National Ammo Day

Page 3 of 6

I suspect it isn't his address, it is his teeny, tiny, little p. . . er, pistol that is the determining factor.
Actually, in my part of the world, "displaying" a pistol is a good way to get killed. Gang bangers will back off [maybe] but the minute you turn your back, they will

What's up with that? My local Lowes shares a parking lot with a grocery store. You would think they would draw the same clientele. I rarely see any overdressed ladies in the grocery store. But I see plenty in the Lowes.
Jim

Jesus Christ! Where do you live? The only scary things I see in the Home Depot parking lot are women who get all dolled up with makeup and jewelry to go to the hardware store.
Cindy Hamilton
===============
Everyone knows that the quality of the neighborhood means nothing when it comes to random crimes.
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

It could be that I was escorting an 18-year old, naked, blonde, female carrying a bag of gold that attracted their attention.
As for the women in your neighborhood getting all "dolled up," remember the maxim: "You tend to marry the people you're arround. Therefore, your job is to figure out where the right kind of people are - and go there." Perhaps these tarts really believe "It's so nice to have a man around the house..."
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

So....you have never done errands on lunch hour or the way home from work? Jeesh! Gotta go home after work, fix dinner, change clothes, run the kids to sports practice and get to Lowes before closing time? :o)

Well, I never wear makeup, but I have gone to Lowe's in a business suit on a weekday during the day, and very occasionally in the evening, although usually after work I go home, fix dinner, and stay in the rest of the evening. No kids.
However, on Saturdays, I'm usually sweaty and wearing some dirty, stained t-shirt and pants. And bitching about all of the "tourists" with their kids when I'm just there to buy some widget as efficiently as I can. That's when I can't fathom the broads in their fancy outfits. Don't they work right alongside their husbands? I do. If I didn't, I'd feel like I wasn't pulling my weight.
Cindy Hamilton
clipped

Welllll.....I work alongside my husband when absolutely necessary to keep him from mucking up something that should look decent or might cause the neighbors to complain. He can do a lot of stuff, and his talent runs more to demolition or moving objects of more than two tons in weight :o) I NEVER go higher on a ladder than the second step, except when the sign on second story of our condo needed to be painted. No way was I going to let him slop green paint on the newly painted white wall surrounding the sign. Did most of it with my eyes closed, esp. the climbing part :o) I don' t even go out on the neighbor's balcony because it exceeds my height tolerance...the finger dock at low tide is also a challenge :o)
My mom was a DIYer and had her own workshop when she passed away at age 82. My dad didn't have the patience to change a light bulb. Mom built her own kitchen cabinets, among other things....and she would never, ever, have gone shopping without makeup and normal lunch-with-the-girls outfit. :o)
Hubby did a lot of work around the condo. One day he was working on replacing a hose bib, which required all of the water to the entire building to be shut off. I knew of one resident, in particular, who would be mad as hell if the shut-off interrupted her obsessive/compulsive schedule. I waited while he fiddled for four hours trying to solder the new faucet. Finally went out and turned on the faucet at the dock, which I knew was lower than the faucet he worked on. Voila! No more water in his pipe, solder worked, all done :o) He knows how to bug the hell out of people and appear entirely innocent.

Well, I never wear makeup, but I have gone to Lowe's in a business suit on a weekday during the day, and very occasionally in the evening, although usually after work I go home, fix dinner, and stay in the rest of the evening. No kids.
However, on Saturdays, I'm usually sweaty and wearing some dirty, stained t-shirt and pants. And bitching about all of the "tourists" with their kids when I'm just there to buy some widget as efficiently as I can. That's when I can't fathom the broads in their fancy outfits. Don't they work right alongside their husbands? I do. If I didn't, I'd feel like I wasn't pulling my weight.
Cindy Hamilton
=========== Do you live in Long Island (NY)? That's where I've seen what you're talking about.
clipped

Long Island? Those dressed in fancy outfits were the hired help :o)
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:31:44 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

They seem to do a fine job. Safety for me means being able to get to good medical care and I doubt the insurance and pharma industries will let that happen. I am much more likely to die from a medical cause or an auto accident than I am from some guy shooting me.
dgk wrote:

Agreed. But a small cost to avoid a catastrophic result is generally a good deal.
You're not likely to a) Get the pig flu or, even if you DID get it, b) die from it. But the POSSIBILITY of contracting and succumbing suggests that a vaccination is prudent.
dgk wrote:

Good for you. I carry a pistol because I can't carry a cop.
Remember: "When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away!"

Told my neighbor, if I hear shots I will bring a pistol. We can sort them out later.

I see both sides of the permit issue. But let's set that aside for a moment. I have a question for you.
Hypothetical situation: Your female creature looks out the window and notices that a male neighbor is aiming a scoped rifle out from HIS window, aimed at YOUR window. Cops are called. Rifle isn't loaded, and the neighbor says "I don't own binoculars, so I was just using the scope to check out the pretty lady across the street."
No law was broken. Cops are frustrated, but there's nothing they can do. Go with this as the truth for the moment and tell me what an intelligent gun safety instructor would say about the situation.
No macho bar talk. Just the facts. I know it seems odd that I'm asking you this, but please roll with it for now.

I'd bust him for peeping. Depending on the state law, that might put him on the sex offender list.

See above.
--
To find that place where the rats don\'t race
and the phones don\'t ring at all.

he'd deserve the police call; any rifle scope can be DISMOUNTED from the rifle and used on it's own. then he's not pointing a rifle at somebody.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The first and most important rule for anyone who owns a gun. Never point it at anybody. Loaded or unloaded.
If you pointed at anybody with your unloaded gun, and the person at the end of the barrel feared for their life, or anyone witnessing your pointed gun feared for the targets life, they would be justified in taking you out. No warning needed. Bang your dead.

Correct - that's the answer: http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp
The idiot with the rifle later made it known that he was applying for a pistol permit. His neighbors (including a friend of mine and his wife, both shooters) contacted the appropriate parties to lodge a complaint. The idiot's permit was denied.
In my opinion, this was an example of the system working for the community. I already know the possible pitfalls. But I guess we're going to debate them now.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Oh, but there WAS a crime.
Usually, whether the gun was loaded, or even if there WAS a gun, is irrelevant. It is the apprehension of the situation by the victim, where applicable, that determines the offense. For example, suppose someone hands a note to a teller that says: "Give me the money, I've got a gun." The offense is armed robbery without regard for whether the scrot even HAD a gun.
At a minimum, you've outlined an assault (classic definition: Serious threat to inflict bodily harm coupled with the immediate ability to carry out that threat). That said, how do the cops know the rifle wasn't loaded. How do the cops know whether he was just a peeping Tom? He admitted pointing a rifle at another person. That's enough.
In the case you mentioned, I'd have busted the dude for attempted murder and let the D.A. sort it out. The D.A. would probably let the squint plead to misdemeanor mopery and pay a fine.

Those DAs in Texas always overcharge. It would probably be felonious assholery.
--
To find that place where the rats don\'t race
and the phones don\'t ring at all.
dgk wrote:

New law in California. Buyer must present identification and that information, plus a thumbprint, is logged by the seller. Also, all sales must be face-to-face, i.e., no more internet sales.