lowest night temp?

What is the lowest night time temp that orchids can tolerate? I have phals in front of a large window. They get morning sun only but at this time of year the sun is fairly weak.

I have the daytime temps at 69 and night at 67. That's one degree lower than usual. Is that OK?

thanks

Reply to
YvonneD

Somewhere in the 55°-60° range is my preference.

One thing to keep in mind is that while most phals grow better if kept really warm (80's, low 90's with lots of shade and humidity), some phals need a couple weeks of cooler temperatures (about 15° lower, on average) in order to initiate flower spikes.

Most of the time (depending upon where you live), the cold from the window will provide that around this time of year, and you'll see blossoms about February - just when you need them to get over the winter doldrums.

Ray Barkalow - First Rays LLC -

Orchid Plants, Supplies, Equipment, Books Artwork, Free Services & Lots of Info!

Reply to
Ray B

A presentation at Norman's (Orchids.com) stated they need about 50 deg F to iniitate the spikes. I have my Phals in the back bedroom near a window and at night, with our heater off, we can see 50 deg. I live in So Calif near Pomona.

Will be great for the flowers. Seems cold should not hurt orchids unless, of course, they freeze.

My cymbidiums also get this 'cool' treatment for their subsequent flower spikes. They are outside and I do not worry about them unless it gets below freezing for several nights in a row. I 'watch' them with a remote thermometer and figure they are good down to 30 deg F. Could be lower but do not care to push it.

I also grow oranges in the central valley (not where I live) and they CAN take down to 26 deg due to the sugar content. Also depends on how long this low is maintained.

Vito

Reply to
Uncle_vito

Orchids can tolerate fairly low temperatures as long as it's not for long periods of time. I've heard that Phals can telerate 40+ temps and survive. But be careful. I once took a phal to photograph it in the snow and it died shortly afterwards. Study up on the different species since some can survive colder temperatures than others. It just depends on their natural growing region

Reply to
NY orchid lover