OT - camping lantern choices

A Russian mine in Siberia just hit a huge vein of Cree Emitters, which should keep the world supplied for a while, unless Iran floods the market with a glut of Cree Emitters from under the sands.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I remember that in camp stoves, some are "dual fuel" which is Coleman fuel and unleaded gasoline.

The LED lantens I have over the years, not bright enough to be useful. One camping trip, I tried my LED lantern to walk from the camp fire back to my vehicle. Not bright enough. Had to get out my LED flash light and shine that down the trail.

Didn't have my Ozark fluorescent to try, but I think that would have worked fine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I like it. being Coleman, it's probably fifty bucks?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Five hours on high -- not long enough to be useful, I'd think.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Fluorescent's/batteries= bad performance and old technology...been there with a hand-me-down. Coleman twin-mantel and Coleman fuel...it's like smelling napalm in the morning!

Reply to
bob_villain

what type of batteries?

Reply to
taxed and spent

I was hoping to use mine to light a 8x12 shed. It was bright enough to see large objects but too dim to see any detail. Since I was reloading I didn't want to use the propane lantern.

Reply to
rbowman

NiCd rechargeable I think. I haven't used it in a while but iirc there are no replaceable batteries.

Reply to
rbowman

Internal, rechargable. Which suggests sub c nicads. My question, is there a provision for primary cells for when the nicads go flat? Or are you in the dark till you can recharge?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The Walmart brand fluorescent lanterns take four D cells, and much brighter.

Walmart also has "closet lights" in the small electrical section, 4 D cells, and can mount to the wall. Or, ceiling, if you're creative. I have a closet light over the light switch in my bedroom, for power outs.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is there any way to use alkalines, for when the nicads go flat?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That "suggestion" is a wild ass guess. Could be anything.

Reply to
taxed and spent

I don't buy anything with nicads anymore. So many better choices,.

Reply to
taxed and spent

YOu may want to look into the led shop lights. Get one of them for about $

40 and a 12 volt to 120 volt inverter from Harbor Freight for about $ 20, the lowest powered one should be plenty and a deep cycle battery. Or maybe get one of their 120 volt generators for about $ 100 or less on sale. The generator probably will not last too long, but not that much either. You could power a lot of light with that thing and it should not cost that much to run. Just put it outside the building and on the opposite side of the door so no CO gets into the shed.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

What do you do if the power goes out and you are not in bed? There are better solutions. I have a few lights like these

They serve as a night light in the hallway and if power goes out you have a bright light that can be used as a flashlight until you take whatever steps you need.

Sounds like a good idea. How long do they last? I wonder if an LED would last longer? My battery lights are good for about 40 hours. That translates to about 4 or more days if power was out very long.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How old are they? The Colemans I have are plenty bright for reading. They are about 2 years old and may be better than stuff from the past.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Only been working on consumer electronics for forty or so years. Yep, wild ass guess.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As a former volunteer FF, and former black and white film developer, I can find my way in the dark if I'm home and know the landscape already.

If I'm in public, always have two light sources with me, and some times three or four.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

it could not ***possibly*** be any of the other rechargeable technologies?

Reply to
taxed and spent

I have several hand-held led lanterns that run on D cells - 20 LEDs on high and 10 on low - Plenty bright to read by - even with cataracts. The LED landing lights we are putting on the Pegazair will light up a full 2 stoy building from 600 feet away bright as day - and blind you if you are looking at them. I think they are 40 watts - mabee 60. And that's real power consumption - not "equivalent"

Reply to
clare