Hmm, bulb dilemma

I "rescued" this bulb from a blown over and broken street lamp.

I suspect it's not gonna work plugged into a standard ES socket. Any creative suggestions as to what to do with it? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, Tim+ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

:-)

I once discovered that British Rail carriage lamps fitted my Boxford centre lathe work light!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

My fridge light is currently broken but this one won?t fit. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It looks to me like a sodium discharge bulb, couldn?t say whether it is high or low pressure type, certainly the high pressure type need a ballast to work. Might be useful for an outside light but not inside unless you particularly like a bright yellow light effect.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

ARW

Some (even all?) have three pins (rather than the standard two pins on normal BC).

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I think you mean ?rescue?, not steal. ;-)

A socket set will open up the metal

Alas not possible I was exaggerated a little bit about the whole lamp blowing over, it was only the lantern off he top that blew off. It?s also in a very public place for performing such rescues. It?ll almost certainly get replaced with an LED lamp so I suppose I could ask the council nicely if they have any redundant control gear. Any idea what I should ask for (exactly)?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I don?t think it?s sodium. It?s a discharge lamp of some sort (a Philips bulb) but I think it was a white ( or near white) light, not bright orange or pale peachy orange.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It will be a high pressure mercury discharge light...Needs a ballast. Go back and nick the ballast. They are obsolete. More efficient hat an incandescent lamp but less than an LED

Reply to
harry

it's probably a SOX one that needs a ballast

Send it to clive (not really he's probably got dozens of them)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Mount it into some kind of display base as a kind of talking point item. B> flog it back to the council. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

You also might get arrested for stealing it if there were cctv cameras around when you took it.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Which are the bluish ones that seem bright and indeed upset my non seeing eyes but seem dim contrast wise, called? Mercury vapour? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

I'd suggest just giving them the bulb back personally. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

A valid suggestion but not very creative. ;-)

Tim

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) snipped-for-privacy@bluey> I'd suggest just giving them the bulb back personally.

Reply to
Tim+

The nearest I've found is a Caramic Metal Halide bulb, one of many made by GE, good for growing plants apparently.

might be able to buy a suitable ballast for yours.

Reply to
Dave W

That could be HID or white sodium. Mercury is less likely.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

they usually go into goliath screw sockets, E40. A ballast is vital.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On a school trip to London I stole all the bulbs out of the train lavatories*. They fitted the light sockets in my mate's house where we tried them but were a lower voltage and went off like flashbulbs.

*This was when I was a pupil, not a teacher.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Few years ago the council went round fitting such lights on the decks of the flats. They were all stolen by local horticulturalists.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright