Monitored Burglar System

Page 2 of 2

k.net!spamkiller.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!trnddc01.POSTED!7626073e!not-for-mail
If you want an effective monitored system make sure that is uses a dedicated phone line which is always online to the monitoring station or a cellular link etc. The autodialer systems that are frequently installed are disabled as easily as cutting the phone lines. Of course that won't effect the audible alarm.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Unless you've got a REALLY high-end home full of valuables, the chances of the phone line being cut prior to a break-in are negligible. In any event, if somebody wants to break in, they're going to be able to do it, regardless of whether an alarm is present or not.
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid
| E-mail address is munged. Instead of dot invalid, use dot net
So in other words, why even bother to lock the doors?
@hotmail.com says...

If your house is the one with unlocked doors, then you easily make your house the one that's most appealing on your street (assuming that they test the doors and find out they're unlocked).
The idea is not to make your house impenetrable, it's to make your house less attractive than other houses by making it less appealing to a would- be thief. Locks, alarms, dogs, and whatnot make your house less attractive than the next guy's house. It's called 'target hardening' - if a burglar is going to break into a home on your street, he's probably going to pick the one with the most reward and the least risk. As to the original comment (about having cellular backup), most burglars will not bother cutting phone lines before getting in - there's no need; if an alarm is present, it'll be a deterrent, and the thief has no way of knowing whether a cellular backup is present anyway.
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid

The trick is to have a FAKE phone line and a burglar alarm that will alarm when the fake phone line is cut.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

I sincerely hope you're not that paranoid. If you are, I suggest building a fake house next to yours with lots of fake valuables to be a decoy, so that the burglar breaks into that one instead of yours.
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid

Not a matter of being paranoid, just having twists that a burglar would be hard to anticipate.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
says... | > >The trick is to have a FAKE phone line and a burglar alarm that will | > >alarm when the fake phone line is cut.
George Wenzel wrote: "The idea is not to make your house impenetrable, it's to make your house less attractive than other houses by making it less appealing to a would- be thief. Locks, alarms, dogs, and whatnot make your house less attractive than the next guy's house. It's called 'target hardening' - if a burglar is going to break into a home on your street, he's probably going to pick the one with the most reward and the least risk."
George Wenzel also wrote:
| > I sincerely hope you're not that paranoid. If you are, I suggest | > building a fake house next to yours with lots of fake valuables to be a | > decoy, so that the burglar breaks into that one instead of yours.
Sounds like Nick is suggesting what you encouraged, yet you're critical of that. I sense a contradiction.
@hotmail.com says...

I don't see any contradiction. Nick suggested having a fake phone line that would trigger an alarm if cut. I can't see how that makes a home any less attractive to a potential thief - after all, there isn't really any way for a burglar to know whether the phone line is fake, and incidences of phone lines being cut during break-ins are exceedingly rare.
If you want to secure your home against a break-in, using good locks, lighting, possibly an alarm system, and a dog are the best deterrents. You're better off focusing your energies on what's known to work rather than installing "fake phone lines" that aren't likely to do a thing to prevent a break-in.
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid
When we built our last home, I ran the phoneline, where it came out of the ground, thru a 1" black "gas" pipe, up from the concrete slab and into the wall of the garage. I had the installer put the Interface box inside the garage instead of on an outside wall. There was no sign of any phone components outside.

A break in the phone line is an automatic alarm - no questions asked.
As a jewelry store owner, know more about alarms than one should ever need to know. ADT is a known evil, but reliable. They look to make a dime anytime they can! __________________________ Totus Tuus Claudia Satori

It's one thing to secure a jewelry store, and quite another to secure a house. I dare say that most jewelry stores have far more easily-portable and easily-fenced valuables than most homes.
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid
"Mike" wrote

To benefit from the alarm discount on the insurance, very often the insurance company will deny any claim for theft from intruders if the alarm is not activated. So pop across the road to a neighbour for a few seconds (or possibly even just into the back garden) leaving the alarm off, and an opportunist thief reaches through an open window or walks in and out, and you aren't covered for the theft. Could cost you a lot more than $45.
Owain

You could have a self monitored system. Mine costs just a pager and tells ME when anything happens. No false alarms, just raw data (like car in driveway, back door opened, movement in kitchen, etc)
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
wrote: | | > I'm looking for a monitored burglar alarm system for my house. | > My insurance agent tells me a monitored system will reduce my | > home owners insurance policy by $80.00 a year. I estimate the annual | > cost of the system will be around $125.00 a year for a net cost of about | > $45.00 | > a year. | | You could have a self monitored system. Mine costs just a pager and | tells ME when anything happens. No false alarms, just raw data (like | car in driveway, back door opened, movement in kitchen, etc) | | -- | Free men own guns, slaves don't | www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
The town I live in allows my alarm system dialer to phone the Police department with a recorded message and they will respond. I needed to apply for a free permit to do this and after 4 false alarms in a calendar year I would have to pay a fine for every subsequent one. I also have the dialer programmed to call both mine and my wife's cell phones.

I'll check w/ the insurance company.
Mike

Check out alt.security.alarms Bunch of pros hang out there. Good advice, but the NG can be a little rough at times.
Bob

Good advice .
Thanks.
Mike