National Ammo Day

Subject: National Ammo Day

A brief explanation - What is National Ammo Day? November 19 is National Ammo Day.

It is a nationwide BUYcott of ammunition. You buy ammunition. 100 Rounds a person.

The goals of Ammo Day:

The goal of National Ammo Day is to empty the ammunition from the shelves of your local gun store, sporting goods, or hardware store and put that ammunition in the hands of law-abiding citizens. Make your support of the Second Amendment known--by voting with your dollars!

There are an estimated 75 MILLION gun owners in the United States of America. If each gun owner or Second Amendment supporter buys 100 rounds of ammunition, that's 7.5 BILLION rounds in the hands of law-abiding citizens!

The gun/ammunition manufacturers have been taking the brunt of all the frivolous lawsuits, trying to put these folks out of business. Well, not if we can help it! And we CAN help it by buying ammunition on November 19!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

[snip]

It's also No Smoking Day.

Reply to
Sam E

All you have to do is mention gun control legislation and guns and ammo sales skyrocket.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

And you're going to limit this to law abiding citizens how?

Reply to
dgk

Criminals usually carry the gun around with the ammo that was in when it was stolen and they throw it away when they shoot someone.

Reply to
gfretwell

Where have you been, or not been, for the last several months? There is basically no ammo out there to be purchased as it was all purchased and hoarded by the ultra conservative nuts after the last election. Hell, I have had 9mm on order since early September and now it is not expected in until December 21st and I would be willing to bet that gets changed again.

The ammo manufacturers are certainly not going out of business. In fact, they have been working three shifts just attempting to keep up with demand.

Just point your browser to

and note that after you get down to the 4th row (after the specialty stuff) that everything is back ordered!

In short, your idea is not only a bad idea, it is also several months late.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

Holy crap. I haven't checked ammo prices in a while. That site gave me a headache. Two years ago, I bought .40 cal Speer Lawman for $10 per box.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

For sure, ammo has been in short supply for the exact reason you described. And the cost of the little that is available is breathtaking.

Reply to
George

CORRECTION:

Each person buying 100 rounds is patchwork. There are (about) 260 million guns in the U.S. What needs to happen is each gun owner should buy 100 rounds PER WEAPON. For example, 100 rounds of 9 mm for my Uzi won't fit my AK47 no matter how many curse words I use. If that kind of standard is followed, we're talking 26 billion bullets.

Sadly, though, there are not 26 billion cartridges, nor, for that matter,

7.5 billion, available for sale. On the plus side, ammunition has a shelf-life measured in multiple decades, so one could start stocking up (and hope that he's not overtaken by events).

The market is, however, growing. A report out just today says there were over 1 million gun purchases in September (+12%). While gun owners are often like cat owners (they typically have more than one), this increase no doubt includes a significant number of first-time buyers.

HeyBub

On 11/17/2009 5:40 AM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

So how, exactly, do you know that all of these ammo-buyers are what you call "law-abiding citizens"?

This oughta be interesting ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Anyone caught smoking on Nov 19 will be shot. And now I've got the bullet to do it with.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Fingerprints, background check. Waiting period. Registration. National ID card, approval from the local sherrif, and a note from your mom. Nothing unreasonable, right?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What's your point?

Reply to
tnom

On 11/17/2009 4:37 PM snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net spake thus:

My point, if one were too dense to deduce it from my question, is this: how many of those 7.5 billion rounds would end up in the hands of those you'd rather it not (like people who might want to rip you off or otherwise do you harm)?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

My understanding is that the shelves are already empty, and ammo is as high as it has ever been in price. This helps how?

Reply to
Bob F

And, do you think crooks behaviour will be changed by a usenet post?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The volume of ammo that has been purchased over the past year is far far in excess of anything that could be attributed to "ultra conservative nuts". The fact is that tens of millions of Americans have been buying both guns and ammo, including a lot of folks who formerly thought of themselves as pro gun control. It's been something of an awakening of people to their gun rights. In some left leaning states there are gun shortages as well, not just ammo.

Reply to
Pete C.

On 11/17/2009 5:14 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Not in the least.

[The rest of your post was lost due to incorrect settings, apparently, in your news client that puts everything below into your sig. I'll post more on this later ...]
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The report doesn't mention (I know that) how many guns changed hands over an adult beverage. Then the numbers go up.

Reply to
Oren

Back door economic stimulus package.

TDD