Night time visitors

While sitting outside last night, before the moon was up, I started hearing noises and turned on the flashlight to find the cutest group of four little skunks I've ever seen. You know they have virtually no fear of humans until you get excited and stand up cursing. I got out the "Have a Heart" trap, put some canned dog food inside and half hoped to catch them and half hoped I didn't. The trap was empty this morning.

I'll try again tonight.

Mysterious Traveler

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

Couple of years ago I trapped a momma skunk and she had 4 kids that would not leave and were jumping all around and over the trap. Managed to get it open and release her without getting sprayed. I regret not videotaping because it was one of the neatest things I had ever seen. They say a skunk will not spray when in a trap but I'll be damned if I'd put it in my car to relocate to a remote area. I had thought it was raccoons getting at my garbage but ended up solving problem with a locking can lid. Skunks left the area.

Reply to
Frank

I had a family of littles ones fall asleep under my camping chair while sitting by a fire. I watched the mother get real close the fire and the fire cracked. It scared the skunk, its tail went up but then she calmed down. The rest of the people I was camping with though I was nuts to sit that close. They hid in the camper until they left, about 2 hours later.

Reply to
Thomas

If I ping one with a BB gun, how far can it piss?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Why bother them, their favorite food is rodents, you could have a real nightmare trapping one and have the rest protect it. They really wont bother you, they are more scared than you.

Reply to
ransley

Aw, the little guys are just trying to make a living in difficult times.

Me? I'd put out the dog food without a trap.

Reply to
HeyBub

On Fri 07 Aug 2009 09:50:22a, Mysterious Traveler told us...

I have a co-worker who has a pet skunk that he acquired as a four week old abandoned baby that he bottle fed. At 3 months he had her de-scented and spayed. "Lily" lives indoors and is very much like a cat in behavior. She uses a litterbox, eats mostly cat food and various other foods and supplements recommended by her vet. She is now about 6 years old and has made a wonderful pet.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

They showed a lady on tv news who did that with raccoons and she woulnt stop, after a year she had 40 or so at her pool every night eating a few big bags of dog food, she didnt want to stop because she was afraid they would starve and said she couldnt afford to pay her other bills.

Reply to
ransley

Heh! I saw that. Animal control came out with 40-50 traps. They didn't reveal the actual outcome, though.

Reply to
HeyBub

Van Chocstraw wrote in news:RKGdnfxcL8pKLeHXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

1 ft farther than you would like.
Reply to
Red Green

A good bait is an egg. Just put it in the havaheart and you should catch it. I have bees, and as long as the skunks stay away from them all is fine. Occasionally I have to trap one and remove it.

I approach the trap with a tarp in front of me and cover the trap. Then take it to where it is to be released. Lock one end open and get away. Usually they just leave and do not spray.

However, if they are not bothering anything, leave them be since they do clear out a lot of things like grubs that feed on lawns.

GA

Reply to
George Abbot