Buddha's Lantern

I wonder if the plant is not Physalis franchetii var. Gigantea

This 1-2 foot perennial produces extremely decorative seed cases that look like glowing orange paper lanterns.

this plant was commonly grown in Brooklyn, and i very much enjoyed harvesting it because the orange paper lanterns were like "everlasting" and did not fade or perish like cut flowers...

hermine

Reply to
hermine stover

I know the flower of which you speak. It is not the one the one that I was asking about, although it is a pretty flower. Thanks for the input, though. I am going back to Busch Gardens tomorrow, (thanks to the residents buy one day, get the rest of the year free pass), and will find out the name of the plant then.

Reply to
PATRICIA RIDDER

Well the only other thing i can think of is a strange citrus with a very baroque fruit, and i do not think this is it! i will be very interested to know what this plant REALLY is, i hope you find out and post it to us soon.

It is hard to keep up with the nicknames of plants, easier to remember the latin.

herm

Reply to
hermine stover

That Citrus is Buddha's Finger Citron. Definitely not the same. I am interested to know what it is too.

elizabeth

Reply to
Elizabeth

Except that its not a flower at all. It is the inflated papery calyx of a husk tomato.

It is not a seed case either. The fruit is a berry at the base of the calyx.

Please do get the actual botanical name of the plant and write it down this time. As you have seen, common names are rather useless.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

Wouldn't be this would it?

Images via the bottom of the page..

Curious now...;-)) / Jim

Reply to
Jim W

I have heard this called the Chinese FLAME tree, Jim. hve you heard it called Buddha's Lantern? i am ready to call Busch Gardens and DEMAND the right name!

herm

Reply to
hermine stover

I posted this to the other subject line, same thread: There is a tree native to South America that is commonly called a 'lantern' tree, Crinodendron hookerianum. Have never heard it refered to as "Buddha's Lantern', but who knows?? Check here:

- gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Nope never heard it called buddha's lantern, never heard of that period and found nowt on the web anywhere.

Get the botanical name.. It may just be the garden workers that call it that. The demon of common nomenclature! LOL;-) / Jim (Still curious)

gardening in North London, England, UK

Reply to
Jim W

snipped-for-privacy@macunlimited.net (Jim W) wrote in news:1g3t6bz.oymgmjxlt7eoN% snipped-for-privacy@macunlimited.net:

yeah the name's kind of iffy.

Since when did Buddha or any other ascetics carry around lanterns?

Maybe the really name is Bubba's Lantern, named after some local's habit of carrying around a flashlight.

-- ST

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Hi, all, and sorry about not replying back sooner. The Busch Gardens trip was a bust, as I could not find a plant-oriented person to save my life. BUT, I will take the idea that one of the posters had, and call tomorrow, to get the name. It is not the tree that was mentioned in the link provided earlier, by the way. This has become a quest, similar in nature and magnitude to the quest, and subsequent trials endured by the famed explorer Clark Griswold. Rest assured, I will stand tall, and when the victory knell has sounded, and I, victorious, stand with the name of this plant, all shall share in the glory that is the botanical name!

Reply to
whoamI

LOL I take it you didn't have a camera with you then?

/ Jim

Reply to
Jim W

Maybe they had a disposable camera and threw it away?!

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

This may have been covered already but it wasn't Ficus religiosa known as the Bhodi tree was it? Buddha is reputed to have taught under such a tree.

did it have leaves like this?

Jim W