LED 60w equivalent bulbs really are getting cheaper

That's what puts me off using SF & TS - all the lamps are warm white; 4000 -

- 4500K is much better for working. The lamps over/near the beds are ~2800K filament as they're kinder on the eyes first thing.

Reply to
PeterC

The spread of light is very good. Getting a decent colour temperature (4000K-ish) is difficult. They seem to stay cool due, I suppose, to the large area of the emitter.

Reply to
PeterC

Thanks, that's useful to know. Looks like the high voltage strings of many tiny LEDs solve several problems - (preventing) directionality, cooling and simplify the power supply too.

The teardowns on Youtube are very interesting. In particular the ones pointing out where half the LEDs in a package don't actually light (eg 100W ebay 'floodlights' which are probably rejects being resold)

I'm interested in the glass substrate, but a pity about the tacky 'milk carton' plastic surrounding it. I'm sure the glass could be better mounted.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

En el artículo , Theo escribió:

Ah yes, you've been watching Big Clive too. Love his teardowns. The electrocute-o-daptor of death was a scream:

Push the green button and out pop the Prongs of Death!

It's probably for ventilation. All those LEDs must run pretty warm. It wouldn't matter inside a fitting or a shade. I'm tempted to get one to play with.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I'm sure it could be mounted in something that's not a 'bulb' - for example expose the bottom of the flat plate. It's not like we need to control the heat from a tungsten filament any more.

What I am tempted to get some to play with is the phosphor - looks like they're essentially some blue LEDs with an external phosphor coating. If you do 'remote phosphor' - ie coat the phosphor on other things, not directly on the LED - it could make for some interesting effects.

Seems to be available on Alibaba, though minimum quantity is a bit of a pain. Anyone interested in sharing an order?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

En el artículo , Theo escribió:

Yes, I'll have a couple. The email works.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

There are many times I've seen him struggle with basic tools trying to pop open things - is he going to cut himself this time? Dramatic...

Given that the construction is slightly open, I'm kind of wondering if it passes the electrical safety checks made with a representative "test finger", though in this case (me googlin' failed) I don't know which size test finger would be applicable to the class of light bulb. Certainly a table knife could touch ... (but so could the same to a toaster)

I also wonder if that design is coming over here, it could be the reason of the current very low prices of the existing offerings in Poundland which I have now redecorated the house with.

Oh well, I'll have to wait 10000 "switching cycles" [1] as described on the pack till I can buy these ones in replacement.

[1] Is that 10,000 on/offs at the light switch, or 10,000 * 20ms ...
Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

En el artículo , Theo escribió:

Ah, apologies. I thought you meant you were getting the actual lamps featured on BigClive's uTube feed.

I'll pass on the phosphor, thanks. I'm interested but not interested enough to fiddle - there are few enough hours in the day as it is.

I can picture a lot of LED light bulbs suddenly illuminating above the heads of readers here :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In my house the collander thing would fill up with spiders and need vacuuming every week.

Reply to
Geo

I trundled off to TS and bought a few to have a play.

The 'filament' ones are rather nice - very traditional looking. They have multiple filaments which are slightly unconventional, but generally seem to look the part.

This one:

with the light in the base and a plastic lens to disperse it, is a bit of a mixed bag. It looks like an incandescent when on, which is good, but is somewhat odd looking when off. It also casts wierd shadows on the ceiling (when in a 'chandelier' uplighter). I imagine if used in a pendant lamp would cast those shadows on the floor, which might be less appealing.

I bought this one:

as the brightest 'filament' one I could find - a bit pricey but I wanted to try it out. It does look nice, and the light is decently bright (would guess 75-100W territory). But having got used to CFLs I made the mistake of forgetting that a lot of lampshades were designed for candle bulbs and a GLS won't fit. Unfortunately CFLs are still brighter than LED candle bulbs (that they sell anyway). I haven't plunged into the ebay depths thus far.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

On 13 Jan 2016, Mike Tomlinson grunted:

Fuck's sake - we've got exactly that model at home; I'd always thought it was rather a good adapter!

It's now going in my workshop, only to be brought out on special occasions as my party piece!

Reply to
Lobster

En el artículo , Lobster escribió:

What really gets me is the way you can plug the earth pin of a BS1363 plug into the live pin on the front of the adapter. You're fuddling around in the dark and muck under your desk, and think you've successfully plugged something in, when in reality your metal-cased device has just become live...

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I am deeply impressed they got so many death features in one product!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Presumably to meet your sledge-hammer?

Reply to