OT. $1.59/gallon

Take it up with the Bishop...

Reply to
burfordTjustice

More liberal class envy. Raise the taxes on corporations "who can afford it" and "who profit unfairly". Of course you are right, the only money corporations have is the money they took away from their customers.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The problem is that the EPA does not recognize the concept of "diminishing returns."

Reply to
Roger Blake

California is not really a free market and state restrictions are largely responsible for high gas cost. Gas would be even cheaper if it were not for all the boutique fuel requirements in lots of places. Ethanol requirement also adds to the mess. Government over regulation and crony capitalism screw the consumer all the time.

Would love to have natural gas heat but when my house was built the gas company would not put in lines so I was stuck with oil. Some in the neighborhood have gas trucked in.

Reply to
Frank

The libs keep forgetting that corporations don't pay taxes, their customers do. It's just another cost of business that gets passed onto the consumer like the electric bill.

You can't expect people with a Soviet mindset to understand the way the market works. They want it all centrally controlled to conform to their addled notions of "social justice." (When an American leftist starts ranting and spewing about "social justice" be sure to hang on to your wallet!)

Reply to
Roger Blake

No government agency does. They all have the same philosophy that saving just one life is priceless.

Reply to
Frank

I was watching American Greed on CNBC the other night. It's a series of real life scammers, crooks, who bilk people. They had an episode about a black guy in DE who figured out how to take advantage of the biofuel subsidies. When you produce a gallon of biofuel, you get what amounts to about a 50 cent token that you can sell to companies buying them. The companies that buy them are oil refiners and similar, who have to either put biofuel into their product or buy sufficient of these tokens to cover it.

So, this guy fills out the EPA paperwork, claiming that he has

27 plants producing biodiesel from waste cooking oil, gets listed in the EPA directory. Companies start buying those tokens from him. In fact, he has no production facility at all. Soon he's selling a couple hundred thousand dollars worth a month. And right after receiving payment, he buys another Bentley, Ferrari, etc. This went on for a couple years. Finally, because he was such a large "producer", the companies began to wonder why they never heard of his company, never heard of a real plant, etc. Eventually, the EPA came over for a visit and he took them to an empty warehouse that had 3 tanks, claimed it used to be the facility. He drove them around, told them his other plants were over there and there, but couldn't take them there. So, that was the end, right? No, the EPA just went away and the scan continued for another half year.

What finally did him in? He was living in a nice middle class neighborhood and buying and parking all those fancy cars on the street. He had about 15 of them and it got so bad the school bus stopped coming down the subdivision street, for fear of hitting one of his cars. So, parents had to take their kids out to the main road. That got one mom pissed and she called the local cops. They took a look, found it interesting and started doing some investigating. They uncovered the scam. By the time he was caught, he had pocketed tens of millions of dollars. He wound up getting 12 years. You can just imagine how much more of this there is in all the crony capitalism subsidy programs, in one form or another.

Reply to
trader_4

When I was a kid you could get a gallon of gas, or a quart of milk or a pack of cigarettes for 25 cents.

Look at the relative prices now. Not sure about the price of milk but offhand think the price of a gallon of gas would get you two quarts of milk and maybe 8 cigarettes.

Price of a gallon of gas today would get you a pound of cabbage, 3/4 lb. tomatoes or 2 oz. beef tenderloin.

Reply to
Frank

when I was a college student. Of course minimum wage was $1.60 per hour at the time. So I had to work an hour to buy 7 gallons of gas. So if minimum wage is $15.00 per hour, one can buy 10 gallons of $1.50 per gallon gas. Th at's progress!?(*?*)?

That shows the main advantage of higher gas prices.

It takes much less time to put $20 worth of gas in your tank than it used to.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It's leading to our economic downfall. I read it happened to Argentina many years ago.

The first rule of business is to go where the money is. If government is the source of money, business goes there for it.

When the government has problems they will place the blame on the business but today's business men, for the most part, don't care because they took the money and ran.

Reply to
Frank

It's always been so. Remember Billy Sol Estes?

Reply to
rbowman

Yes, except that today there are even more govt subsidy, govt tax credit programs to scam.

Reply to
trader_4

No, I didn't. As usual? I always think you are seriuos. Your objections seemed the same style as those who are serious.

Reply to
Micky

Sounds like a heck of a ride for a while. Hope he had the foresight to buy some attorneys and hide some funds for his legal defense.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

on 1/3/2016, Dean Hoffman supposed :

Regular gas is $2.89 to $3.09 here in the Inland Empire, Riverside County Calif...... today.

Reply to
Eagle

I put $20 of gas in my van Monday at $1.59 a gallon. I nearly had 3/4 of a tank!

Reply to
Muggles

Isn't that a shame? I remember filling My 1969 Roadrunners 20 gallon tank with premium gas for $7.20! If it was a gas war, gas was .18c a gallon!

Reply to
Eagle

The main advantage of higher gas prices is that it doesn't take as long to put $20 in your tank. Just think of all the time you're saving. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't wait for the spout to auto shut off now, I look at the dollar amount and shut it off at $50.00 now. :/ I use 102 octane aircraft fuel for My C10 and get it in 5 gallon plastic containers.

Reply to
Eagle

383 with only a Carter four barrel. 1969. Hurst 4 speed. Radio and heater. Power steering? Memory lapse on that. No AC. Beep Beep.
Reply to
Dean Hoffman