Orchid identification.

I bought this at Costco. The flower had already bloomed but was well beyond its prime. It's many months later and the plant looks very healthy. Any idea what kind it is?

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
David Farber

Its an oncidium of some sort. Yes, you are doing a nice job with it. Congrats!

K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett

Hi K.

Thanks for the id. Can you tell from the close up how much longer it will be until the flowers bloom?

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
David Farber

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your analysis. I'll post pics of the blooms when they arrive.

Reply to
David Farber

OOps, I looked at the pic again and it will be a few weeks before the buds open.

K Barrett

There are two Norman's locations in L.A. One is in Montclair and there is a sister store in the Flower District of downtown Los Angeles called, "Orchid Affair." The downtown store has one set of business hours for wholesalers and another set for regular people. It's on my to do list.

The blooms opened up yesterday. So what do the experts say?

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
David Farber

Well, a month ago, I said the pseudobulbs looked too elongated to be pure Oncidium. Now that I see the flowers, I don't see anything there but Oncidium. It's not exactly like any one I remember seeing in person. I can't even tell you if it's a species or a hybrid.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Is there a word in the orchid world which is equivalent to the word, "mutt," in the dog world?

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
David Farber