OT. $1.59/gallon

Page 1 of 3

The lowest gasoline price I spotted while traveling I-70 from St. Louis to Kansas City 1/3/16.

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 9:51:56 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Spotted or bought? Doesn't it suck when you drive by a low gas price and don't need any? ;-)
I believe this map to be current as of 1/3/16.
http://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap

I found a chart showing the state to state prices. California is $1.16 higher than Missouri on average. http://preview.tinyurl.com/q57pjbt

Dean Hoffman wrote:

I paid $1.62 on US 65 a few miles south of Branson Mo. on New Years Day . Saw it as cheap as $1.59 down the highway , but what''s 3 cents ? It was $1.83 last I looked here but then it's always higher here .
--
Snag

On 01/03/2016 10:55 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

The last time I bought gas it was around $1.85 or so...relatively speaking it's cheaper now that it was in the good old days
On 1/4/2016 3:09 AM, philo wrote:

And going down. The supply is way too high, and there really is no way to create more demand. With climate change (thank you Republicans), the demand for heating oil is decreasing, with more fuel efficient vehicles (thank you Democrats) the demand for motor fuels is decreasing.
The retail distribution of gasoline is also changing to the benefit of the consumer, much to the dismay of smaller retailers, with Costco, along with large supermarket chains, getting into the retail distribution business and being willing and able to accept much lower margins. I.e., in my area I can buy gasoline from the nearby Shell refinery at Costco gas stations, at Arco gas stations, and at the shrinking number of Shell stations. They are probably also supplying a bunch of the other independent stations. The big money, even with lower oil prices, is in extracting and refining, not in retailing.
On 1/4/2016 11:31 AM, sms wrote:

As it goes down, the tax per gallon stays the same so in places like California it will never be as cheap. I see $1.85 here in Delaware.
Watch out, that's when the greedy government bastards will push for a tax increase.
Retired, don't drive that much, but figure I will save hundreds of $ on heating oil this season.
On 1/4/2016 9:46 AM, Frank wrote:

The federal gas tax has not been raised for 23 years. As a result, the interstate highway system is crumbling under a backlog of needed repairs.
If it could be guaranteed that an increase in the gas tax would be used for road construction then it would be a good time to raise it.
Also note that the retail price of gasoline is based on supply and demand. When taxes go up, the retail price does not necessarily go up by the amount of the tax increase. Often someone in the supply chain has to end up taking less, whether it's the oil supplier, the refiner, or the retailer.
California's gas tax is 19¢ higher than Delaware's but the difference in the price of gasoline is much greater than that. There are many other factors besides taxes that contribute to the price difference, some with a real basis, some with a fabricated basis.
In California, the tax per gallon is periodically adjusted. It just came down by 6¢ per gallon in 2015. Part of the gas tax is based on what the sales tax would be on fuel if sales tax were applied to fuel.

In California, natural gas is used for heating.
On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 8:53:47 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:

Baloney. With a functioning free market, with many players, competition, economics 101 says that the tax cost will be passed entirely to the consumer. Companies are not going to give up their profit, they just pass it along. Is this the new lib trick of the day? Pretend that a gasoline tax, or any other business tax for that matter, gets paid by someone other than the consumer?
On 1/5/2016 7:11 AM, trader_4 wrote:

More liberal class envy. Raise the taxes on corporations "who can afford it" and "who profit unfairly". Of course you are right, the only money corporations have is the money they took away from their customers.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

The libs keep forgetting that corporations don't pay taxes, their customers do. It's just another cost of business that gets passed onto the consumer like the electric bill.
You can't expect people with a Soviet mindset to understand the way the market works. They want it all centrally controlled to conform to their addled notions of "social justice." (When an American leftist starts ranting and spewing about "social justice" be sure to hang on to your wallet!)
On 1/4/2016 8:53 PM, sms wrote:

California is not really a free market and state restrictions are largely responsible for high gas cost. Gas would be even cheaper if it were not for all the boutique fuel requirements in lots of places. Ethanol requirement also adds to the mess. Government over regulation and crony capitalism screw the consumer all the time.
Would love to have natural gas heat but when my house was built the gas company would not put in lines so I was stuck with oil. Some in the neighborhood have gas trucked in.
On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 8:47:39 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

I was watching American Greed on CNBC the other night. It's a series of real life scammers, crooks, who bilk people. They had an episode about a black guy in DE who figured out how to take advantage of the biofuel subsidies. When you produce a gallon of biofuel, you get what amounts to about a 50 cent token that you can sell to companies buying them. The companies that buy them are oil refiners and similar, who have to either put biofuel into their product or buy sufficient of these tokens to cover it.
So, this guy fills out the EPA paperwork, claiming that he has 27 plants producing biodiesel from waste cooking oil, gets listed in the EPA directory. Companies start buying those tokens from him. In fact, he has no production facility at all. Soon he's selling a couple hundred thousand dollars worth a month. And right after receiving payment, he buys another Bentley, Ferrari, etc. This went on for a couple years. Finally, because he was such a large "producer", the companies began to wonder why they never heard of his company, never heard of a real plant, etc. Eventually, the EPA came over for a visit and he took them to an empty warehouse that had 3 tanks, claimed it used to be the facility. He drove them around, told them his other plants were over there and there, but couldn't take them there. So, that was the end, right? No, the EPA just went away and the scan continued for another half year.
What finally did him in? He was living in a nice middle class neighborhood and buying and parking all those fancy cars on the street. He had about 15 of them and it got so bad the school bus stopped coming down the subdivision street, for fear of hitting one of his cars. So, parents had to take their kids out to the main road. That got one mom pissed and she called the local cops. They took a look, found it interesting and started doing some investigating. They uncovered the scam. By the time he was caught, he had pocketed tens of millions of dollars. He wound up getting 12 years. You can just imagine how much more of this there is in all the crony capitalism subsidy programs, in one form or another.
On 1/5/2016 9:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It's leading to our economic downfall. I read it happened to Argentina many years ago.
The first rule of business is to go where the money is. If government is the source of money, business goes there for it.
When the government has problems they will place the blame on the business but today's business men, for the most part, don't care because they took the money and ran.
On 01/05/2016 07:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It's always been so. Remember Billy Sol Estes?
On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 9:39:40 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:

Yes, except that today there are even more govt subsidy, govt tax credit programs to scam.
On 1/5/2016 9:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Sounds like a heck of a ride for a while. Hope he had the foresight to buy some attorneys and hide some funds for his legal defense.
sms wrote:

There must be LSD-25 in that Koolaid you've been drinking , because you're hallucinating . When are you people going to learn that BOTH PARTIES are complicit in the way things are ? They're all bought by the same people , and any difference is purely an illusion to keep the sheeple in line . And as far as global warming , that's been shown to be pure undiluted horseshit . When "scientists" have to go back and change the data to fit their conclusions ... all I can say is "follow the money" and see who's benefitting from it . You'll fond it's the same people that are pushing it so hard .
--
Snag

On 1/4/2016 12:47 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I worked in R&D most of my life.
People refuse to believe that scientists would fudge to give the answers that people that pay them want.
Most of these scientists work for the government and we know what the current government wants.
On 1/4/2016 2:52 PM I live in an oil patch area and my dog and I were just out walking. A motel is few blocks away and walked past it, what a difference a year or two makes, a couple of years ago the parking lot was full of oil/gas company trucks of all kinds, today there wasn't a single one. When the oil patch is good it's very good, when it's bad... boom and bust, boom and bust over and over. I doubt we've seen the low for crude yet and no telling how long till we have a shortage again but it will happen. http://www.livecharts.co.uk/MarketCharts/crude.php