Spotlight Wiring

With the light switch off, but the fuse box on, if I unscrew where a metal outdoor spotlight base meets the soffit, and grasp and pull the base, AND if part of the base touches a wire left bare behind it, would I be electrocuted? As for why I'm not turning off the fuse and why there might me a bare wire behind the base, don't ask.

Reply to
nielloeb

Depends. If the switch was wired correctly, you should not be. But we don't know that. We don't know what bare wire you are talking about either. You won't get the OK from me.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Fiberglass ladder, tennis shoes, and rubber gloves, you should be okay.

Reply to
HeyBub

You never know wihtout testing. If you knew how to test I doubt if you would have asked the question. I suggest having a pro come in.

No one can really tell you from the information you gave us and likely even if you provided all the information available. There are far too many ways someone before you may have screwed up the wiring.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

No way to know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Always best to pull the fuse/breaker. But if you can't, I would do the following:

- Wear rubber/latex gloves, rubber soles (tennis shoes), use fiberglass ladder

- Check to make sure light really is off (even with photosensor coverd etc.)

- Tape off the light switch and put note there saying not to change it

- Make sure someone is around watching you or able to call for help if you are hurt

- Gently unscrew fixture making sure not to touch loose wires. Don't touch anything with your other hand.

- Use a proximity voltage sensor to touch all the wires in the box to make sure that there is no high voltage in the box

- Confirm that voltage is *really* not present by using a voltmeter or test light by testing between all the wires and neutral and ground (note the proximity sensors can be fooled).

- Proceed carefully. It is always good practice to get used to not simultaneously touching hot wires and neutral/ground at the same time.

Note shutting the breaker/fuse is always best but even if you do, there is always a chance that something is mislabelled or miswired leaving live circuits within the box so the above precautions should

*always* be followed.

Admission: I typically follow only a subset of the above but I usually know what I'm doing and I wouldn't recommend disregarding any safety measures.

If you are not comfortable with the above or don't understand it then call in an electrician.

Reply to
blueman