OT - camping lantern choices

Page 2 of 4
On 01/19/2016 06:56 AM, taxed and spent wrote:

NiCd rechargeable I think. I haven't used it in a while but iirc there are no replaceable batteries.
On 1/19/2016 10:04 AM, rbowman wrote:

Is there any way to use alkalines, for when the nicads go flat?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I don't buy anything with nicads anymore. So many better choices,.
On 1/18/2016 7:02 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The downside of anything electrical is you are then at the mercy of finding a long-term power source.
We have a few battery powered LED & CFL flashlights/lanterns that we use for sporadic/short term use. Rarely left "on" for more than a couple of minutes at a time. We keep crank lights by the bedside to make our way to a better light if we awaken to a house without power. This minimizes the need to keep fresh batteries on hand.
We run a cord to a nearby UPS and use table lamps with CFL's for power outages. This lets us have a fair bit of light in several locations. That way, we don't have to buy (and STORE!) lanterns that are SOLELY used in the absence of power -- along with keeping batteries for same.
I opted for propane for the disaster kit instead of white gas for similar reasons: I can keep propane on hand for the BBQ grill, camp stove and propane torch (plumbing). Storing white gas *just* for an emergency/camping means it's something "extra" instead of something that can find other "normal" uses.
[Currently looking into a propane genset in lieu of gasoline; diesel would be preferable -- but then we have to store diesel fuel instead of siphoning FRESH gasoline from a vehicle!]
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 21:07:26 -0700, Don Y

- so I've got the best of 3 worlds - right now the 7500 watt unit is limitted to 5200 on Natural Gas due to the sise of my line. Great on propane and gasoline
On 1/18/2016 11:07 PM, Don Y wrote:

What do you do if the power goes out and you are not in bed? There are better solutions. I have a few lights like these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sylvania-Power-Failure-3-in-1-Light/11080456
They serve as a night light in the hallway and if power goes out you have a bright light that can be used as a flashlight until you take whatever steps you need.

Sounds like a good idea. How long do they last? I wonder if an LED would last longer? My battery lights are good for about 40 hours. That translates to about 4 or more days if power was out very long.
On 1/19/2016 11:24 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

As a former volunteer FF, and former black and white film developer, I can find my way in the dark if I'm home and know the landscape already.
If I'm in public, always have two light sources with me, and some times three or four.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/19/2016 9:24 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We have MagLites in holders (clips?) by the front and back doors. I have a flashlight hanging under my office worktable. And, one in the garage.

We had a pair of something similar (Coleman, IIRC). While plugged in, they kept the batteries charged. Also had an electroluminescent strip on the front to act as a 24/7 nightlight. In an outage, you could unplug them and carry them like a flashlight.
But, the charging circuit was notorious for cooking the battery pack (nowadays, you could probably just plop some NiMH cells in but this was a NiCd -- not easily replaceable)

Dunno. We've never had an outage of more than ~1 hr. Rough calculation: battery pack is 7AHr @ 24V. So, roughly 170WHr. CFL is 13W yields ~13 hours (assuming 100% efficiency). Guesstimate half that?

No question! As would a smaller (wattage) CFL. But, my goal is not to have to have "special" things to address unusual, infrequent events. E.g., if 6 hours wasn't enough, I'd unplug the extension cord and run it over to another UPS -- that has been *off* for all this time (you have to make sure your UPS will start in the absence of AC line voltage; some won't).

I figure at 4 days, "light" is probably the least of our concerns! :> The point of the propane lantern/camp stove was that I could always "steal" a can of propane from the torch kit, in a pinch. A gallon of white gas (for a lantern) doesn't help me when I need to sweat a joint on some pipes! :>
On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 12:36:45 -0700, Don Y

On 1/19/2016 1:36 PM, Don Y wrote:

The longest outage we've had was 10 days without power. The next longest was 3 days, I think.
--
Maggie

Muggles formulated the question :

Wow. The longest we have gone without power is 2 hours. The portable generators from Lowes and Home Depot sold out in one day then. lol
On 1/20/2016 8:04 AM, Eagle wrote:

It was hard to find portable generators here, too! lol
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

last time we had it. Longest we had was like less than couple hours.
On 1/20/2016 10:12 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

All of our power lines are above ground, so if we have a bad windy storm and trees drop branches, someone is going to be without power. We had some bad spring storms that did a lot of damage all over which is when we had the 3 day power outage. A winter ice storm nearly put the entire city out of commission, and many businesses, including grocery stores and gas stations had to set up big generators so people could get groceries and pump gas. The average person either got lucky and bought a generator, had one already, or just did without power. The average length of time people were w/o power was 5 to 10 days depending on what part of the city you lived in, but some people on the outskirts of town were w/o power for 4 to 6 weeks. It was a mess.
--
Maggie

preferably about 3 years after the last power failure!!!
On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 5:07:40 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrot e:

...was that you best effort? ペ㍕˚\
On 1/20/2016 6:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

when people sell off that big klunk they had out in the garage, to free up space for the latest toy.
I only wish I was alive to get the good price.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/20/2016 5:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I agree!
--
Maggie

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

The power co's don't make money if the meter ain't spinning. They have to think about what they are doing because not all utilities follow the same scheme and grids.
--
Tekkie

On 1/20/2016 9:04 AM, Eagle wrote:

With just in time shipping, the stores inventories are pretty much zero, now days. Real shame, when a bubble or hiccough comes into the system. Or a power cut.
I'm sure I would have agreed with that.
--
.
Christopher A. Young