Re: 'Most Expensive Mile On Earth': $4.4 Billion For NYC Subway...

No problem they can raise property taxes to pay the way...

>add another dollar to a pack of smokes....tax sugar...add a dollar to a >bottle of beer...plenty of money to be had yet..dig on.. > >'Most Expensive Mile On Earth': $4.4 Billion For NYC Subway... > >From alt left NYT just for traders troopers... > >

Those blue states raid the road tax money for boondoggles like this and then complain their roads and bridges are crumbling. Why don't they simply raise ticket prices to cover the real cost of riding trains?

Reply to
gfretwell

Don't get me started... In PA the Turnpike has been made to "contribute" to the PennDot coffers. As a result the turnpike roads are crappy and the PennDot roads are crappier. Where did the money go? I can't find out.

Reply to
Tekkie®

I am sure you could find out but I would start looking at commuter trains, Amtrack or maybe they just dump it into the general fund. We have a few toll bridges around here that were paid off decades ago, the maintenance is a fraction of the revenue but they still have no cash reserves. The good thing is at least they do the maintenance.

Reply to
gfretwell

When they built the NYS Thruway it was going to be a toll road until the bonds were paid off. afaik that never happened in 60 years and counting.

There was an interesting juggling act with I-84. Maintenance was supposed to revert to the NYDOT but the politicians realized the Thruway Authority actually does stuff like plow the roads so the DOT pays the TA to maintain it.

Reply to
rbowman

rbowman posted for all of us...

In PA the state will pay a municipality (ours does) to plow the roads. The plowing is wonderful but like a crap shoot it can be a plus in the coffers or a minus by snow activity.

Reply to
Tekkie®