMo

Push the green button and out pop the Prongs of Death!

It's probably for ventilation. All those LEDs must run pretty warm. It wouldn't matter inside a fitting or a shade. I'm tempted to get one to play with.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

I'm sure it could be mounted in something that's not a 'bulb' - for example expose the bottom of the flat plate. It's not like we need to control the heat from a tungsten filament any more.
What I am tempted to get some to play with is the phosphor - looks like they're essentially some blue LEDs with an external phosphor coating. If you do 'remote phosphor' - ie coat the phosphor on other things, not directly on the LED - it could make for some interesting effects.
Seems to be available on Alibaba, though minimum quantity is a bit of a pain. Anyone interested in sharing an order?
Theo

Yes, I'll have a couple. The email works.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

I can picture a lot of LED light bulbs suddenly illuminating above the heads of readers here :)
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
On 13/01/16 17:27, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

There are many times I've seen him struggle with basic tools trying to pop open things - is he going to cut himself this time? Dramatic...

Given that the construction is slightly open, I'm kind of wondering if it passes the electrical safety checks made with a representative "test finger", though in this case (me googlin' failed) I don't know which size test finger would be applicable to the class of light bulb. Certainly a table knife could touch ... (but so could the same to a toaster)
I also wonder if that design is coming over here, it could be the reason of the current very low prices of the existing offerings in Poundland which I have now redecorated the house with.
Oh well, I'll have to wait 10000 "switching cycles" [1] as described on the pack till I can buy these ones in replacement.
[1] Is that 10,000 on/offs at the light switch, or 10,000 * 20ms ...
--
Adrian C

On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 15:32:11 +0000, Adrian Caspersz

In my house the collander thing would fill up with spiders and need vacuuming every week.

Fuck's sake - we've got exactly that model at home; I'd always thought it was rather a good adapter!
It's now going in my workshop, only to be brought out on special occasions as my party piece!
--
David

What really gets me is the way you can plug the earth pin of a BS1363 plug into the live pin on the front of the adapter. You're fuddling around in the dark and muck under your desk, and think you've successfully plugged something in, when in reality your metal-cased device has just become live...
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!