HPS bulb is dim (2023 Update)

I just replaced a 70 watt LU70 bulb in my driveway and it won't get bright . It only stays dim. It comes on and off correctly but doesn't get that bri ght orange glow. Any ideas? The old bulb was cycling on and off, barely even getting full brightness before shutting off and starting over. I let it go until it was out complet ely. Bad choice I'm sure. Any idea if I just have a bad bulb or is there so mething more wrong with fixture like capacitor?

Reply to
zzyzzyxx216

On Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 10:10:04 AM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro te:

t. It only stays dim. It comes on and off correctly but doesn't get that br ight orange glow. Any ideas?

s before shutting off and starting over. I let it go until it was out compl etely. Bad choice I'm sure. Any idea if I just have a bad bulb or is there something more wrong with fixture like capacitor?

The fixture is over heating and shorting out and should be replaced.

Reply to
redzap78

If you let a low pressure sodium lamp operate ANY length of time with a bad bulb you WILL destroy the ballast. My guess is your ballast is TOAST

Reply to
Clare Snyder

-- If Capacitor is partially failed, then bulb won't get bright. Try replacing the Capacitor. Make sure to use one with the same UF rating.

Reply to
Doug 101