National Ammo Day

They seem to do a fine job. Safety for me means being able to get to good medical care and I doubt the insurance and pharma industries will let that happen. I am much more likely to die from a medical cause or an auto accident than I am from some guy shooting me.

Reply to
dgk

Joe, I suspect you will die of some other cause and never have to shoot some mugger.

Reply to
dgk

Probably, but I was happy I had it one day when two dogs came within a forbidden distance from my son and began acting in ways I do not allow. That ended well, although unfortunately, the dogs did not end up being shot.

By the way, "mugger" is not the correct term for someone breaking into a house while the occupants are home. The correct word is "thing". When someone does that, they are automatically relinquishing their status as humans.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That could very well be, simply because he IS armed.

I've displayed my pistol three times in 13 years (twice in a Home Depot parking lot!). In all three cases, I was being approached by a dissolute wreck who refused my command to stop and come no closer. One had a tire iron in his hand.

Maybe these good folks only wanted to bum a smoke are ask for spare change. I don't know. But I wasn't willing to find out.

At least one of these encounters easily ranks as a "Defensive Use of Firearm," of which, according to best estimates, there are some eight million each year in the U.S.

Reply to
HeyBub

Agreed. But a small cost to avoid a catastrophic result is generally a good deal.

You're not likely to a) Get the pig flu or, even if you DID get it, b) die from it. But the POSSIBILITY of contracting and succumbing suggests that a vaccination is prudent.

Reply to
HeyBub

The correct term for a person who broke into your house is "A person presenting an imminent threat of bodily harm while committing a forcible felony". Getting that description straight will make your conversation with the police go easier. You probably won't even have to go downtown to fill out the report. (if you live in a castle state)

Reply to
gfretwell

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. When I'm threatened at that level, the human will instantly be viewed as a thing, no different from a paper target at the gun range. Hey - call me cold, but that's what has to happen sometimes.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Have you paid attention to what has happened in Zimbabwe in just the last few years? It's very educational to see just how quickly it can happen.

Reply to
Pete C.

Or anywhere in Africa, which is a very strange place.

Almost New Orleans, too.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I thought that someone breaking into a home was a "moving target" soon to become a "stationary target".

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I suppose that is why 90% of the Florida CCW course is on the legal aspects of actually shooting someone. It is a Pyrrhic victory if you keep someone from stealing your $1000 plasma TV and it costs you $20,000 in legal bills.

Reply to
gfretwell

This assumes the body is found.

Keep in mind that if someone breaks into a home knowing that it's occupied, there is only one safe assumption you can make: They intend to hurt or kill you. The only people who'd make any other assumption are morons or extreme Unitarians.

However, I will tell you that I have a monster of a flashlight with which to blind an intruder while telling it to get down on the floor instantly. I hate to clean, so I'd prefer not to shoot anything in my home. But if I finish with the word floor, then count to 1 and I don't see compliance, then all bets are off.

I really don't care about people like that. It's a mindset you have to learn before you even buy a gun.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"Pete C." wrote in news:4b06ddf7$0$6691$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

Oh,like the LA riots several years ago? Or the criminal ATF/FBI attack on the Branch Davidians.

keep an eye on Venezuela.Chavez will do the same to his nation.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

You start burying bodies in your yard and $20,000 won't cover your legal bills. You might even get on Dateline.

Reply to
gfretwell

Did you know that northern pike will eat ANYTHING?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

So will pigs and wild boar, if you have access to either of those.

Reply to
aemeijers

Agreed. The charge is "desecration of a corpse" or "interfering with a dead body."

If you just leave them where they drop, no problem.

There's no requirement that you report a body on your doorstep. Remember, you have no obligation to inform or otherwise talk to the police.

Reply to
HeyBub

Assuming this was a justifiable shooting, why not have the cops come out and clean up the mess for you.

Reply to
gfretwell

Jesus Christ! Where do you live? The only scary things I see in the Home Depot parking lot are women who get all dolled up with makeup and jewelry to go to the hardware store.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

My wife had some Mexican guy try to steal her change purse (and Blackberry) at the HD the other day. She stomped on his foot and pushed him on his ass, then tried to run over him with her car but he was a fast little bugger and got away. The HD has it all on camera and turned it over to the cops but there is not much they are going to do about it.

Reply to
gfretwell